Author Topic: La Romanella super heavy pizza sauce  (Read 3507 times)

Offline nypizza

• I Love Pizza!
La Romanella super heavy pizza sauce
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:10:56 PM »
Has anyone heard of 'La Romanella super heavy pizza sauce'?  I saw a can of it at a smart & final and was thinking about making a  pizza with it as a sauce base.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: La Romanella super heavy pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 02:09:55 AM »
La Romanella is comparable to Hunt's AngelaMia and Contadina (the foodservice variety, not standard grocery). If I remember correctly, the pizza sauce is only slightly seasoned (good for a sauce base) and not as thick as the concentrated crushed tomatoes. I have mostly used the concentrated crushed tomatoes, which has virtually no seasonings.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Slow Eddie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »
I use it, and like it as a base for my sauce. Just add spices and refridgerate. One day I'll step up to truly home made sauce, but until then the La Romanella product suits me fine.

Eddie

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:18:16 PM »
I too saw this at Smart and Final. Here is what I did to make sauce out of it:

1 large can of La Romanella pizza sauce base (approx. 12 cups)
Added 50% volume water (6 cups)
Added Penzey's "Pizza Seasoning" at a rate of 1 tsp. per cup.

The sauce was quite "zesty" and the Penzey's folks recommend more or less seasoning to taste.

Overall a good sauce that is easy to make. Everytime I use my own spices or fresh herbs, my pizza just doesn't taste like a commercial product. Another thing is, a lot of spices like Pepper and Oregano have many different "varieties" that add a distinct flavor. The Penzey's Pizza mix is a great product and I can't wait to try it in other tomato products as a base. Does anyone know of other "pizza seasoning" mixes? Certainly most commercial places have something like this as part of the sauce making process if they don't buy their sauce 100% canned. I am sure some are proprietary even.

Oh yea, I almost forgot.... Let it sit overnight in the fridge. It takes time for the spices to permeate the tomato.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »
DNA Dan

If are you looking for a recommendation for a "pizza seasoning" that automatically produces a commercial taste, I don't know of any.

I'm in the process of scaling down "core" commercial pizza sauce recipes from the encyclopizza site. I intend to post them soon,  hopefully it will give people more seasoning recipes to get them started on developing their own seasonings to fit their personal tastes.

Have you seen my list of recommended spices/ranges thing I posted for the AngelaMia product?

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 12:13:46 AM »

Have you seen my list of recommended spices/ranges thing I posted for the AngelaMia product?

No I haven't. I am still getting my bearings on where stuff is buried on this forum. Sauce is a tricky subject, because it isn't just the spices that make the sauce. It's the tomato base you use, in addition to the variety of the seasoning. This is quite difficult to elucidate when some spices have common names. For example, the encyclopizza shows "black pepper". Well there are a lot of different black pepper varieties world-wide. So simply adding black pepper made by "McCormick" isn't going to get you there. The common name gets you the right species, but there are still variations on the common name. I also disagree with that site's usage of basil being tied in first with oregano. EVERY Italian knows that basil is for pasta sauce as oregano is for pizza sauce! Although I don't want to offend the experts here...

I am quite happy with the Penzeys mix. I cannot recreate it because it uses some varieties that are not sold locally. "Tellicherry Peppercorns"? I didn't know such a thing existed until I really started researching it. If I just add the ingredients it lists on the package, it does not taste nearly the same. All my attempts to use any amounts of the encyclopizza recommedations does not yield anything remotely close to a commercial sauce.

Which makes me believe that commercial places have straight chemicals that they add to their sauces to impart their particular flavor. It may be that it starts as a "spice formulation" but it's processed and packaged for use in the restuarant (as someone noted on the round table pizza thread for instance). The local highschooler making minimum wage just needs to mix X cans of sauce with X cans of water and 1 packet of super secretive mix.  I mean this is the holy grail of pizza IMO. Dough and Cheese are much easier to elucidate. Besides, I want something that I can just drop in like a restuarant would do.

Have you tried the LaVilla roni? Your thoughts?

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:09:42 PM »
The original post is  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2527.msg22311.html#msg22311. I looked over it again, and it looks like I listed Max recommended amounts. My intent was to give some "generalized guidance" and not to give hard core rules.

When I design a recipe that includes herb and spices I typically give myself a range and list the brand used. This allows for changes that occurring during storeage (I buy in bulk). Powdered Chiles and chili powders (powdered chili blends) have shown to be the most sensitive to these changes and also seem to have the greatest variances between brands.

I am quite happy with the Penzeys mix. I cannot recreate it because it uses some varieties that are not sold locally. "Tellicherry Peppercorns"?

I'd be interested in the formula if you come up with one.

Tellicherry Peppercorns can be found at Cost Plus, World Market. I pay .99 for 1.25 oz. pkg. (For those that don't know; Tellicherry peppercorns (AKA gourmet pepper) are the fruit of the pepper plant that have been allowed to fully ripen before picking, that results in a more flavorful pepper. The corns are large and dark brown in color and are only produced in India.) I reserve mine for seasoning high quality steaks prior to cooking along with Fleur de sal.

EVERY Italian knows that basil is for pasta sauce as oregano is for pizza sauce! Although I don't want to offend the experts here...

Actually, there are members on this site that share your sentiment.

You may be interested in reading this brief but informative discussion regarding basil
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1273.msg26557.html#msg26557

And this one on oregano http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2609.msg22712.html#msg22712

Have you tried the LaVilla roni? Your thoughts?
No I haven't. I dont even recall seeing the brand before.Who carries it?

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 01:22:55 PM »
I believe this is the same Lydia that enjoys the same SF bay area weather that I do. I recommended the LaVilla roni to you on the SF bay area "resources" thread. You asked me how it tasted.... remember? LaVilla is an italian deli that sells hot and cold foods in Willow Glen. (San Jose). They are on Lincoln Ave, right on the strip.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 05:39:50 PM »
Yah :-D It's me.  :-[

I just got back from New Mexico and I'm mentally not back home yet.

I've probably passed by that place a million times. I'll try to find it this weekend.

Actually, I'm over the hills in the valley, so I enjoy bay area wether one weekend a month. I think it was 114F or so here just before we left on vacation.