Author Topic: is it as simple as changing flour?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline kcbbq83

• I Love Pizza!
is it as simple as changing flour?
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:08:14 AM »
I've been fumbling around my kitchen making breads and trying different recipes for pizza crusts for years. Found this site about a year ago and have had some success with the thin crust pie, the texture is great but I still get too much all purpose flour taste from it. After doing some reading it seems obvious that a flour with a higher gluten content should help.

I have looked for some of the non-AP flours with little to no success in the past. Will this stuff help at all
http://commerce24.pair.com/webstaff/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=00810&Category_Code=bakingaids

or do I just need to be more persistant and find the right flour.

I've had less success with thicker crusts but it seems like with enough homework here, neither one should be a problem.

Offline youonlylivetwice

Re: is it as simple as changing flour?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:06:28 PM »
Howdy KCBBQ,
Funny you would ask this... I was just about to shoot out a post to this respect (sort of a "live and learn" type thing  :)  )

the information on this forum is excellent, and as much as personal preference plays a huge role in what you are trying to accomplish, one undeniable truth is you have to find the 'right' ingredients to get where you are going...

My pizza, particularly NY style, has improved dramatically based on a few simple concepts, including proper hydration, three-day rise, and baking on as hot a stone as I can get.  I always used bread flour with a little VWG though, till this past weekend....

I found 'pizza flour' at a specialty Italian grocer, and Wow!  It was another HUGE step forward.  Better charring and texture, it was just FANTASTIC!

So yes, ingredients won't solve everything, but if you are like me and have an image of what you are trying to replicate (or create), you really need to try to find the right ingredients and at least give them a try. 

Best of luck!!