Author Topic: Can you identify the maker of this WFO?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
Can you identify the maker of this WFO?
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
I need the maker/brand so I can find some installation instructions........

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Can you identify the maker of this WFO?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
We've seen a lot of ovens here, but I don't ever remember seeing one that looks like that. Notwithstanding, I can't think of a reason why the instillation would be meaningfully different from other cast refractory ovens? I've never installed one, but plenty of other people here have and can probably give you their thoughts on why or why not it may be different for this oven.

What is all the gravel in the mouth of the oven?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
I'm with Craig, I've never seen that particular oven.

Based on the fact I've never seen it, the very shallow entryway, and somewhat neapolitan vent design, I would bet to say this is from one of the multitude or oven manufacturers in and around Naples.  I'd bet somebody had it shipped home after falling in love with wood fired ovens while on vacation there...it's a story I've heard many times before.

The stuff around the oven also looks like what they call "grog" which would signify a european origin.  If that is the case you wouldn't want their instructions anyway....
-Jeff

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
I need the maker/brand so I can find some installation instructions........

Looks like that thing just needs:

a support stand
some insulation
a double walled stainless chimney
protective covering
dough, cheese, and sauce

and you should be all set. Instructions would just hinder progress!

What's the internal cooking surface dimensions and dome height? Are you planning on using it or selling it?

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
I'm guessing that the thing on top flips over and forms a Neapolitan-like vent? I wonder if it has a connection point for a chimney or if you have to build something?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »
SC, can you remove the blue tarp and perhaps take some pics at differnt angles? Or perhaps you are not in possession of the oven yet?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:04:55 PM »
I'm guessing that the thing on top flips over and forms a Neapolitan-like vent? I wonder if it has a connection point for a chimney or if you have to build something?

I'm thinking it goes just like it is, just slid forward.  I base that on the false mortar joints on that edge that match the ones next to the entry.  If it went on like that the casting would take the place of the steel support on the front of a Neapolitan oven and lead to a very similar look with an overhanging vent if finished properly.  It looks like there is a notch in the vent piece that forms a long shallow opening.  My bet is a metal adapter originally went in there similar to a Pavesi oven which angled the flue back over the dome to complete the Neapolitan look.  All speculative, but that is what I'm seeing.
-Jeff

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
PS:  I think the vent piece is upside down as it sits, and the lip that is currently on the bottom is meant to go on the top to for a sort of brick ledge to stucco up against.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
PS:  I think the vent piece is upside down as it sits, and the lip that is currently on the bottom is meant to go on the top to for a sort of brick ledge to stucco up against.

That's what I was speculating.

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:50 PM »
Thanks to all.  The oven was salvaged from a restaurant. I was told the original distributor was Cappacino Alfa. I checked their website but this looks nothing like what they (currently) sell.

The oven is in the driveway of my cabin in northern ontario. I just arrived and will be able to suss it out tomorrow and take some more pictures. I was curious about how the chimney/vent works. I was told there is no chimney, the smoke just comes out the front. There is a very heavy stand for it. It appeared to me that one of the pieces of the floor of the oven is broken - so hopefully I can somehow repair it.

It does seem to me, as pointed out above, that I probably just need to piece it together, some mortar to seal the gaps, insulation for the top (and bottom?) and covering material...... I noticed Forno Bravo sells much of this stuff. Are they the best source or can I get what I need at Home Depot?

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
PS. In answer to a couple of the other questions - I don't have dimensions but will post them along with pics tomorrow. I don't know what the gravel is/was but I'll go with "grog". I am planning to use the oven not sell it. My neighbor found the oven, bought it for a dollar, and transported it a couple hundred miles for me as a gift - in return for feeding him "the best pizza he has ever had" for the past couple years - out of my home grill. So I am quite excited to have this oven - although this "free" oven is quickly morphing, at least in my mind, to a full outdoor kitchen finished with stone masonry......So, hopefully you guys can tell me, based on dimensions, whether it is worth the time and effort to use this, or whether I'd be better off with a new oven....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
So, here is another picture of the oven. So assuming I will never find the actual make -   My main question has to do with the curved piece - I cannot figure out where it goes - it isn't obvious where the flanges on the thing slot into the stove. I have tried above the opening but it is unstable. Could it be some sort of a ledge for the front floor - something to scoop and drop ashes through to a bucket beneath?

The dimensions are 4 feet diameter, 12 inch high door, 13-14 inch high dome at center.  It sits on a very heavy steel table. Additional questions:
 - do I insulate between the oven floor and table? With what?
- one piece of the floor (of three) is cracked into two pieces, and the other middle piece is crumbled at the front. Can I repair the crack, and fill in the crumbled area with some new mortar?
- do I seal all the seams with mortar before insulating?

There is no obvious place for a chimney. If the curved piece is somehow placed above the opening then I suppose that could provide a "vent" into which a chimney could be fitted - but it would be an odd shape and would require a lot of customization and fiddling....
Thanks for your advice.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:23:58 AM by SC »

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »
Here is an additional picture of the piece in question.

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »
One more pic....

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »
the curved piece definately sits above the opening.  the space between that and the top of the oven opening is the chimney vent.  this will need to be boxed in and directed to a vent that goes up through the roof of your building.  this is usually combined with a large layer of insulating material that covers the rest of the dome and then covered with stucco. 
the floor will not patch well but may be fine if it's not too broken up.  otherwise it will have to be replaced. 

check out this thread for lots of photos of different ovens to get an idea of how the vent is typically arranged.
best luck, cool oven.
bill

Offline SC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
Thanks.  Floor is crumbled at front edge but there is still lots of surface that is fine. Thought maybe I could remortar front edge.
The curved piece is quite wobbly when set above door. Do I hold it in place with stacked bricks, or is there a metal piece that needs customizing to hold it?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
hard to say from here, but i would think about setting it in a brick facade maybe somehow incorporating lots of insulation outide the whole dome and chimney vent. 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »
and under the floor as well!