Author Topic: Where do you store dough balls prior to opening?  (Read 1029 times)

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Where do you store dough balls prior to opening?
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
Tom,

Yesterday in a related thread ,
 (Re: Preferred temp of Dough Ball to push out and get best Oven-spring
you stated that the optimal temp for the dough ball before opening is 50F with 60F being the upper limit.

Where do you place your dough balls after they come out of the fridge so the temp is 50F. My kitchen room temp is usually 68-75F depending on season and a bit hotter in the summer.

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Where do you store dough balls prior to opening?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
Where do you place your dough balls after they come out of the fridge so the temp is 50F. My kitchen room temp is usually 68-75F depending on season and a bit hotter in the summer.
Mark,

Your refrigerator temperature should be well below 50 degrees F, so there will be a finite time for the dough to reach 50 degrees F once you bring the dough to room temperature. All else being equal, that finite time will depend on the ambient room temperature. Pizza operators learn when to bring their dough balls out of the cooler to be able to use them to get consistent results no matter the room temperature.

I recently conducted several (about 25) dough tests where I brought the test dough balls out to room temperature to warm up. Over the period of the experiments, the room temperature where I live in Texas went from high (from around 80 degrees F) to fairly low for Texas (around 70 degrees F). I routinely took the temperature of the dough balls and found that the time that it took the dough balls to get to a temperature of about 55 degrees F varied in direct proportion to the room temperature. In my case, I was working with some fairly low hydration doughs and found that I could open up the dough balls more easily, and with a better balance between elasticity and extensibility, when the dough temperature was closer to 65-70 degrees F. Usually, I looked for the formation of soft bubbles in the dough balls to gauge when to use them.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:19:01 PM by Pete-zza »

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:56:27 PM »
Peter, thanks. I was not taking into account how long it would take for the dough ball to heat up from cold temp of 40F to workable temp. I will definitely measure next time.

Mark

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
Hmm,

With the help of Mr. Lehmann, I was able to get a dough that I can open up nicely right out of a 36 degree reach in cooler,

I can share the ratios with you if you'd like, I also use 25% APF added to my Bouncer flour to make life easier and get the crust the way I like it out of the oven.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
Hmm,

With the help of Mr. Lehmann, I was able to get a dough that I can open up nicely right out of a 36 degree reach in cooler,
my fridge goes to 40F, why not shoot it out!

Mark

I can share the ratios with you if you'd like, I also use 25% APF added to my Bouncer flour to make life easier and get the crust the way I like it out of the oven.

pizzapan