Author Topic: Baking multiple pizza in home oven  (Read 1244 times)

Offline ModMark

• I Love Pizza!
Baking multiple pizza in home oven
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »

My apologies if this is a standard newbie question..

For certain events in my house, I would like to bake 2 or even 3 pizza at once in a non-convection oven.  I just making American style pizza, 550 oven temp, no Neapolitan style.

For 2 pizza, the plan is to buy 3 Cordierite stones (after cutting, 16x20) and put all three stones in the oven. I can make a custom rack to fit inside the oven, I can control the spacing between the stones.

My thoughts, the top stone will radiate heat down on the pizza. I can use 1" stone on the bottom and 3/4" on the top to help even out the heat issue.

Any thoughts before I buy the stones?

Of course I am trying to convince my wife we really need a convection oven but she has no clue what a convection oven is.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Baking multiple pizza in home oven
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
My only thought is that's a lot of stone. You'd have to do a 2hr preheat at a minimum probably.

Since you're doing American style, I don't think you really need 1" or even 3/4" cordierite. 1/2" would be perfectly acceptable from top to bottom. Although I understand why you want to put a thicker stone on top, it won't really even anything out once the oven is at equilibrium.

If you plan to make consecutive back to back pizza's, then a 3/4" would start to make sense. Otherwise it's a waste of energy.

Josh

Offline ModMark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
My only thought is that's a lot of stone. You'd have to do a 2hr preheat at a minimum probably.

I fully understand about the long preheat time. This is a special event set up such as my annual Super bowl party or when the relatives/neighbors  come over. For the Super Bowl, I really want to watch the game on the big plasma and not be stuck in the kitchen. So the pre-heat time is somewhat irrelevant.

For the Friday night pizza night, one stone will do.

Buying Cordierite Shelf from Axner.com, the price difference between 1" and 3/4" is $6.

Good news, I may have an angle on getting that convection oven! And thanks for your reply.

Offline texmex

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »
I have been making multiple pizzas one at a time at 550, but it is true there is too much time between pies (7 minute bake), and missing the game sucks.  I don't understand the 2 hour preheat- my oven and cordierite stone reach 550 on the IR gun within about 20 to 30 minutes, I always hit broil after adding each pie, just to keep the flame going (my broiler is below the main oven) and it is not convection but it is a small wall unit oven and can't hold more than one pie.  I use one stone.  It takes about 5 or 6 minutes to get back up to max temp.  Move your TV to the kitchen!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:20:17 PM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Two ovens are nice for multiple pies. Even 13-14" pies. I cook each pie in my pizza oven, transfer to the kitchen oven and after the 3rd is baked I can serve 3 hot pies.
I wonder about stacking 3stones in your home oven, will the heat be uniform on both pies, or perhaps with 3stones you are wanting to cook 3pies at the same time. Big heat sink, those 3pies.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline ModMark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
Two ovens are nice for multiple pies.

I agree, I had an old 40" double oven and second oven in the house. Both died so now just one oven in the house. I loved the old 1950's double oven until it started to shock me with an electrical short.

With 3 stones, I would bake 2 pies. The concept being that both pies are between the stones for consistent heat. However baking a third pie on top could work. I am a DIY'er and can make a rack pretty easy. I already have the materials in the garage, with a custom rack I can adjust the space between the stones.

I may try 20" x 20" x 3/4" cordierite cut to 20x18" or for the same price I could go for 18" square x 1". However I have not gotten the shipping prices yet :-)

Thanks for the reply..

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
I don't understand the 2 hour preheat

it is a small wall unit oven and can't hold more than one pie.  I use one stone.

A small oven where the stone is (basically) next to the burner below will be much different than a standard sized oven with 3 - 1" kiln shelves. The lowest stone may be up to temp in 30 minutes, but I'll bet the next two take a much longer time to come to temp.

Sounds like Mark doesn't mind the preheat anyway, so it doesn't matter... but I wanted to explain my reasoning.

ps Tex: Saw your Moby bread pics, very nice!
Josh

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:50:09 AM »
I have been making multiple pizzas one at a time at 550, but it is true there is too much time between pies (7 minute bake), and missing the game sucks.  I don't understand the 2 hour preheat- my oven and cordierite stone reach 550 on the IR gun within about 20 to 30 minutes, I always hit broil after adding each pie, just to keep the flame going (my broiler is below the main oven) and it is not convection but it is a small wall unit oven and can't hold more than one pie.  I use one stone.  It takes about 5 or 6 minutes to get back up to max temp.  Move your TV to the kitchen!

Surface temp of the stone doesn't tell the whole story about whether its fully pre-heated or not. The cold pizza will suck that surface heat up very quickly. 

pizzapan