Author Topic: I want to make pizza tomorrow. What recipe? ~800F  (Read 819 times)

Offline Adam T

I want to make pizza tomorrow. What recipe? ~800F
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
It's been at least a year but I've come back to my grill mod / turkey fryer burner pizza oven. I've made some changes and I want to get started on testing tomorrow. My starter isn't ready yet, I'm just reconstituting it now.

Using KABF and IDY or ADY and cold ferment or room temp what recipe should I start with to make a batch of dough for testing my oven?
I'd like to bake tomorrow, the time is flexible. Any suggestions?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: I want to make pizza tomorrow. What recipe? ~800F
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
what is your room temp?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:05:52 AM »
what is your room temp?
About 68F. I guess if I needed I could use the oven with the light on too. I put my baby starter in there so it was more active quicker.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
68F is fine.

How about something like this:

100% KABF
64% cold water
2.5% salt
0.04% ADY  or  0.03%IDY   (given the small quantity, I would dissolve either is a bit of tepid water - taken from the formula water and warmed to around 100F)

Mix until generally smooth and homogenous - 3 or 4 minutes in a mixer is probably plenty. It wonít get completely smooth and silky yet. It will still have a bit of a rough look when you stop the mixer. Itís going to feel somewhat tacky and rather soft. Dump it onto a counter, give it 15 or so kneads until it is fairly stiff, cover with plastic or a bowl, and let it rest for 7-10 minutes. It will have relaxed noticeably. Stretch and fold it 4 or 5 times. Watch this video if you donít know what I mean by stretch and fold: http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/video/2008/03/bertinet_sweetdough.  It will get stiff again and get some tears on the surface. Cover and let it rest again for another 7-10 minutes. Remember to try to capture air in the dough as you do your stretch and folds. Give it a few more stretch and folds. If it is now silky smooth, youíre done. If not, give it one more rest and a few more stretch-and-folds, and you should be good to go.

Bulk ferment for 2 hours then divide and form into balls. Let rise for 22 hours or so. Keep an eye on it for the last 8 hours or so. You can speed things up by putting them into a warm (115F-120F or so) oven or slow things down by putting them into the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips too.

This doesn't call for a lot, but kneading has always been trouble for me, I've never been comfortable that I'm doing it correct.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »
It just takes experience. The more you do it, the more comfortable you get - particularly if you try a lot of things that are new and different from what you are comfortable with.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »
Don't worry about it if something doesn't work they way you hoped. Learn from it. Figure out what corrections to make and try it again.

Save the things you are very confident in for when you have guests.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
Is it a firm slap, stretch and fold or a gentle stretch and fold when you get to that point?

Am I looking for the dough balls to double? is that how you know they are ready at the end?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 10:33:11 AM »
You don't want to beat it like it owes you money, but It's OK to be firm with it. Pretty much like it shows in the video except that your dough is going to be more difficult to stretch as it is less hydrated and has no oil. It won't need anywhere near as much stretching as in the video. I just included that for the technique - nothing else.

About double is what you want in the balls.

Here are some pics that might help: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.msg202047.html#msg202047
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
You don't want to beat it like it owes you money

lol

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
Craig, I too am working with non refrig fermented dough. If I may ask, what temp is your dough ball after balling? Or perhaps it is not critical? Approx what temp is the cold water? Is there a range of room temps that this method is good for, and with this amount of yeast, what is the range of ferment times?
Thanks so much for your help, as always.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »
Craig, I too am working with non refrig fermented dough. If I may ask, what temp is your dough ball after balling? Or perhaps it is not critical? Approx what temp is the cold water? Is there a range of room temps that this method is good for, and with this amount of yeast, what is the range of ferment times?
Thanks so much for your help, as always.

Mark

I don't often measure the temps. For a dough like this, I'd guess in the low-mid 70's out of the mixer, so it's probably down to 70F +/- when balled. The water is probably 40-45F.

The yeast %, time, and temp combination are straight off my chart: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg285982.html#msg285982
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
thank you, Craig. I am a bit challenged by the chart but....... if I use a ferment temp of 60-65F for say 26 hrs , I read the chart at a 0.03-0.04% IDY. I will give it a try. ;D 

After plugging in the #s to the advanced calculator I come up with 0.08g IDY. my scale only goes to 0.0g, maybe that's why I have been using more yeast? :o

Mark
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:13:52 PM by mkevenson »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
The more you scale up your recipe, the bigger the yeast quantity and the easier to measure.

Here is a way to measure small quantities:

Dissolve 1g yeast in 99g water. The solution is now 1% yeast or 0.01g yeast per 1g solution. For 0.08g yeast, use 8g of the solution. Be sure to lower your formula water by the amount added with the yeast.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
The more you scale up your recipe, the bigger the yeast quantity and the easier to measure.

Here is a way to measure small quantities:

Dissolve 1g yeast in 99g water. The solution is now 1% yeast or 0.01g yeast per 1g solution. For 0.08g yeast, use 8g of the solution. Be sure to lower your formula water by the amount added with the yeast.

Ah yes, I remember reading that before, but forgot!!! Thanks

Mark

Offline Adam T

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
The test went well. I found out that 800F up to 900F is crazy hot, way to hot for my KABF dough. 650F to 700F was much better for this dough and my set up.

My starter is ready to go so I'll be using that now. I thought I might try a 50/50 mix of KABF and all-purpose flour next time I want to bake at 800F. I haven't tried to track down 00 flour here in west Michigan.