Author Topic: pizza screens , oh what a marvel!  (Read 2330 times)

Offline leopold

• I Love Pizza!
pizza screens , oh what a marvel!
« on: March 07, 2006, 07:46:05 PM »
I just ended my two weeks- at- home rotation , while I was home I made at least one pizza a day using  my recently acquired pizza screen . great toasty bottom!!!
also started building a wood fired oven but did not get to finish it.
I will report back when I do finish it.     

Offline MTpizzamama

• I wish....
Re: pizza screens , oh what a marvel!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:51:52 PM »
 :pizza:Don't you just love those pizza screens!!  I found mine at a restaurant supply house and I love them.  The best part about them is that they cost less than the ones I bought at the major retail stores.  Mine were under $5.00 a piece. 

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:53:42 PM »
pizza screens are neat aren't they.  I have 2 of them, and haven't used them in quite some time, I should try
one out again.  As for the wood fired oven, you are going to HAVE TO post some pictures of that !

what is a 2 weeks at home rotation ?? ... that has me totally puzzled.  you get 2 weeks off work then 2 weeks
on ? then 2 weeks off sort of deal ?

I just ended my two weeks- at- home rotation , while I was home I made at least one pizza a day using  my recently acquired pizza screen . great toasty bottom!!!
also started building a wood fired oven but did not get to finish it.
I will report back when I do finish it.     
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline leopold

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:43:34 PM »
I will post pictures of my attempt at building the wood fired oven , I have learned everything I know on this forum so it should come out good ,exept for one thing : I made the  mold and formed about a 3 inch layer of pottery grade clay around it ( the idea was that when it dryed I would take it to the pottery kilns -plenty around here-and have it fired like a clay pot. then I would bring it home and install it . problem is that it cracked badly when it dryed, I told this to the pottery crafters and they told me I should have told them of my purpose when I bought the clay from them.
they say that more sand in the clay would have prevented the cracking. I will be home in less than two weeks so I will givet another try .
and yes I work two weeks and I am off for two weeks ( off shore oil helicopter captain )
 thanks a bunch
leo

Offline pizza-anytime

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 02:02:02 PM »
Hi leopold, i have just tried using an airbake aluminum perforated pan...but the crust turned out real soggy and completely white on the bottom even though the pizza was welldone on the top. this morning, i saw a guy on foodnetwork using a pizza screen. He placed the rolled out dough directly onto the pizza screen and baked at 500 degrees for 10 mins. his pizza looked crisp and brown.
I'm not familiar with pizza screens at all. Can you plz tell me how your pizza crust turns out and at what tempratures do bake when using the screen. could u plz post a picture of ur screen. is it dark in color? Thanks. 

Offline leopold

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »
Hello Pizza-anytime   I have nothing but good things to say about pizza screens , The crust bottom comes out nice and brown and with a nice texture . I took advise from the good people in this forum and always preheat the oven at full temperature for half an hour , then my pizza bakes in about ten minutes . just make sure you dust the screen well before putting the pizza on it or you may end up with a pizza stuck to the screen .
also after about seven minutes in the oven I start checking the bottom of the pizza for browning ,one time I ended up with a burnt pizza for keeping it in the oven for just a little too long.
I bought my screens at a restaurant equipment store in bellflower , ca. but you can buy them at abestkitchen.com they are not too expensive and you WILL bake a better pizza.
your pizza screens will turn dark wit use , I do not know how to post pictures but I promise I will learn so I can share my learning adventures .
have a great day.
leo

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 01:06:02 PM »
Hey there 'pizza-anytime',

The thing that comes to my mind is your oven.

if your pizza was white and soggy on the bottom, this to me, means that your
bottom oven element is not working properly.

Did you pre-heat your oven for a good 20 mins - 30 mins ?

By this I mean, you get your temp up to 500 degrees for example, and then you count
at least 20 - 30 mins before you get that pizza in there.

Many people I know, will actually throw a pizza, or a pie, or whatever into a stove while
the oven is pre-heating ! ( yes, many actually do this, and have been doing it for years and
don't know they are doing something wrong )

In any event, if the oven has been pre-heated properly, the bottom of the pizza should have been
done quite a bit.

However, perhaps it could have been something with the dough.... ? ... was the dough very wet ?

good luck with future pizzas.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline rocket

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 08:54:26 PM »
is it better to grease the screens with crisco or pam spray to prevent sticking?

Offline OZZIEPIE

• CRIKEY..LOOK OUT FOR THAT BASE
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 11:43:29 PM »
not that i have used them..but was thinking the same as rocket,wouldnt flour burn and bitter the dough..we use a flower spray bottle and put oil in it..works great to cover pans without brushing it..
ITS ALL ABOUT THE FLAVOUR GUYS