Author Topic: The Pizza Bible  (Read 17814 times)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Re: The Pizza Bible
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »
He could do Gladiator-themed pizza parties between book signings...  :-D
And from you of all people Craig!  The guy who didn't like the Ryan Gosling comparison...  :D
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
And from you of all people Craig!  The guy who didn't like the Ryan Gosling comparison...  :D
Cheers,
Don

To be honest, when you made the Ryan Gosling comparison, I confused him with Jon Gosselin. I just now realized my mistake. What can I say, I'm not much up on pop culture.  :-D  You are back on the invite list.  ;D
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
Cheers,
Don

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:58:28 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mwarnick1

« Reply #243 on: December 23, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
I really enjoyed the book.  I didn't learn anything that I hadn't seen elsewhere but am sure I'll spend even more time with the book.  The reasons I really enjoyed it are:

1) It's a pizza cookbook
2) I really enjoyed Tony's pizza place in SF
3) The book finally gave me the push I needed to try using a starter and malt powder

ETA:  I did learn something new.  I used to always keep a pizza stone for grilling and a stone for in the oven.  I never thought about putting them both in the oven at the same time and transfering the pizza between stones 1/2 way through cooking.  D'oh!  What an obvious idea that I never thought of
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:26:36 PM by mwarnick1 »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
I wuz fartin' around and got to thinking....scary for sure. When I was in a pool league, I thought I needed to brush up on my shooting skills. So I went to the library and found "The 99 Critical Shots In Pool." It is by far the best book on the subject. I wondered if the library might have the Pizza Bible. Low and behold they have 7 copies. I just picked one up a few minutes ago. Just scanning through, it looks pretty interesting. I know I won't make all the recipes, but it looks like I can gleam some useful info for sure.

So if anyone is on the fence about purchasing the book, see if your local library has a copy. You can judge for yourself, then determine if it would be a useful addition to your kitchen library. I'm going to try out a few recipes before I have to return it. I'm pretty sure I will get one for myself.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:33:02 PM by nick57 »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2015, 04:33:27 PM »
I wuz fartin' around and got to thinking....scary for sure. When I was in a pool league, I thought I needed to brush up on my shooting skills. So I went to the library and found "The 99 Critical Shots In Pool." It is by far the best book on the subject. I got to thinking that they may have the Pizza Bible. Low and behold they have 7 copies. I just picked one up a few minutes ago. Just scanning through, it looks pretty interesting. I know I won't make all the recipes, but it looks like I can gleam some useful info for sure.

So if anyone is on the fence about purchasing the book, see if your local library has a copy. You can judge for yourself, then determine if it would be a useful addition to your kitchen library. I'm going to try out a few recipes before I have to return it. I'm pretty sure I will get one for myself.

Which one was scary? - the gas emissions or the thinking????  :-D

I think that the concept of going to the library and the library actually having a book like this in stock are both very cool things!!!   What a terrific approach - good for you for thinking of it.  Shame on me, I don't think I would have thought of it as a possibility.   

Mitch

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
  Both!! I've thumbed through the book. He has some good ideas. I am going to try the poolish. I did not learn too much in the way of new info. Most of the stuff in his book I have learned from the great pizza makers on the forum. Not too sure about his Chicago thins or St. Louis style. His hydration levels seem a little high. Going to try his anyway, just for the learning and for the fun of trying something new.

This would be a great book for a newbie that does not want to spend the time on the forum trying to figure how to make a certain style of pie

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:30 PM »
Nick,  I was really surprised at the high hydration of the Chicago thin. I read it 3 times thinking I read it wrong, or it was a misprint.
I usually do around 47% and couldn't quite bring myself to do his 65% so I have done around 58 or 59%. I've done 7 pizzas this way and they were quite tasty. I did a few with par baking the crust which I suppose is taking out some of the extra moisture.
Bottom line, I like the high 50's which I didn't expect to be the case and plan on staying on that range for awhile and one day I'll try the full 65%.
Tom

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »
I like Garvey's formula. A 50% hydration. As some have noted, sometimes more H2O makes for a crisper crust. I know it is hard to get your and my head around that. So, after my next try of a NY style with DMP, I will do his Chi style thin crust and see what happens.

AP Flour (100%):
Water (50%):
IDY (.5%):
Salt (1%):
Oil (8%):
Sugar (1%):
Total (160.5%):
Single Ball:
373.83 g  |  13.19 oz | 0.82 lbs
186.92 g  |  6.59 oz | 0.41 lbs
1.87 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.67 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
29.91 g | 1.05 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.65 tsp | 2.22 tbsp
3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.94 tsp | 0.31 tbsp
600 g | 21.16 oz | 1.32 lbs | TF = .06875
300 g | 10.58 oz | 0.66 lbs | TF = .06875
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:31:43 PM by nick57 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2015, 09:48:43 PM »
Nick,

You can read the physics behind using a higher hydration value to achieve increased crispness at the bottom part of Tom Lehmann's PMQ Think Tank post at:

http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/2-dough-questions.6881/#post-45476

Peter

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
 Been reading the book for a few days. Pretty interesting. Some of it is a little confusing, but I can figure it out. The only glaring thing I saw was in measurement conversion chart.  It states that that 1 oz is 30 grams. It is actually 28.349 grams per oz. That should not make a big difference in smaller batches. But, if you scale it up, it could throw the hydration and other ingredients off by quite a bit. Other than that, it is a fun read. I do think what I have been taught on the forum, is better than what I have seen in most books.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
It is actually 28.349 grams per oz. That should not make a big difference in smaller batches. But, if you scale it up, it could throw the hydration and other ingredients off by quite a bit.

The error is the same whether the batch is one ball or 100.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
It's not much. But if you use his measurements of 30 grams = 1 oz, and 450 grams = 1 Lb, if you divide 450 by 30, it comes out 15 oz. That may be a problem in some recipes. If you divide 453.59237 by 28.34823 you get 16.000165 oz's. That's about 28 grams or one ounce.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:24:24 PM by nick57 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
I'm simply saying that conversion error is independent of scale. If you measure accurately, the error should have the same effect regardless of how much dough you make.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
Kool! I just thought it was odd the they missed that. Any self respecting hippie from the 60's knows that 1oz is 28 grams. Not saying I wuz a longhair, bu........ ;D

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
  It's a sad day. Gotta take the book back to the library. It's a great book for someone looking to make wonderful pies at home, and loves to work in the kitchen. But for the average Suzy homemaker, it may be a little too much. That being said, I would recommend it. I thought about scanning some of the recipes, but I think that is stealing. So I will rely on my memory.......what was I saying? :-D I will say this, I learned more from the forum than I learned from the book, of course I have spent  hundreds of hours learning the craft here. As far as I am concerned, this is the place to learn how to make the best pies. The guys and gals here are amazing 5 star chefs!!  I do give the book my thumbs up. I did notice, that the pages are starting to break away from the binding. I am the second person to check it out, and I know how to respect a book.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:34 PM »
This was a wonderful book, I read every page and enjoyed the entire read.  I think he did a great job explaining the styles, recepies and techniques.  Wording was clear and easy to understand, by far the best pizza book I have read.  What a blast!!! You can tell he loves pizza and the craft.  I highly recommend it as a fun and learning book with great examples from a guy who lives pizza.

pizzapan