Author Topic: Organic Flour Pizza  (Read 784 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Organic Flour Pizza
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:14:05 AM »
I usually don't experiment with Organic flours for pizzas since there are not many available near where I live.   

I saw Daisy flour in a supermarket near me one time but they don't carry it anymore.  I looked on the Daisy website to see if they had any recipes for pizza doughs using Daisy Bread Flour.  This was all I saw. http://daisyflour.com/daisy-blog/all-american-daisy-pizza-pie-blog.html  I liked Daisy Flour on facebook about 3 months ago.  I then asked them if they had any other recipes for pizza doughs.  They told me they did not have a lot.  I said I would like to try their flour since I like to experiment with pizzas.  Daisy flour asked me where I live and I told them I did not live far from where they are located.  I also told Daisy flour I have a pizza stand at market.  They said they would bring me a sample to try.  That was awhile ago.  I was pleasantly surprised this past Tuesday when a lady from Daisy flour brought me two bags or Daisy flours to play around with along with a nice little canvas black tote bag.  She told me Dave said if I liked the flours I could get a bigger sample if I would come to their Mill. 

Since the Daisy Bread flour is milled differently and isn't bleached, bromated or enriched I was anxious to try it.  I was not sure what formulation to try.

A dough was mixed with the Daisy Bread Flour on Friday.  The dough felt nice.  The last photos are what the dough ball looked like yesterday and this morning.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Organic Flour Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »
Norma

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »
Norma,

Are you making those today?  I sure would like to see photos of your pizza.   ;D

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
Norma,

Are you making those today?  I sure would like to see photos of your pizza.   ;D

Mary Ann

Mary Ann,

Yes, I am making one pizza today.  I will post some photos whether good or bad.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
The attempt at a pizza made with the Daisy Organic Bread Flour produced a different style of pizza than I have ever made.  At least in my opinion.  I would not know what style to call the pizza though.  The rim crust was crunchy and the inside of the rim crust was moist.  When I took the pizza out of the Blackstone unit it was crunchy and crisp across the entire bottom crust.   

I must have miscalculated how much IDY to use for a two day ferment because a big bubble appeared on the top of the dough ball while it was warming up.  The bubble was pinched shut to deflate the bubble. 

The pizza was loaded into the Blackstone unit at 729 degrees F.  The photo that shows the temperature of 715 degrees F on the IR gun was before I started to open the dough ball.  The bake time was fast at 2 minutes 45 seconds. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
Norma
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:26:34 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
Norma

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »
Crumb looks great, Norma.  How did it taste?  What brand of mozzarella did you use?
Mary Ann

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »
Crumb looks great, Norma.  How did it taste?  What brand of mozzarella did you use?

Mary Ann,

Thanks!  The crust tasted great.  It reminded me of De Lorenzo's crust which I am trying to replicate with not too good of results.  The cheese used was the regular mild cheddar that I use at market.

Norma