Author Topic: Opening a 50F dough ball.  (Read 520 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Opening a 50F dough ball.
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
In a previous thread, the dough Doctor, wrote this,

"SP;Your number are pretty close to what we have found in our research here at AIB. We have found that the "magic" number/temperature is 50F. If you try opening the dough ball much below this the dough can be a bit problematic to get opened, and then it can give you fits with bubbles. At 50F the dough opens well and bubbles are minimized. The upper end of the temperature scale is around 60F. At this temperature the dough opens very well but depending upon the dough formulation, if you have a number of dough balls to open things can start to get out of control pretty quickly.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor"

Yesterday,after 61 hrs of 40F retarded fermentation, I decided to try a controlled 50F 4hr ferment and rise. I did this by putting my dough ball, in it's container, into a cooler. I used a Maverick remote thermometer to monitor cooler temps. I added small frozen ice pkgs as needed to maintain the 50 F.

After  four hrs I opened my dough ball as usual. 1st obvious finding was that the dough was cool. I had measured the dough ball temp with a (green) Thermapen. It was 50 F.
The dough ball opened nicely without issue. I did not experience any problems .
From this limited experiment I am encouraged to continue this method.
Previously I had taken the dough ball out of the fridge and let it rest on the kitchen counter for a couple hrs. Never measuring the temp. If nothing else this type of controlled temp I believe should add consistency .

Mark

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:29:23 AM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Opening a 50F dough ball.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
Mark,

Your dough had a hydration of 62% and you used 1.5% olive oil. If you ever find yourself with a dough with a hydration of around 56%, with or without a couple percent of oil, you might see how well the 50 degrees F test works out.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »
Mark,

Your dough had a hydration of 62% and you used 1.5% olive oil. If you ever find yourself with a dough with a hydration of around 56%, with or without a couple percent of oil, you might see how well the 50 degrees F test works out.

Peter

Peter, have you experience with that formula? I generally keep my hydration % in the low 60s. I do realize the "effective" hydration would have been closer to 63.5%.

Mark

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
Peter, have you experience with that formula? I generally keep my hydration % in the low 60s. I do realize the "effective" hydration would have been closer to 63.5%.
Mark,

Yes, I have made quite a few dough balls with fairly low hydration. Once you in the roughly 55% hydration range and a couple percent or so of oil, the dough doesn't open up as easily as higher hydration doughs. Letting the dough warm up beyond 50% makes it much easier to open up the dough balls.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »
Mark,

Yes, I have made quite a few dough balls with fairly low hydration. Once you in the roughly 55% hydration range and a couple percent or so of oil, the dough doesn't open up as easily as higher hydration doughs. Letting the dough warm up beyond 50% makes it much easier to open up the dough balls.

Peter

Ah, I guess the Dough Doctors info must have been hydration specific. Interesting!
I will try again, perhaps with a bit higher hydration.
Thank you for your input.

Mark