Author Topic: Pizzacraft portable outdoor oven Pizzeria Pronto- Sur La Table  (Read 4730 times)

Offline barryvabeach

Pizzacraft portable outdoor oven Pizzeria Pronto- Sur La Table
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »
I am a devoted owner of a Blackstone Oven and will not stray, but just saw that Sur La Table carries a portable propane gas pizza oven - it has a 14 inch stone.  There is only one control, so I assume it heats the stone, and the excess heat goes to the lid to give it browning.  It has some good reviews on the Sur La Table site, though you would need to turn it, otherwise I would think that the part nearest the front would be less browned than the part at the back.  http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1247444/Pizzeria+Pronto+Outdoor+Pizza+Oven   Nice price point at $299 and might be an option for folks that don't have room for the BS.  The website says there is a video, but looks like it was removed, so not sure how well it will cook pies.

I went to youtube and found some videos 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP0HytbiFA&amp;noredirect=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kP0HytbiFA&amp;noredirect=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhPA3Wi_ms&amp;noredirect=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhPA3Wi_ms&amp;noredirect=1</a>

They say in the first video it makes a pie in 5 minutes, and it runs on the small propane cans, so it is not really a BS challenger, but it looks like it might fill a need for some people.

Assembly video showing the two stones at the bottom, and what appears to be a metal heat reflector above the stones
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKBaZD0tnI&amp;noredirect=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKBaZD0tnI&amp;noredirect=1</a>
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:16:10 PM by barryvabeach »

Offline shuboyje

Re: Pizzacraft portable outdoor oven Pizzeria Pronto- Sur La Table
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »
I've seen this oven in person.  The most interesting feature is the stone.  It is a two piece stone that has an air gap in the center.  The air gap is over an inch, and should help eliminate the common balance issue with bottom heat only ovens.  I just don't see where the top heat is going to come from.  There is a gap all around the stone for the heat to come through.  The ceiling is then perforated metal and above that is the center vent. 
-Jeff

Offline elvindeath

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »
Got this for a gift last month and have used it three times so far.  Very, very good product.  Recommend without hesitation to anyone who wants a low cost option that is substantially superior to every pizza I've made in my oven using every imaginable technique. 

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
I purchased one of these and ended up returning it, maybe it was just a bad unit but mine only got up to around 650 degrees. Thats only a bit better than my home oven.

After returning it I purchased an UUNI - that one gets hot but it makes too much black soot and is very hard to run - plus it needs an additional steel plate or stone to avoid underdone bottoms. Wishing I had just got a Blackstone even though I really don't have room for it.

The good thing about these is the Sur La Table return policy - if you find out you don't like it they will take it right back, wish I could say the same for my UUNI.

PS. I have an UUNI for sale, pretty cheap  ;D

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »
Wishing I had just got a Blackstone even though I really don't have room for it.

In case it's of any interest, you can leave the "wings" off the Blackstone to minimize the footprint.  I've done that with mine so it can more easily be stored. 

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 06:49:48 AM »
Thanks Dylandylan, leaving the wings off will make a difference. I'm pretty sure I have myself talked into a Blackstone - just waiting for the Black Friday sale.

BTW, I forgot to mention above, I think the Pizzeria Pronto would be great for tailgating or camping (but I don't do either) -- if mine would have gotten a little hotter, I might have kept it.

Offline Entropy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »
I purchased one of these and ended up returning it, maybe it was just a bad unit but mine only got up to around 650 degrees. Thats only a bit better than my home oven.

That's not even better than our home oven divided with a foil covered rack in the middle position (turns out the lower it is the better, we'd been using it in the uppermost position for years before I accidentally put the rack in just above the sides of the HearthKit, and it also turns out the sides aren't necessary with the rack in that position.) 

I wonder if you could bore out the holes to allow more gas to burn, though you should probably run it outside if you do that until you determine the burn isn't producing CO.  Or just have a drafty house on the ocean.

Offline smtdev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »
I have had the pronto for about 4 months and overall it's a good oven - certainly much better than what I could achieve in my home oven. Still, it wasn't getting hot enough for a two minute pie, especially when temps started dipping.

I've since bought a Blackstone and have been using the Pronto when cooking elsewhere. I added a sheet of aluminum foil over the baffle plate in the dome and that helped the top temps a lot more. The heat has nowhere else to go than the front opening, so it can singe the hairs if you get too close. I did a pizza party for family kicking out 20 pies and the oven performed well.

With the BS now as my home oven (until the WFO gets built), I was looking at additional mods to push a little more heat out of the Pronto. I swapped out the regulator with a 20 psi adjustable regulator and by pushing more gas to the burner, I was able to get the temp gauge maxed in no time.

Unfortunately, with half a dozen guests eager for pizza, the BS motor died and I had to put the Pronto into service before dialing in what the best settings are. This would become an epic fail as I struggled to get the right gas to heat settings. The temps were where I wanted, but the first pies were burnt on the bottom while the dome heat was still falling short. I found I had to dome each pizza to prevent burned crusts. Of course I was also struggling with a wetter dough - not sure why because my dough recipe is established and consistent. Not that night! I was having a tough time with sliding off the peel and the dough tearing.

By the time I got to the last pie (and last shred of patience), I had cranked the gas pressure down to what is probably closer to stock. While the last pizzas were far better than the first, it's not a fun learning curve when you have hungry guests. I may take out the foil from the dome and see if that changes anything. It could be that the design itself will guarantee that the burner will concentrate most of the heat on the bottom stone. Maybe a baffle plate between burner and stone could push more heat around out to the sides to boost dome heat while reducing direct heat on the stone.

As I said, it is a good oven and considering I can throw it in the car and crank out reasonably good pies, I am happy with it. Maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Nah!

Offline Davydd

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
I was at a Williams Sonoma today and saw they now have the Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto Outdoor Pizza Oven in the store. It looks like a nice oven. It wasn't there at Christmas time.

I see they are coming out with a stand for this unit but not until July.  http://www.pizzacraft.com/pizzeria-pronto-leg-kit.html
Davydd

Offline xty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »
The oven does not get over 550-600F.  When I called them, they sent a new "recalibrated" thermometer that read 900F when I heated up the oven.  I had 2 other thermometers at the same time and they were reading 350 degrees LOWER than the "new" thermometer.  The oven does NOT get at hot as they say.  It also does not work well with "00" flour (would not brown/spot).   

I returned this oven and have since bought a Forno Bravo Primavera70 wood-fired oven.  It works great.  Despite the higher purchase cost, my power bill (house oven is electric) has gone way down.  I use the wood oven for most everything now.

Offline xty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
Here is the video I made showing thermometer discrepancies.  The thermometer on the top is the "recalibrated" one they sent me when I called regarding the oven not heating as advertised.  The PP one on the bottom is what came with the oven.  The other is one that I know is calibrated correctly.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlSdXaNunk&amp;amp;sns=em" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlSdXaNunk&amp;amp;sns=em</a>

Offline Davydd

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »
xty, So basically your original Pronto thermostat was caliberated close to accurate?

Does placement location make a difference? One is in the hood and the other two are at the mouth of the opening.
Davydd

Offline xty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
Yep!! The original one worked fine and was within 25F degrees of other ones that I tried.  I tried all 3 in the different positions.  The one they sent (claiming the oven goes to 900) said 900 no matter where I put it!

Offline xty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
I showed the video and thermometers to the manager at Sur La Table and they ended up giving me a refund and a gift certificate for $100 for wasted time &amp; trips to the store.  I also talked with several oven people, only to be told that gas will likely never get higher than 650 like wood will.  Also, that no thin-walled oven (metal) will ever hold that kind of heat.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »
I also talked with several oven people, only to be told that gas will likely never get higher than 650 like wood will.  Also, that no thin-walled oven (metal) will ever hold that kind of heat.

Except the Blackstone Oven, which is a thin-walled metal oven heated with propane that can get to 1000F if you want it too. I routinely toss my pizzas in at 850F. It's not a wood-fired oven by any means, but it des get the job done. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Davydd

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »
Speaking of wood-fired I came across this little table top wood pellet fired pizza oven.

http://www.breadtopia.com/phpThumb/phpThumb.php?src=/wp-content/comment-image/405635.jpg

It is described at this website. http://www.breadtopia.com/2013/02/10/uuni-wood-fired-pizza-oven/

I'm not sure it is even shipping yet so obviously I doubt anyone has any experience with it, but it does look interesting.
Davydd

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »
Speaking of wood-fired I came across this little table top wood pellet fired pizza oven.

http://www.breadtopia.com/phpThumb/phpThumb.php?src=/wp-content/comment-image/405635.jpg

It is described at this website. http://www.breadtopia.com/2013/02/10/uuni-wood-fired-pizza-oven/

I'm not sure it is even shipping yet so obviously I doubt anyone has any experience with it, but it does look interesting.

I was really set on getting that Unni oven over the Black Stone. I ended up getting the B.S. which I could not be happier with.

From the pics I have seen of the Unni pizza they looked more burned on the crust. Maybe it does work well just not from what I saw. Plus I wanted to make a bigger pie than 12 inches.

Offline scott123

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
Re; the uuni, I hate to sound like a broken record here, as I've said this elsewhere many times, but it's been thoroughly confirmed that the uuni blows wood ash over the pizza as it bakes.  Apparently, the amount of ash can be minimized if you take particular steps, but in my very strong opinion, pizza shouldn't have any topping of ash.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »
Unfortunately, with half a dozen guests eager for pizza, the BS motor died and I had to put the Pronto into service before dialing in what the best settings are.

Maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Nah!

Great story smtdev.  I've never been a fan of that lightweight BS motor until recently.  Per Red Kiosk's suggestion, I located the shaft collar (with allen screw) just above the lower bearing (not the top metal bushing).  That ball bearing works just fine with the platter axial load and the lightweight BS motor doesn't groan.  Still, do yourself a favor and buy a decent 40# SS rotisserie drop in like the one in post 416 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg296263#msg296263

Got this for a gift last month and have used it three times so far.  Very, very good product.  Recommend without hesitation to anyone who wants a low cost option that is substantially superior to every pizza I've made in my oven using every imaginable technique.

If someone has a picture of the "one inch split stone airgap" on the Pizzeria Pronto,  I would love to see it.
Dave

Offline Davydd

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 04:29:08 PM »
I grabbed this off the Pizzeria Pronto assembly video of the two baking stones.

Davydd

pizzapan