Author Topic: Motorino Turning Peel  (Read 1273 times)

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
Motorino Turning Peel
« on: October 31, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
I love Motorino in the East Village, definitely my favorite pizza place. Last time I was there i noticed their turning peel looked much more rugged than other one's I've seen being sold and was wondering if people thought it was a custom job or if someone recognizes it from a vendor...I have yet to been able to find a source even after email back and forth with an employee at Motorino.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Motorino Turning Peel
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »
One of my favorite places as well.

That peel doesn't look any more rugged that the small peels from GIMetal: http://www.gimetalusa.com/shop/index.php?fam=1&sfa=Small%20Peels

I have two and they are plenty rugged. I use them to lift fairly heavy logs in the oven in addition to turning pies.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure the peel in the picture is a Zio Pepe. http://www.ziopepe.net/Store/Catalogue/linea-oro/pale-per-pizza-gold/8/pala-stella-forata

If so, it is more rugged than the GI - and 3X the cost.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
Good to know, appreciate the feedback. Have you established a preference to slotted or whole with turning peels? My oven is coming mid-November so I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row. I've been making pizza at home on a stone for awhile now, but after going to Naples in 2010 I have felt like there has been a whole missing from my life...and now I plan on filling it with real neopolitan style pies.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
Check with Artisan Pizza Solutions if you want the Zio Pepe - I bet they can get one for you.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
Good to know, appreciate the feedback. Have you established a preference to slotted or whole with turning peels?

I have both and am indifferent.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure the peel in the picture is a Zio Pepe. http://www.ziopepe.net/Store/Catalogue/linea-oro/pale-per-pizza-gold/8/pala-stella-forata

If so, it is more rugged than the GI - and 3X the cost.

That looks right, and at 3x the price might be hard to justify given the amount I just spent on this oven haha. Thanks for finding that for me though, I'm impressed because i've probably search high and low across the internet for a couple months now!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 06:21:37 PM »
That looks right, and at 3x the price might be hard to justify given the amount I just spent on this oven haha. Thanks for finding that for me though, I'm impressed because i've probably search high and low across the internet for a couple months now!

What sort of oven did you get?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »
What sort of oven did you get?

Ended up getting an Adiamo 70 from forno bravo. Not an Acunto, but hopefully one day. I live at home with my parents because I'm working locally and next year I will be in medical school so it doesn't make sense to get an oven I cant take with me. I'm pretty excited! I can't begin to think about how many hours I've spent reading and researching them, looking forward to actually getting on the horse.

Additionally, thanks for all of your workflows, recipes, etc. I know its going to be helpful down the line - I've already started doing some sides by sides with your Calabrian Chili oil and I am also trying to rig up a temperature controller to a mini-fridge in hopes of creating a proofing chamber that can sustain a 65F temp for extended periods of time!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
Ended up getting an Adiamo 70 from forno bravo. Not an Acunto, but hopefully one day. I live at home with my parents because I'm working locally and next year I will be in medical school so it doesn't make sense to get an oven I cant take with me. I'm pretty excited! I can't begin to think about how many hours I've spent reading and researching them, looking forward to actually getting on the horse.

Additionally, thanks for all of your workflows, recipes, etc. I know its going to be helpful down the line - I've already started doing some sides by sides with your Calabrian Chili oil and I am also trying to rig up a temperature controller to a mini-fridge in hopes of creating a proofing chamber that can sustain a 65F temp for extended periods of time!

Very cool. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Also, if you decide you want one of the GI peels, member JConk007 can help you get it at a good price.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline crkoller

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »
Very cool. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Also, if you decide you want one of the GI peels, member JConk007 can help you get it at a good price.

Just sent him an email, thanks for pointing me to him! appreciate it

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:13:04 AM »
Hello CR,

You should come down to ILM sometime to have pizza with me and mmmph. Where are you planning on going to med school? And what do you want to study? I am an anesthesiologist/pain doc down here in Wilmington. Glad to help if your want!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline crkoller

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »
Hello CR,

You should come down to ILM sometime to have pizza with me and mmmph. Where are you planning on going to med school? And what do you want to study? I am an anesthesiologist/pain doc down here in Wilmington. Glad to help if your want!

John K

John,

I would absolutely love that. I am working in Cardiothoracic surgical research now and the OR has cast her spell on me, I absolutely love in there. I am always looking for help with this pizza making, I think learning my oven will be a challenge but the biggest issue I've run into in the past is working with 00 flour. Look forward to possibly getting together!

Chris 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »
Sounds good! I'll give you a heads up when the momentum builds up for the next pizza gathering!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline crkoller

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Awesome, I can't wait. I'll bring the beer!

pizzapan