Author Topic: The next generation of The Blackstone Oven  (Read 3244 times)

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: The next generation of The Blackstone Oven
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »
I
No one commented on the certification requirement. You don't consider certification when you buy?

I am in total agreement here. I think that this oven, with the proper adjustments and upgrades, could be used in a commercial setting. I for one, would love this feature and have emailed them with the proposition of considering producing one with the proper saftey certifications such as their "commercial" griddles have.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »
Here's a question for y'all: what would it take to make BS a successful standard for mobile ovens?  I'm of the mind that it would require more zazz - flame shooting out the front, brick fašade - something.

We all know that the BS hasn't eclipsed Craig's gold-standard Neo in a WFO.  On the other hand, some forum members think competitive entries are in the ballpark - and this is a tougher crowd than typical weddings and parties.  The BS doesn't bake multiple pies simultaneously, but it does have a short recovery time with the torch full on.  So with one person making and another person baking (flame on full), one could almost pull a pie every 2 minutes or so.  Still I think the zazz of a WFO is missing.  What do you think?

Dave

(Disclaimer - I've never run a pizza stand and it's been a long time since I was a pie maker at Shakey's. Note that I refrained from using the term pizzaiolo which seemed way beyond my tasks under that cute chef's hat.)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
I
I am in total agreement here. I think that this oven, with the proper adjustments and upgrades, could be used in a commercial setting. I for one, would love this feature and have emailed them with the proposition of considering producing one with the proper saftey certifications such as their "commercial" griddles have.

Anthony

Willard's 2stone already has a commercial-ready oven. With all the certifications you need. And his ovens will last.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »
I have spoken to Willard about that oven and almost pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, at least for me, the price point is a bit on the high side. I hope to see a more reasonable price soon. If not, I'll hope Blackstone puts out a commercial quality oven at a competitive price.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »
With all the certifications you need.

Maybe, maybe not. My guess is that there is more than one place that won't allow it if it's not UL listed.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:01 AM »
Are you referring to the restaurant police? (Local health and biz lic types)

I didn't think they got into this.  How do bbq pits, hibachis, wfo's, etc get by? 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:18:13 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »
Are you referring to the restaurant police? (Local health and biz lic types)

I didn't think they got into this.  How do bbq pits, hibachis, wfo's, etc get by?

Or the fire marshal maybe? It's clearly not true of all jurisdictions, but I have my oven because it's not UL listed and the guy who imported it was not allowed to use it and had to get a different one that was.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
The oven itself is generally compliant by being constructed of non-corrosive materials, such as stainless steel. However, it is the other major components of the oven that need the safety certifications. This is at least true for gas type ovens and the area in which I live. I believe that Willard's 2Stone "commercial" oven is only NSF certified because of the presence of a StarMax stockpot range underneath which powers it (which is already certified for commercial use under a hood). Not necessarily because he sought the certifications. I'm not saying that he didn't, it's just likely that they were "grandfathered in" so to speak.

If Blackstone would follow this same route, making the oven body stainless steel, durable and outfitting it with a commercial range burner then I believe it could gain NSF and/or UL listing.

Anthony

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
If Blackstone would follow this same route, making the oven body stainless steel, durable and outfitting it with a commercial range burner then I believe it could gain NSF and/or UL listing.

I don't think NSF certification says anything about product safety? And, I suspect it would require a bit more than that for a UL product safety listing.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »
Correct, NSF is just a sanitation listing. UL has both safety and sanitation listings. The product would most likely have to show it can operate safely for it to gain the UL listing. Not just set it atop a burner and hope it doesn't cause a fire.

I do, however, believe it would require much less in the way of getting it certified because of the presence of the range, as long as the materials meet the criteria of the health dept. I could be totally wrong here. This is a product of my thoughts.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
Correct, NSF is just a sanitation listing. UL has both safety and sanitation listings. The product would most likely have to show it can operate safely for it to gain the UL listing. Not just set it atop a burner and hope it doesn't cause a fire.

I do, however, believe it would require much less in the way of getting it certified because of the presence of the range, as long as the materials meet the criteria of the health dept. I could be totally wrong here. This is a product of my thoughts.

I bet it would have to be safe to touch on the outside at any operating temperature.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
I bet it would have to be safe to touch on the outside at any operating temperature.

For sure.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
That would add significant coast.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »
Speaking on the additional costs. How much, in your estimation, would you think would add? I still think with everything it would come in much less than a 2Stone Commercial unit. However, it would most likely be made overseas to alleviate the added cost. I don't know what that would mean from a quality standpoint.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
As a former manufacturing engineer, I think there's a bunch of things that can be done to the 2Stone to make it both cheaper and better.  Willard had a brilliant idea.  But, with respect,  I think designing for manufactureability is where it could be improved and a lower price point could be met.  But then again, a lower price point may not be helpful to Willard.  Redesigning and producing higher quantities takes investment, sometimes more than is available.  So, low volume, high profit may be a better fit.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
As a former manufacturing engineer, I think there's a bunch of things that can be done to the 2Stone to make it both cheaper and better. 

Such as?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:56 AM »
its really not important. Blackstone demonstrated some good manufactureability in their redesign.  Their execution was poor.  Cost reduction has a lot to do with parts count. 

pizzapan