Author Topic: Floor temperature?  (Read 906 times)

Offline pnicefor

Floor temperature?
« on: November 07, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
What would you consider the ideal temperature of the floor in a wfo to be ?
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Floor temperature?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Kinda depends on what style pizza you want to bake.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
One that doesn't burn the bottom.  ;)
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
One that doesn't burn the bottom.  ;)

+1

For me, it's 850F.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:41:20 PM »
I had the floor up around 900 and it instantly charred the bottom. I am looking to find that sweet spot for making plain margarita thin crust pizza.   The few times I had the oven floor  up to 650 and it was ok.  Took about 3 to 4 minutes to completely cook a 12 inch pie.   
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »
Did you use 00 flour?

If you have a natural bristle brush ( long handle of course)  spray it with or dip it in water, and hit the floor quick before you launch the pie.  It will take the sting out of a super hot floor....and then keep the pie moving.  Dome it to finish if you have to, until you get a feel for how your oven performs....you'll get it,  time will train you. 

Black frisbees happen occasionally....wait till you accidentally calzone one, then watch it burst into flame while you scramble to scrape the mess off the floor. 

Not that it happened to me, I'm just sayin.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »
I had the floor up around 900 and it instantly charred the bottom. I am looking to find that sweet spot for making plain margarita thin crust pizza.   The few times I had the oven floor  up to 650 and it was ok.  Took about 3 to 4 minutes to completely cook a 12 inch pie.

Something is wrong with your dough or your thermometer if you are getting instant char @ 900F. I'm betting it's your dough. What are your ingredients, ratios, and fermentation/proofing procedure. My pizzas bake on a 925F-950F floor, sometimes higher. Only time I've seen excessive charring on the bottom is with malted flours, added carbohydrates or oils. 

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »

Something is wrong with your dough or your thermometer if you are getting instant char @ 900F. I'm betting it's your dough. What are your ingredients, ratios, and fermentation/proofing procedure. My pizzas bake on a 925F-950F floor, sometimes higher. Only time I've seen excessive charring on the bottom is with malted flours, added carbohydrates or oils.

Remember temperature is only half the equation when it comes to deck temperature, thermal conductivity is just as important, and from what I have been told your Earthstone has a great hearth in it with low conductivity in it.  I've never searched out the data first hand but have been told from a pretty reliable source.  I frequently hear reports from people with medium duty firebricks that they get instant char at 850+. 
-Jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Remember temperature is only half the equation when it comes to deck temperature, thermal conductivity is just as important, and from what I have been told your Earthstone has a great hearth in it with low conductivity in it.  I've never searched out the data first hand but have been told from a pretty reliable source.  I frequently hear reports from people with medium duty firebricks that they get instant char at 850+.

Jeff,

I've never given serious consideration to the thermal conductivity of my floor tiles. I've assumed it would be relatively high since recovery between pizzas, where heat is conducted back into the cooler cooking area, is faster than I can assemble the next pizza. But I can see from all of the discussions of different kinds of stones, steels, etc. that conductivity of the deck is major factor, when comparing the performance of different ovens. Thanks for setting me straight.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:54:11 PM »
Sweet spot for my FB mobile is 825 - 850
the Earthstone like it alittle hotter 850-900
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
When I had the issue with the "Black frisbees" I think I was using pizzeria made dough...   

My dough recipe is:

4 1/2 cups of Caputo 00 flour
1 3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast
1 3/4 cups of water

I am new to this, so correct me if I am wrong, that is a 69% Hydration ratio, correct?

EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
I am new to this, so correct me if I am wrong, that is a 69% Hydration ratio, correct?

Possibly. Depending on how you measured the flour, it could be as low as perhaps 58%. That's why it's never a good idea to measure flour by volume.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »
What sort of oven do you have? Can you post some pictures of the oven and the floor?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
By oz, it is.  It was in a recipe book... both in cups on oz.  I usually measure in oz, on a digital scale...

20.25 oz. flour
.44 oz. salt
.11 oz salt
14 oz water..

I have the FB Andiamo 60.  Here is a pic of my last pie's.  There came out good, but it needs more...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:28:16 PM by pnicefor »
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »
I have the FB Andiamo 60.  Here is a pic of my last pie's.  There came out good, but it needs more...

How long did you preheat the oven in that second pic? It doesn't look like you have much coals, and there appears to still be dark areas on the dome.

I would think you could go at least 825F on the deck - with hopefully 925F+ on the wall farthest from the fire. That should get you close to 60 second bakes
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
That was my very first firing / cooking of the oven.  I will try tomorrow any get the floor up to 800.   
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

pizzapan