Author Topic: Grimaldi's Pizzeria mozzarella  (Read 801 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Grimaldi's Pizzeria mozzarella
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:08:57 AM »
We recently went to NYC and ate at Grimaldi's, and I noticed quickly that the cheese was very dry even though it was very white unless normal low-moisture mozzarella. Is this due to them producing it themselves and removing more whey? Is there a different rennet perhaps? I'm baffled by this. It tasted great too.

Offline ilpizzaiolo

Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »
Of the coal burning oven pizzerias that use a fresh mozzarella, many tend to use a low moisture fresh mozzarella that during the shaping process squeezes out more of the moisture in the ball/loaf of cheese. There are many places that make fresh mozzarella that also make 5 lb loaves of fresh mozzarella that are usually sliced to be used in pizzerias. Two places I can think of are lioni latticini and aiello bros both in brooklyn. The lower moisture fresh mozzarella helps with the longer cooking times of coal burning oven pizzas and many of those style pizzerie also spoon the sauce over top of the mozzarella which helps to protect the cheese from drying out and contributes to a pizza less soggy than a true neapolitan pizza.

http://www.lionimozzarella.com/fresh_mozzarella.html

Ciao

Ron

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
Grazie Ron. Perhaps this is something I should look into doing myself. Seems like it's better for more American tastes.

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
Grimaldi's is my family's favorite so far. My 8 years old  doughter lists it in the first place because of their cheese. My homemade pizzas are second. She says that Grimadli cheese is better than yours. I was always wondering what kind of cheese they are using? I noticed that they put thin sliced round disks of cheese on. I will try to get Lioni Low moisture frash mazzarella and see how it gonna work
Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:23:57 PM by Sartanely »

pizzapan