Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza for over the weekend  (Read 1899 times)

Offline pdog

Blackstone Pizza for over the weekend
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
Hi,

Fired up the old black stone for a weekend of pizza. 

Started off with some Neo pies.

The prosciutto truffle pie was a big hit.  Olive oil, garlic, prosciutto (locally made), white truffle cheese, white truffle oil, and fontina cheese. 

Go very light on the oil due to the soft cheese. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:41:18 PM by pdog »

Offline pdog

Re: Blackstone Pizza for over the weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »
Then moved onto some NY pies.  I must say I am impressed with make NY pies on the BS.  I set the oven to a stone temp of 625.  I set the oven knob control to low, and regulate the flame with the psi gauge.

I cooked the pie for about 2 minutes, and then moved the oven knob to high to finish the top. 

They came out well.  Nice crunch with a nice soft inside. 

Offline pdog

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »
Then I gave an attempt at a pepe's new haven pie.  Came out well.  I am going to continue to do some slower bakes to better balance the heat and the launch.  Always nerve racking launching a large pie onto the stone.  When doing the NY bakes I stop the stone for the launch.

The dog loved it haha. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Man, you made a lot of pies :o , I guess that good looking dog was hungry!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
Great looking pies.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pdog

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Man, you made a lot of pies :o , I guess that good looking dog was hungry!

Mark

Haha..... He always is ready for pizza.  We have taught him numerous tricks, and he does them, but you can tell he is not really into it..... even gives out a huff and puff before doing them. 

When you take a piece of pizza crust as a treat he will do all the tricks he has been taught in a row, and then will sit there an wait for the treat.  If you hold off giving him it for a minute or so, he will repeat all of the tricks again until he gets the crust.

It's so bad now that if the word pizza is announced he comes charging. 

This picture was when we wanted him to poss.  We just said "Pizza" You can almost see him smiling.

Offline pdog

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
Great looking pies.

Thank you..... Not quite to the garage standards but getting better every bake. 

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
Great looking pies.

What temp was the stone for  pepe's new haven pizza. I never heard of that one. I will have to search the recipe.

Online dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
nice work pdog! 

Offline pdog

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
Great looking pies.

What temp was the stone for  pepe's new haven pizza. I never heard of that one. I will have to search the recipe.

Low......  I cooked it at 585 with the flame set to low the full bake.  When I go to do this pie again I think I will shoot for 600 bake on low for 3 minutes then crank up the flame to half power.  I think the pie baked for 45-60 seconds to long.  The crust got overly crunchy when cool.   

Offline pdog

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »
nice work pdog!

Thank you..... the credit goes to the oven.  I have always know high heat was important, but I never realized how much heat plays into the equation. 

To get a great pie at 550 you have to do everything perfect.  Prep, ferment, and stretch.  With high heat you still need to do these items fairly well, but the heat will help masks many mistakes that would ruin a low temp pie. 

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »
pdog, your pizzas are great especially the New Haven and NYC pies. Plus, your dog is totally awesome. The first photo of the ingredients on the counter is really nice too.  Also the ham.  Thank you for sharing.  BTW I know what you mean about being launching large pies. It's like docking a boat in a wind, you gotta get it right! 

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:10:54 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline pdog

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
So.... I feel that we may have all asked this question " Has this gone to far?"

That occurred for me again this week.  I finally completed my RD membership.  Well..... Let's just say that place is awesome.

Back to the addiction for a moment.  The photo below is what I returned with from the RD...... Does this spell adiction.... Nope.  But I asked my wife if she thought this was enough for the weekend, and was serious!  I believe that is when I knew I had a problem!

Offline pdog

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
So..... I know the subject of bromate is somewhat of a controversy.  I bought bromated flour in full strength list in the post above.

I grew up on NY pizza.  I never had a Neo pizza until I was 30 years old. 

Does bromate make a significant difference?  I made 12 dough balls.  4 KABF 59% hydration, 4 Full S 59% hydration, and 4 Full S 62% hydration.

Results????????

I was blown away by the performance of full strength.  The feel of the dough and the strength were unmacthed by any dough to date.

I did a 48 hr cold ferment, and the dough was just perfect. 

I was concerned that I took the dough to far.  I hand kneaded for roughly 8 minutes and here is my window pane.  This dough ball was 17 grams, and I stretched the dough to 8 inches. 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:14:50 AM by pdog »

Offline pdog

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
The Pies?

Here are some pics.  Best I have ever made...... the house smelled like a true NY pizza place, and the pie....... Well....... first pie I actually enjoyed that I made.  People have always told me my pizza was good, but to me it was just okay..... tonight was the first pie that tasted like NY home.

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
Of what I've read is that bromate is not a problem if the dough is cooked all the way through. What can happen is what's called the 'gummy layer' just below the cheese where the bromate doesn't get cooked out.

Potassium bromate has been banned from use in food products in the EU, Canada, Nigeria, Brazil,South Korea, Peru and some other countries. It was banned in Sri Lanka in 2001 and China in 2005 and banned in my house since I found out about it.

In the United States, it has not been banned. However, the FDA has urged bakers to voluntarily stop using it. That's good enough for me to not use it.

The choice is yours but personally, I'm happier knowing I don't have bromate in my dough.

Offline pdog

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 08:51:52 AM »
I understand your concern.  Potassium Bromate is found in numerous foods many of which my surprise you.  Many of the popular NY pizza joints use bromate flour.  I would also guess that many breads served at a restaurant contain bromate.  Wonder bread for example. 

Bromated products also go beyond breads.  Some sodas and sports drinks use a brominated vegetable oil.  Gatoraid and mountain dew has been reported as using the brominated vegetable oil. 

Many foods in the USA have been show to cause cancer.

GMOs (genetically modified organisms) have been proven cancer causing.  GMOs are everywhere, including in most food derivatives made from conventional corn, soybeans, and canola.

Any caramel colored soda contains 4-methylimidazole.  This has been shown to cause cancer as well.

Did you know that microwave popcorn has been linked to testicular cancer? I am being serious even though this sounds like a joke. Perfluorooctanoic acid is highly carcinogenic to humans and is used to line the bags of popcorn. 

Apples!?!?!  E tu fruits?  Yes.  They are called "dirty" fruits, and most are still grown with cancer causing pesticides. 

You truly can not eat ate at a cook out or eat a sandwich without being exposed to nitrates.  Nitrates have been linked to cancer in studies, and the level of nitrates in foods are extreme in comparison to the level of bromates found in pizzas. 

Potasium bromate has been detected in drinking water in Europe and Canada.  They have banned flours contain the same chemical which is contained at a lower level then their drinking water. 

The countries you have listed as banned bromate have also banned numerous other "common" foods that are everywhere in the use.  Most of the list have banned food dyes as well.

Did you know the sun causes cancer too! Okay that one was a joke! If one spends their life looking for cancer causing items they are not going to truly live. 

Back to the pizza talk. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:08:16 AM by pdog »

Online scott123

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »
Pdog, yup, that's the real deal. It's possible to make a pie of that caliber with unbromated flour, but it gets a lot more difficult, and, considering the proven safety of bromate, there's no reason to go through the trouble (unless one doesn't have access to bromated flour).

I'm glad the Full Strength worked out so well for you.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
Pdog - thanks for your post.  There was some new stuff in there for me.
Dave

Offline pdog

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »
More pies from last weekend:

Flour - 100%
Water - 62%
Salt - 1.75%
Sugar- 1.83%
Oil- 2.75%
yeast - 0.25% 48 cold rise
TF .075