Author Topic: What went wrong?  (Read 472 times)

Offline Fox-in-Socks

• I Love Pizza!
What went wrong?
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »
I have been making pizza dough for about a year now with King Arthur bread flour, it always comes out well with hydration around 55-60. I decided to try caputo 00 flour and it turned out terribly.

00 flour 100%
water 61%
ADY .6%
salt 1.75%
sugar 1%

The dough turned out too hydrated I think, it was incredibly sticky and impossible to pick up, the only change I made was the flour. I am thinking of dropping the hydration 5 percent to try it out. What caused the dough to turn out so different? It was my impression that it should be able to have a much higher hydration amount than the King Arthur flour.

I do not have a stand mixer so I do everything by hand, maybe that has something to do with it? Is it possible I under or over (I probably didn't) mixed it?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:25:28 PM by Fox-in-Socks »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: What went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »
KABF has an absorption value of about 62% while Caputo (maybe depending on the exact flour) is about 5 points LOWER.  So, Caputo needs less water when making a dough.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.msg375884#msg375884

So, your thinking to use less water would be the right direction.  Having said that, 61% is not all that high for Caputo and many pizza makers use that level or more routinely without it being "incredibly sticky and impossible to pick up."  So, something else may be going on, too.

You may want to share your mixing approach and overall process to help in figuring out the issue.

Also, I am assuming you are using a home oven to make the pies and you attempted that with the Caputo. The odds are very much against you there - you will most likely get a much better pie with the KABF.   You may want to read through through the post that I reference with the link above for some good information.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Fox-in-Socks

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
Thanks, I am using a home oven that gets to 575 F after about an hour of preheating. I mix my dough by combining it all in a bowl, letting it sit for 15-30 minutes and then kneading it for about 5-10 minutes.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »
Then what?
Mitch

Offline Fox-in-Socks

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 12:37:08 PM »
Sorry, then I seperate the dough out into how many pizzas I weighed it out be, ball it up and then put it on a plate with plastic wrap in the fridge for 1-3 days. I find that 2 days is typically best with KABF but for this one I only did about 24 hours. Of course before I use it I let it get to room temperature, I take it out usually 2 hours ahead of time.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
Was it sticky when you balled it up or when you tried to open it up to make the pizza?

Either way, I see no reason why it should be incredibly sticky, etc.  It is possible you have a bad bag of Caputo flour.  A few folks here have experienced that lately.

Anyway, if you want to experiment with the Caputo, back off on the hydration as you suggested.  If you are used to working with KABF at 55-60 (which is low), then working with Caputo at 61 is doubly difficult (higher overall and a flour that requires less water).
Mitch

Offline Fox-in-Socks

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
What would a minimum hydration be? I was thinking 55% but I may also try the same hydration and mix half 00 half KABF.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
I think mixing the flours is probably a good idea.  The Caputo is not a very good choice for the home oven and the KABF will help it brown decently. 

But, if you want to figure out if your flour is ok, then adding KABF will confuse things. 

You should not have to go that low - if you do something is wrong with your flour or your process.  I would try around 57 or 58. 

Mitch

Offline Fox-in-Socks

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
I tried 50/50 00 and KABF, it turned out fine but it was too chewy I think and not crispy enough. I think I'll save rest of the flour for pasta and just switch back to KABF.

wordpress