Author Topic: Sausage recipe  (Read 3322 times)

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Sausage recipe
« on: March 09, 2006, 12:03:31 PM »
Here is my current sausage recipe for NY style sausage pizza.

3/4 lb ground pork (my butcher use the shoulder)
2 t      fresh ground fennel seed
22 g   garlic (chopped fine)
18 g   Italian parsley (home grown) chopped fine
1/2 t   Kosher salt
3/4 t   Red pepper flakes
1/4 t   Black pepper
1/8 t   cayenne pepper
2    T   White wine (dry)

I mix in stand mixer with paddle attachment.  Cover, refrigerate 2 hours.  Mix again in mixer.
Place in fridge at least 2 hours or overnight.
Brown in skillet.  Remove excess fat. 

Create the perfect pizza.

TM

Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sausage recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
Here's another recipe - tastes very similar to pizzaria sausage. I ground my own meat using a Kitchen Aid meat grinder attachment for my mixer. Home grinding really made a difference from previous attempts using store bought ground pork.
- Italian Sausage~

2 lbs. lean pork butt cubed;
1/4 pound pork fat, cubed;
1 tablespoons salt;
1 1/2 tspn coarse black pepper;
1 1/2 tspn fennel seed ( ground)
1/4 tspn crushed red pepper
1/4 tspn garlic pwd
1/2 tspn anise seed (ground)
Grind the fat and meat together with the coarse disk and mix the other ingredients in.
Pre cook and crumble up for pizza use. I use a coffee/spice grinder to grind the fennel and anise seed.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »
Thanks for the recipe,  I should have asked people to post their own recipes for Italian sausage.  That was my intention in posting my recipe (and to share of course).

By pork butt, I guess you mean boston butt which is actually the shoulder.  Maybe you mean what is known as green or uncured ham, i.e. the pig's butt.

My recipe is trying to duplicate the sausage pizza from Atlanta's "Johnny's New York Style Pizza", which I am sure is not the same as the New York Johnny's.  We used to live off of the Atlanta stuff, until they closed our local franchise.  My crust is better, but man that pizza is good.

That added fat makes me think that you make stuffed sausages.  If this is true,  can you give me your opinion about the sausage grinder and stuffer from kitchenAid?  And what kind of other sausage do you make?

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:30:09 PM »
Not to get into an arguement, but nobody I know in Chicago uses garlic, as that is what is in Polish sausage. But, whatever floats your boat is acceptable.

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:14:13 AM »

I'm not sure about the pork butt - it was in the original recipe that I started experimenting with and the meat market butcher knew what to get. I do have the sausage stuffing tube attachment for the Kitchenaid but have not used it - only the meat grinding attachment to make bulk sausage. I would say it's good for small quantities of ground meat - a few lbs or so. It's kind of slow and takes time to get the meat cubes through it but did a good job. If you are into large quantities 5,10 lbs or larger it would not be good IMO - and would require a larger commercial type grinder. I'm going to continue to experiment with sausage making trying different flavorings.

The amount of garlic is pretty small and I think just a subtle background flavor. A lot of the Fontinini (of Chicago) sausage pizza toppings have garlic listed in them.

http://www.fontanini.com/pizza.html

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »
You're probably right...interesting. I learn something each time I'm on the site.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »
Here in Connecticut I remember my family using pork butt. Don't know what part of the animal it's from but(t) that's what you asked for.  Also no garlic. Pork, salt, fennel, and hot pepper if you wanted. Recipe was "Well that looks about right". Fry a small portion for tasting, adjust and stuff.

I believe we have really removed the flavor from pork when we leaned it down to "the other white meat" stage.

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 03:30:43 PM »
Pork butt is not butt, but it's shoulder, no ifs ands or but(t)s about it!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 09:10:24 PM »
Funny!

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:00:17 PM »
Pork butt is not butt, but it's shoulder, no ifs ands or but(t)s about it!

It's true, what is referred to ask Pork Butt actually comes from the front shoulder. The piece of meat that comes from the back part of the animal (which common sense makes you think would be called a butt) is actually what is used to make ham.

Steve

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 08:57:36 AM »
It's true, what is referred to ask Pork Butt actually comes from the front shoulder. The piece of meat that comes from the back part of the animal (which common sense makes you think would be called a butt) is actually what is used to make ham.

It's called a "butt" because "Boston Firkin" doesn't sound right.

"In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those of high value, like the loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels for storage and shipment. These barrels were known as "butts." In the Boston area, the cut from the hog's shoulder became known in other regions as the Boston Butt. The name stuck, and today it is still referred to as the Boston Butt almost everywhere in the U.S., except in Boston!"

At least, that's the National Pork Board's story.

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 03:59:59 PM »
I now know more about Boston Butts than I ever wanted to know!

pizzapan