Author Topic: 2Stone Up and Running  (Read 1786 times)

Offline bbqchuck

2Stone Up and Running
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
I picked up my 2Stone from the trucking yard tonight.  I bought it from a member here.  It's a fullsize model with wheels to move around and a lower compartment for the propane tank. It has a 3 speed rotisserie motor.  I'm not sure of the difference between this model and the current Pizza Pro.   I spoke with Willard and he told me what they were but they seemed pretty small and I've actually forgotten over the past few weeks.   

Anyway, it's assembled and running.  I just need a good NP recipe from one of you NP afficianados. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: 2Stone Up and Running
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
Chuck

Nice Pics.  Thanks for posting.  I especially like that flame drama.

That stone looks pretty stout.  I'm guessing that it is 16" dia, but how thick is it? 

Looking forward to seeing the pies.  Willard is a great guy.

Dave

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
This is how I do it: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20479.0.html. You can substitute 0.016% IDY for the Ischia culture.
Here is how I adjust for time and temperature with sourdough: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.0.html
Here is how I adjust for time and temperature with baker's yeast: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg285982.html#msg285982 (be sure you use the table in this link, not the one at the beginning of the thread). For example, 0.04% IDY at 65F would be about a 23-24 hour dough.

The window of usability is usually pretty good on the slow doughs with higher salt content. Particularly if they are lower hydration (60ish%)

One thing to remember, if you are using a 24 hour+ dough, you will probably need to tweak it to get it the way you want it. From mixer to fermentation environment and beyond, no two kitchens are the same.

In a more general sense:

100% Caputo Pizzeria (the 1kg red bag "Chef's Flour" is the same thing)
60% water (suggested range to test: 58%-64%)
2.5% salt (suggested range to test 2.0%-3.0%)

Pick a yeast amount from the baker's yeast table above that will give you the rise temp you want at a temperature you can maintain for an extended period of time.
Pizza is not bread.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
Didn't you recently buy a Blackstone as well? Curious to hear your side-by-side if so.
Josh

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:42:58 AM »
I picked up my 2Stone from the trucking yard tonight.  I bought it from a member here.  It's a fullsize model with wheels to move around and a lower compartment for the propane tank. It has a 3 speed rotisserie motor.  I'm not sure of the difference between this model and the current Pizza Pro.   I spoke with Willard and he told me what they were but they seemed pretty small and I've actually forgotten over the past few weeks.   

Anyway, it's assembled and running.  I just need a good NP recipe from one of you NP afficianados.

The only difference is that the curve of the roof now goes front-to-back instead of side-to-side.

Also, the new ones come with a deli platter, fully stocked mini-fridge, and and wide screen t.v. :-D

Out of curiosity --- how old is your oven? It looks as though these things are built to outlast the lifetime of the purchaser! Hope you got a good deal on it. The seller must be a little bit loco to have sold it!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
Chuck, nice find. I remember you writing about the possibility of getting one earlier. As you know these 2 Stones can achieve high heat, but also cook well in the lower ranges. When I spoke with Willard he seems to cook around 650-700F if memory serves.
Anyway happy baking!!!!!

Mark
P.S. I love the KASL.
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »
Craig
Thanks much for the help with a dough. 

JD
Yes, the Blackstone is sitting right next to the 2stone.  I'm hoping there's not much difference in use.  It appears the 2stone burner is physically larger.  But not sure if it is higher output.  There's no burner control valve.  Burner control is the regulator.  The 2S has a moveable position burner to allow more or less flame over the lower deck to the dome stone. The Blackstone burner is fixed position.   This 2stone doesn't have an ignition system.

John
I don't have any idea how old this one is.  Willard gave me the impression it was very similar to yours.

I'm thinking of some mods:
- an ignition system
- a stopwatch mounted to the front
- some calibration marks on the burner position rod.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »
Mark
I burned thru about 9 lbs of KASL already.  Good stuff. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »
Mark
I burned thru about 9 lbs of KASL already.  Good stuff.

Sub-optimal for NP though.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
I'm thinking of some mods:
- an ignition system
- a stopwatch mounted to the front
- some calibration marks on the burner position rod.

I own the latest version of the 2stone Inferno and, for cooking NP pizza, I only use 2 positions for the burner position control bar - pulled all the way out for getting the oven up to temp (around 850 on the bottom stone) and pushed all the way back during baking and in between bakes. I haven't found a need for any positions in between but I'd be interested to hear if you find any advantages on setting the burner in a position other than these 2.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
Sub-optimal for NP though.

Agreed.  But it does make for some good NY hybrid pies with 2-3 min bakes that are NP-ish. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
Agreed.  But it does make for some good NY hybrid pies with 2-3 min bakes that are NP-ish.

if by "-ish" you mean tough.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
if by "-ish" you mean tough.  :-D

"tough" is a relative thing.   They're more tender than NY at 5-6 mins with the same flour.   :D   One of the things about NP I'm not 100% sold on is the soft/tender crumb.  I get the simplicity and authentic, high quality ingredient part.  But I'm not dedicated to only making NP.  I still like a NY, cracker, or American style.  Not so much on the Chi-town DD stuff. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:41:01 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 01:13:37 AM »
I'm a bit ashamed to post these pix, but it's the first run on the 2Stone and it was so good, I hadda.  :-\ :-D 

The dough was a frozen ball of Emergency NY, modified with Sam Octoberfest beer, fermented an hour and a half, frozen, thawed, re-balled, allowed to rise a few hours again.  Topping was: EVOO brushed to protect the skin, half sauced,  a mix of Buf and Bel Guiso mozz, provolone, smoked gouda,  the best pepperoni I can find, olives on the sauce half.

The 2Stone was preheated WFO (wide-f__-open) for 15 mins. The deck read 850F ish.  Launch was smooth, 60 secs looked like one of Craig's masterpieces, when upon I tried to retrieve it with the Blackstone's aluminum peel.   :-D :-D :-D ...it didn't fit thru the openning.  About 8-10 secs of fumbling for the wood peel and I got it out.  :'(

Still the pie was really good.  Great, even. My wife raved about it.  Fantastic oven spring.  Tender, but not Wonder Bread tender.  My wife said "not wimpy like a Neapolitan..."  :-D >:D 

Anyway...here's the burnt results.  It really didn't have much burnt flavor as the looks of the cornice would have you believe.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:44:37 AM »
The dough was a frozen ball of Emergency NY, modified with Sam Octoberfest beer, fermented an hour and a half, frozen, thawed, re-balled, allowed to rise a few hours again.  Topping was: EVOO brushed to protect the skin, half sauced,  a mix of Buf and Bel Guiso mozz, provolone, smoked gouda,  the best pepperoni I can find, olives on the sauce half.
Love that ingredient list.

Adding an ignitor to the 2Stone should be quite easy.  You can pick one up inexpensively at Home Depot or any number of places (Lowes, Walmart) for a song slice.  I think there is merit to using just one control for the flame and I like the smooth/fine adjustability of those regulators.  On second thought, I think we just need a simple, quality dial valve - that way one doesn't need to mess with turning the regulator dial several rotations.  Maybe someone knows an aftermarket solution, if so, please post or PM me.  I'll pay to upgrade.

Chuck - what is the thickness of that 2stone baking stone?

Dave
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:46:22 AM by Tampa »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Dave
I dunno how thick that stone is.  I could get outta bed and go out to the patio but I would swag it at 3/4".  I know I measured theddiameter at 15 1/2".  The Blackstone is slightly larger but thinner @ 16" diameter.

The thing that tripped me up was the narrow opening of the cabinet.   I'm not sure it's as wide as the stone. That may be my first mod...making the cabinet opening wider.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »
After one pie (burnt  :-D)  I'd say the burner has more BTU than a Blackstone.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
The only difference is that the curve of the roof now goes front-to-back instead of side-to-side.

Also, the new ones come with a deli platter, fully stocked mini-fridge, and and wide screen t.v. :-D

John K

Well, the guy I bought it from threw in this.   :-D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:57:08 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »
And...he included a coupon for these for party events for 5 years or 100,000 pies, whichever is more.    So, I think it was pretty good deal.  But the bad part was that my wife confiscated the coupon.  :'(

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
"I'm a bit ashamed to post these pix, but it's the first run on the 2Stone and it was so good, I hadda.  :-\ :-D "

I'd tear into that pie.
We all gotta start somewhere, look at my pics.  :-D
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

pizzapan