Author Topic: Pizza catering business  (Read 1475 times)

Offline ModMark

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza catering business
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:11:31 AM »

Blame it on the extra hour of sleep but I have a dream today of a pizza catering business. could also be considered low volume wholesale. By catering (or wholesale) I mean no retail store front.

Basically the pizza will be baked over a couple hours time with delivery cycles every 20 minutes. Selling pizzas which have been sitting in a warming oven for a hour is not an option.

The problem I see based on my previous experience as a banquet cook in a large restaurant, one person could do all the prep work during the day but this may require alot of labor during the cooking stage. Hiring people for a few hours work may be a issue.

Would it be possible to maintain a quality product by pre-building the pizza's? This may mean a pizza is chilled for a few hours before cooking. Of course they can be brought to room temperature before cooking.

Any thoughts?

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Pizza catering business
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »
I guess it is all about what you consider high quality and what kind of pizza you are striving for.  I grew up in NJ about 15 minutes from NYC(with no traffic :) ).  The NYC standard for food was present in our area and would never go for this approach but now I am living in Ohio and your approach would be no problem.  Personally I would not do your approach.  When I make a pizza it has to be like I am making it for my peers back in the NYC scene.  For me a pizza has to be assembled and cooked direct on a stone deck oven all in one shot to satify my taste.  depending on how many pies you plan to do a day, if you went the conveyor oven route one person could make the dough/do topping prep/make the pies on pans/put in cooler and cook them at a later time. Walter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:14:17 PM by waltertore »

Offline ModMark

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza catering business
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »
Never mix business with pleasure, selling authentic NY style pizza could be a disaster for my targeted market.

It seems a conveyor oven would be better suit to a retail business, a continuous flow pizzas. I envision 4 Blodgget stacked up. but it has been a long time since I was a commercial baker.

Concerning NYC, I think a deli may be more of a challenge. Last trip to Long Island we went to one of those special deli, the sandwiches were so good and unique.

Anyways, thanks for the reply..