Author Topic: Effects of bake temps and bake times  (Read 686 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Effects of bake temps and bake times
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
I'm trying to figure out a few things here.

1.  Which has the bigger effect on crust crispness?   Oven temperature or length of bake?
2.  How does temp and bake time change the outcome for a dough that is made up of 20% fat.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:10:53 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Effects of bake temps and bake times
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
Pythonic, is this a trick question? ???  It seems to me that oven temp and bake time are interdependent. If I increase my oven temp my bake time decreases. Also, the longer I bake my pie the firmer the crust gets.
I have never made a 20% fat dough that I know of, so can't comment there.

Mark
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:30:51 AM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
I would say temp and style of bake as in "par-baking".

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pythonic

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:04:09 AM »
Pythonic, is this a trick question? ???  It seems to me that oven temp and bake time are interdependent. If I increase my oven temp my bake time decreases. Also, the longer I bake my pie the firmer the crust gets.
I have never made a 20% fat dough that I know of, so can't comment there.

Mark

No it's not a trick question.  We all know that baking a NY style pizza at max temps returns a different product than 100 degrees cooler and a longer bake.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »

No it's not a trick question.  We all know that baking a NY style pizza at max temps returns a different product than 100 degrees cooler and a longer bake.

I agree. I guess I don't understand the original question. You ask which influences crust crispness more, temp or bake time? They work together.
Mark

Offline pythonic

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
I agree. I guess I don't understand the original question. You ask which influences crust crispness more, temp or bake time? They work together.
Mark

Yes I know they work together somewhat but I guess what I am asking is are there different traits in high temp short bakes vs low temp longer bakes with a dough with a high fat content.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
Here is the pizza that I am trying to recreate.  The legendary Home Run Inn pizza.  I want the end crust to be stiffer (a dense stiffness) and am experimenting with temps and times.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
Yes I know they work together somewhat but I guess what I am asking is are there different traits in high temp short bakes vs low temp longer bakes with a dough with a high fat content.

I read your original post as 2 separate questions. Sorry

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »
Nate, I saw your similar post (with pictures) in the Dough Doctor section, so I have a decent idea of your objective here. Unfortunately I don't know anything about this style of pizza. So I'll share some ideas that you probably already grasp very well, in hopes that something I say may make something click in your mind.

When I change oven temperature for different styles of pizza, the temperature usually has something to do with the mass or the volume of the pizza. The thicker the pizza, the lower the temperature and the longer the bake time. This is why I like to keep the temperature around 450 for pizzas like deep dish and stuffed.

As you know (because your own input is the entire reason why I do this), I bake my stuffed pizzas at 460. (You or your links have revealed that Giordano's bakes at 465.) At first I was hesitant to bake these pizzas at a higher temp than 450 because stuffed pizzas have so much more mass than any other pizza, mostly due to the excessive cheese and top crust. Baking at 460 has worked, but you may remember that I accidentally baked one my stuffed pizzas at 500 for 12 or 13 minutes before realizing I had set the temperature too high. Although I responded by turning down the temperature while the pizza was baking, then trying to let some heat out of the oven, that pizza ended up too done on the outside, with cheese (on the inside) that didn't melt as much as I'd like.

With the style of pizza in your pics, I would think you should have considerable wiggle room with oven temperature. Higher temperature might make the bottom of the crust crispier, but lower temp + longer bake time might make the crust more crispy (or crunchy) all the way through.

Your second question is a good question. I think it will be hard to find an answer to that one without just experimenting.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
By the way, that looks really good. (I don't even know what it's supposed to look like. I'm just saying that looks really good.)

pizzapan