Author Topic: I have heard from a master to not oil your pan - is this always safe?  (Read 758 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
I'm assuming when you use enough flour and have pans that are seasoned sticking does not become a problem. I will be making a sicilian (sfincione) pizza tomorrow and wanted more info before ruining a half sheet pan of pizza. Is there no problem when the bottom is properly floured? Please let me know if you have any advice as soon as possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: I have heard from a master to not oil your pan - is this always safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
I use shortening.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
Joe,

I would think it would depend on if you want a crispy bottom crust or not.  The type of pan used also might make a difference.

I played about with different Sfincione's and different Sicilian pizzas.  The Sfincione thread is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg86449.html#msg86449 if you are interested.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »
I don't think seasoning has anything to do with sticking. I know this view is very contrary to "common knowledge," but I stand by it, especially since I've come to understand that the main reason for seasoning pans is to make them dark so they will absorb heat instead of reflecting heat.

The only time I've ever had deep dish pizza stick to a pan was after I seasoned the pan very well AND put a liberal amount of oil in the pan. Before that, I usually didn't grease the pan at all because it stands to reason that the considerable amount of oil in deep dish dough probably does the job by itself. I know deep dish is not the same thing as Sicilian, but I'd assume very similar natural rules apply. Also, I don't like the results when I use too much flour on a peel, so I have to figure adding flour to a pan creates the same unwanted results.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »
Yea I've read somewhere that using shortening is somehow a trick of the trade. I was in NYC a week ago and they had the cheap Olive Oil in big containers for $5 so I think it gets expensive going through so many hands here. I actually started using California Olive Ranch brand olive oil because it was one of the few Olive Oils that was proven to be real olive oil. 69% of the EVOO is tainted or not olive oil at all these days int he US.

Back to the pizza pan. Yea I'm going to maybe test it myself. I'll put some on one side just very lightly and then not on the other side. We'll see. Maybe I'll decide the pizza would be too heavy for that. I've seen pizza stick to pans before and it's an awful thing. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Norma, that pizza looked really good and traditional. I made it once before and posted it on here. The mozzarella I used was just a few ounces of chunked Poly-O. I think I'm going to use some of the little fresh mozarella balls that I have draining so that they don't burn like they did last time. Also I found out that you really should go light on the breadcrumbs since they like to burn too and just look brown. It's a great pizza if you have great tomatoes like heirlooms. I'll show you how it comes out probalby on another thread.