Author Topic: Zagat's best Texas pizza isn't even pizza  (Read 732 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Zagat's best Texas pizza isn't even pizza
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
Finally something in the Houston Chronicle I agree with. Emphasis added is mine.

"The other day, I was bouncing around the Internet and found another of those "Best Of" lists. This was "50 States, 50 Pizzas." So I scrolled down to Texas and …

This is a joke, right?

According to Zagat, the famous restaurant raters, the No. 1 must-try pie in the Lone Star State is the Mexican pizza at Texas Royal in Cleburne, near Fort Worth.

Here's Zagat's description of this supposedly super-delicious pizza: "What do you get when you cross Tex-Mex with Italian? That's right, a pizza topped with refried beans, ground beef, taco seasoning, onion, jalapeños, cheddar, mozzarella and fresh salsa. At Texas Royal in Cleburne, a suburb of Fort Worth, they take the idea of Tex-Mex pizza to another level by also offering the Fajita Nacho Pizza, made on a cracker-thin crust, and the Atomic Moo, which is similar to their Mexican pizza, though it only has spiced ground beef, fresh jalapeños, red peppers and a whole lot of cheese."

I'm going to scream. The best pizza in Texas … isn't even a pizza! This is Mexican dinner in the round.

That's why, unless you have a long, trusting relationship with a food critic, don't go by - or buy - a "Best Of" list for anything. And that includes don't go by me. Just because I like a certain pizza (Grimaldi's or Kenneally's or Pizza L'Vino or Luigi's) doesn't mean you'll like it. But you will."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/columnists/hoffman/article/Zagat-s-best-Texas-pizza-isn-t-even-pizza-4961803.php
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Zagat's best Texas pizza isn't even pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »
I remember this list, and I was ticked off at their selection for North Carolina...Whattaloadacrap....

"North Carolina: South of the Border at Lilly's Pizza, Multiple Locations

When a food is described as “atomic," you know you’re in for a ride. The South of the Border at Lilly’s features, yes, atomic sauce, along with black bean salsa, diced jalepeños, roasted chiles and a bunch of ingredients that won’t melt your mouth off like chicken, sharp cheddar and Monterey jack. The kitchen also tries to use local and natural ingredients, so you can expect a lot of antibiotic-free meats and organic veggies."
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:39:56 PM »
Someone at Zagat must have a soft spot for "atomic."
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:06:39 PM »
http://screen.yahoo.com/zagats-restaurant-guide-commentary-000000395.html

This sums it up for me as far as Zagat's goes.

Bev and Hank Gelfand. "What do you want??!!" >:(

John K
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:08:29 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »
http://screen.yahoo.com/zagats-restaurant-guide-commentary-000000395.html

This sums it up for me as far as Zagat's goes.

Bev and Hank Gelfand. "What do you want??!!" >:(

John K

Hank sums up all "best" lists at about 1:30,  "Each word more useless than the next."
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 06:51:30 PM »
That should be the stock response to any and all Best of Lists.  :-D
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline jkb

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »
There's "pizza" pizza everywhere.  If you want to stand out, something different is a good way to do it.  No need to be a food nazi.  To paraphrase Duke Ellington, if it tastes good, it is good.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
To paraphrase Duke Ellington, if it tastes good, it is good.

True, but just because it tastes good doesn't mean it's pizza...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jkb

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
True, but just because it tastes good doesn't mean it's pizza...

What makes it "not a pizza"?  I would bet, with the exception of refried beans and maybe cheddar, you have used all of those ingredients on a pizza.  If you throw a bunch of arugula on it it's not a pizza, it's just a salad in the round - right?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:03:25 AM by jkb »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:25:22 AM »
What makes it "not a pizza"?  I would bet, with the exception of refried beans and maybe cheddar, you have used all of those ingredients on a pizza.  If you throw a bunch of arugula on it it's not a pizza, it's just a salad in the round - right?

Actually I have used cheddar but never refried beans, ground beef, taco seasoning, or fresh salsa.

For the record, I never said that the pie in question wasn't pizza - the author did. I see how it could be confusing given the title of my original post. Notwithstanding, I was only commenting on the part I emphasized in bold. If you haven't read my other posts on the subject of "best of" lists, that may have been easy to miss.

With respect to your comment, you made a broad statement, and I simply made a broad response.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »

"North Carolina: South of the Border at Lilly's Pizza, Multiple Locations

Pretty bad when that place is actually in SC.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jkb

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
Actually I have used cheddar but never refried beans, ground beef, taco seasoning, or fresh salsa.

For the record, I never said that the pie in question wasn't pizza - the author did. I see how it could be confusing given the title of my original post. Notwithstanding, I was only commenting on the part I emphasized in bold. If you haven't read my other posts on the subject of "best of" lists, that may have been easy to miss.

With respect to your comment, you made a broad statement, and I simply made a broad response.

I agree that "best of" lists are pretty much meaningless.  There are too many pizzerias and too many pizza variations.  Whatever you think is "the best", chances are, there's something as good or better.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:09:41 AM by jkb »

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »
If you actually go through the pictures of the pies from each state you may experience some nausea.
Trosenberg

pizzapan