Author Topic: Pizza stone / Max temp 482 F  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Pizza stone / Max temp 482 F
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »
I understand that, but does a pizza stone require a higher max. temperature than what my oven is capable of? That's what I want to know.

My oven only goes to 500, and I would hate to not have a stone in it. Even at 450/460, which is the temperatures I bake deep dish and stuffed, respectively, I want a stone in there. The grill goes much hotter, but that's a totally different conversation.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 07:55:41 AM »
GarlicLover,

You might check the manual for your oven to see if it is possible to increase the temperature by about 25-35 degrees F. That is a common feature with ovens in the U.S., even old ones.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »
I was thinking about that as I posted last night. My mom's electric oven (aka "my oven") has a max temp of 500, but it has a calibration feature that can add 35 degrees. This oven is around five years old.

The oven's max temp of 500 is a big reason why I bake almost all of my NY style pizzas outside in a grill. I may be moving soon, into a place that has a gas oven with a max temp of 550 (and hopefully a calibration feature).

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »
How about 2,5 cm thickness, that's 0.98 inches? They're being sold on www.pizzastein.com.

Dimensions: 40 x 30 cm x 2,5 cm (inches: 15.74 x 11.8 x 0.98)
Material: "Chamotte" (other names: grog, firesand, clay)

Also found one with 3 cm thickness (1.18 inches): http://shop.strato.de/epages/61223432.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61223432/Products/090401

Thoughts? Which one is better? ;D

Any thoughts/advice on the above?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »
Sorry, dude, I know very little about stones. Wish I could help. I'm sure someone will give you some good information.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
Garlic:

The reason I was suggesting 1/2" steel is because at a low temperature, it is the best material you could use due to its high conductivity. For my oven, 450-475 makes a good 7-8 minute NY style pizza. This wouldn't be possible with an ordinary stone. At 550* using a cordierite stone, it will take 10 minutes. Since your oven maxes out at 482, I believe steel would be your best option.

Of course it all depends on what you want to bake. Deep dish, long bake time pizzas, you shouldn't get steel and a stone is fine.

Here is a pizza I made last year at 450* on steel: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23608.0

Here is a good discussion on steel and how Scott & Communist learned the benefits of this material for making pizza: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12887.0.html

Do a little homework and make one purchase, there is no one-size-fits-all material, especially at your oven temp.

Josh

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
Any thoughts/advice on the above?

That stone defiantly looks serviceable, It defiantly has mass, but I don't now the material so I can't really say if its a good stone or not. When I said thicker is usually better, I meant that thicker of the same material is usually better when comparing stones. You really can't compare the properties of two different types of materials on just thickness alone.

As JD said, I would highly recommend the 1/2" steel if you can find some in your area and get it cut to fit your oven. I would also get it cut in half so you handle the plates easier because they are going to be really heavy.

EDIT ::

PS -- If you do end up with the huge stone, remember to properly pre-heat it. It going to take AWHILE to heat that stone all the way up. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a good two hours.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:10:52 AM by Surffisher2A »

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
The material is Schamotte, a.k.a grog/clay/firesand/chamotte. I've done a search on it on google and also on this forum, and there seem to be very positive comments about it.

I think I'm going to order the 3 cm (1.18 inch) version. :D

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
What do you guys think about this: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0036NNN0M/?tag=pizzamaking-20

It is made from iron. The diameter is 35 cm (13.77 in.), but I don't know the thickness.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:28:53 PM by Steve »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
It is made from iron. The diameter is 35 cm (13.77 in.), but I don't know the thickness.

Not thick enough.

It says it weighs 4.2kg (boxed, so the plate weighs less than that). If it was a 4.2kg solid disk of cast iron, at 35cm diameter, it would be about 0.6cm thick, but it's not a solid disk, it has rims and handles, so it's a god bit less than 0.25" which is really the minimum thickness needed for steel, and cast iron has a lower heat capacity than steel.
Pizza is not bread.

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
Dammit! I was ready to order the 3 cm stone, but it weighs 6,8 kg. My oven rack can handle a maximum of 7.0 kg. So if I use the stone to cook a pizza that weighs 300 gr, then I'm already above the 7.0 kg limit... and at risk of having the rack break.

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
Ah screw it. I just ordered the 3 cm schamotte pizza stone. I'm pretty sure my oven rack will handle it. If the rack breaks, I'll just buy a new one - no big deal. :D

Thank you all for your input.

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
So I got my stone, and all I've got to say is BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

It's a 3 cm thick schamotte pizza stone, which sounds very good. Well the first thing I noticed is that it's pretty small in size, but I said no problem, I'll just make smaller pizzas. So I put it on the middle oven rack, and preheated it for about 90 minutes. Then I baked the pizza on it. The result: Very minimal, if anything at all!

The ONLY thing I noticed was that the pizza was cooked about 3 to 4 minutes earlier than without a stone. I noticed absolutely no difference in the bottom browning, or in the crust. I'm pretty sure that this type of stone serves virtually no purpose for an oven like mine which maxes out on 250 degrees celsius. I might be wrong... or maybe I need to preheat it for 3 hours? If that's the case, then I really don't need it. I'm very satisfied with the pizzas I'm making right now on a simple pizza screen: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28466.0.html

Someday I might try a different material of stone, or perhaps the 1/2 inch steel plate as someone suggested. Until then, I'll keep making them without the stone.

Either way I thank all of you for your helpful contributions and advice. :)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »
You probably won't ever see much of a difference unless you lose the pan/screen and bake the pizza directly on the stone. When you do that, you should see a big difference. (You'll want a wooden peel for this.)

Or you could start the pizza on the pan, then pull the pan from under the pizza after the pizza has been baking for a few minutes (or several minutes).

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 07:05:19 AM »
If you reduced your cooktime by that much the stone was doing its job. Maybe you just need to tweak your recipe and how much toppings your putting on the pizza. Post some pics of your pizza as well.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 08:52:23 AM »
So I got my stone, and all I've got to say is BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

Are you putting the pizza on a screen and then placing the screen on the stone?

Do you have a broiler in your main oven compartment?

I bet it takes 2 hours+ to fully heat that stone in your oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »

+1

3cm is a very thick stone. If you want to be sure you're getting the most out of it, a very long preheat is necessary, and don't use with screens.

My first "stone" was firebrick splits which is about 3cm thick. Even at 550* and 2-3 hours preheat, my fastest bake time was about 10 minutes.

You should notice at the very least, a little less crunch and more oven spring using a stone over screen.
Josh

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »

Directly on the stone using a peel. But the stone is really small, as is the peel. It is frustrating to work with. The dough I make is for 14 inch pizzas, but the stone only has space for a 12.5 inch pizza.

Yes, but I've never used it though.

In the "manual" I received, it says 1 hour is enough, which does sound bogus. I heat it for more than an hour... I think it was 80 or 90 minutes.

In any case, I'd love to experiment with the stone but it is really too small so I don't have any motivation to do so. I'll stick to pans/screens for now until I get a bigger stone, or perhaps even better - the 1/2 inch steel plate thing. :D

pizzapan