Author Topic: Anyone ever used rye, spelt, farro, whole wheat, or einkorn in their starter?  (Read 608 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
I have a friend who bakes amazing sourdough baguettes, and he told me I should try making a rye starter to add to my dough. Anyone ever try any of these in pizza dough? If so how was it?

Also is it too crazy to mix the rye into a regular bread flour starter?

Let me know. I like this idea because it denotes more flavor.

Offline TXCraig1

As compared to wheat flour, rye flour has more of the enzymes that convert starch to sugars.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

Ok. Good to know, Craig. That sounds like using more yeast. It would of course have more of a sour and lactic acid flavor rather than a yeasty flavor I take it. What would you say?

Offline TXCraig1

Ok. Good to know, Craig. That sounds like using more yeast. It would of course have more of a sour and lactic acid flavor rather than a yeasty flavor I take it. What would you say?

I don't think this changes anything about the quantity of yeast. Rather, there will be more sugar available so fermentation may be faster. Browning may be improved. Rye has more pentose sugars than wheat, so perhaps some different flavors other than the rye flavor itself. It may even be a bit sweeter.

I doubt it will be more sour, but I don't really know. Rye dough does need to be acidified or the enzymes can break down so much of the starch that the texture can get gummy, so sourdough is a natural fit for rye.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dmcavanagh

I've made pizza on a rye crust and although it would never be my "go to" dough, it was a nice change of pace. Would make a nice brunch pie, I topped mine with a mustard cream sauce and ham and swiss.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

I've made pizza on a rye crust and although it would never be my "go to" dough, it was a nice change of pace. Would make a nice brunch pie, I topped mine with a mustard cream sauce and ham and swiss.

Wow that sounds really delicious. Quite different.

Offline arspistorica

• Keep that which is simple abundant.
All of the above-mentioned, with the exception of einkorn, have been shown to support Lb sanfranciscensis in continuously-propagated sourdoughs, so, with this being said, temperature as well as starting and final dough pH matter more. (Additionally, each grain will also produce its own range of volatile aromatic compounds.)
"Senza il mio territorio sarei solo un panificatore."
                                  -Franco Pepe