Author Topic: Serious Eats-Edition Baking Steel and KettlePizza Backyard Pizza Oven Kit  (Read 1785 times)

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Serious Eats-Edition Baking Steel and KettlePizza Backyard Pizza Oven Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
I can't think of a single advantage this has over a BS which costs $170 less when you include the Weber?

They do donate 10% to Feeding America which is a great origination. Of course, for the exact same amount of money you could have a BS and donate 4X as much to Feeding America, and you get the tax deduction...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »
I've already donated twenty times that amount this year to a local food kitchen.

And I have the Blackstone.

I threw away my Kettle Pizza Insert.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/08/slicer-mmmph-tests-the-pizza-kettle-weber-grill-insert.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:32:35 PM by Mmmph »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »
I sold my kettle insert to put towards buying my Blackstone. I wish I did it sooner. I could have had the Blackstone all summer instead of getting when the weather starts getting cold.

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
I can't think of a single advantage this has over a BS which costs $170 less when you include the Weber?

You know... you could save a good number of people quite a lot of their hard earned cash if you posted this comment on Slice >:D At this point, no one there is listening to me, so any comment I make would fall on deaf ears, but they would listen to you. Just throwing it out there  ;D

Offline italdream

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »
$419.95, plus delivery, plus a 22.5" Weber grill.

At that price, they should also throw in an xbox one, a cell phone, a tv set or something along those lines. The kettle grill could be then sold for scrap.

My experience with the Kettle pizza set was very negative, both on wood or propane in combo with my LBE. Actually, at half that price, I will sell anybody my Kettle Pizza grill and used 18'' weber grill and, what the hell, I'll throw in a few of my old, barely functioning, cell phones.

Offline see_feel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »
I went back and forth many times and lurked on this site reading reviews of both. For me it came down to the fact that I have a Weber already and the kettle rig was a compliment to my Weber. I am a BBQ and grill lover and come from the school of avoiding unitaskers. Yes I know that you can cook a variety of items on the Blackstone, but the unproven track record of longevity it and the conern as to whether or not it will still be functioning in 5-7 years for that level of investement kept me away. Steal and stone are pretty much indestructible if you take care of them.

I have no doubt that the Blackstone is a great product based on the reviews but feel that my Weber with the KettlePizza is equally as good and I have been turning out some solid pies. In my opnion, two great devices that serve the market well based on individual users prefrences and needs. I can't say that either one is head and shoulders above the other.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
I have no doubt that the Blackstone is a great product based on the reviews but feel that my Weber with the KettlePizza is equally as good and I have been turning out some solid pies. In my opnion, two great devices that serve the market well based on individual users prefrences and needs. I can't say that either one is head and shoulders above the other.

Please post some pictures. We've see a lot of what the Blackstone can do, but there are very few members using a Kettle pizza of any sort. It would be great to see more from that oven.

Offline see_feel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
Here are some pics of I believe my third pizza using Steve's quick and easy dough. About to make a sourdough as I got the starter ordered but have not strated the process. Appreciate all the knowledge you all provide here! The pic of the temp is the dome temp. My floor, stone temp, averages between 600-620 degrees.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »
Very nice. I hope you keep posting.

Offline see_feel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
Thank you! I certainly will do. Since traditionally today is the largest pizza consumption day of the year across America, day before Thanksgiving, will probably make a couple of pies tonight.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
see_feel,

Can you tell us which recipe by Steve you used?

Peter

Offline see_feel

• I Love Pizza!

Offline see_feel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »
To give a bit more detail on my process, I heat a chimney of coals until they barely ash on top. I put about a half chimney of unlit on the grill on the sides and back. I then pour the lit coals on top of the unlit along the sides and back of the grill and a few in the middle. Put the Kettle ring, stone, baking steel dome and grill cover on and let that come to temp for about 45 minutes until the stone hits about 550.

I then put in about 5-7 chunks of hardwood depending on size, I used hickory on the pie above. Let that go for about 15 minutes and the dome temp will hit about 900. I have gotten it as high as 1000. My pie then goes on and I bake for about 4 minutes, turning a quarter turn every minute. We like multiple toppings so with fewer toppings I would modify the cook time accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:28:09 AM by see_feel »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »
To give a bit more detail on my process, I heat a chimney of coals until they barely ash on top. I put about a half chimney of unlit on the grill on the sides and back. I then pour the lit coals on top of the unlit along the sides and back of the grill and a few in the middle. Put the Kettle ring, stone, baking steel dome and grill cover on and let that come to temp for about 45 minutes until the stone hits about 550.

I then put in about 5-7 chunks of hardwood depending on size, I used hickory on the pie above. Let that go for about 15 minutes and the dome temp will hit about 900. I have gotten it as high as 1000. My pie then goes on and I bake for about 4 minutes, turning a quarter turn every minute. We like multiple toppings so with fewer toppings I would modify the cook time accordingly.
Thanks for posting.  I am a BS snob and was doubtful of the insert, but your pie result is admirable.  I especially like the big crumb what appears to be good coloration on the underside. 
Dave