Author Topic: Crispy fried crust  (Read 601 times)

Offline wrm2012

Crispy fried crust
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:18 AM »
Has anyone tried using different amounts and or types of oil or shortening to see if it affects the crust?  To get a fried crust vs. a browning do you use more oil or just a little?  The reason Iím asking is I just tried using a    Coconut oil which is hard oil like shortening instead of olive oil in a pan for a Greek style pizza.  The crust didnít seem to get fried like it has in the past.  Same temp and almost the same time as normal.  However, the cook time did seem to take a little longer on this pizza. I think the crust must have risen a little more in the pan as it did seem to be a thicker pizza than I remember.  So, Iím not sure the coconut oil can be the reason for the change or not. The crust did brown nicely but wasnít like a fried crust if you know what I mean.   

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Crispy fried crust
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »
WRM;
What you experienced is common for any type of hard or plastic fat as opposed to using oil in the pan. The use of shortening, butter, margarine, etc will give a dry, almost bread like crust surface while the use of oil in the pan will result in a fried texture and appearance.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline wrm2012

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
Thanks Tom.  I'm going to stick to oil then as I do prefer that with this style of pizza.  I'm guessing the amount of oil used would also make a difference as well?   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:36:23 AM by wrm2012 »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:45:15 AM »
WRM;
Within reason, the more oil used in the pan, the greater the fried effect will be upon the finished crust. The biggest drawback to using this much oil though is in getting an oily finished crust...but they are soooo good.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline wrm2012

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
Yup, it is so good.  Thanks for all your help with this and the countless other posts of yours I've read.

pizzapan