Author Topic: first pizza job  (Read 159 times)

Offline mellow104

• I Love Pizza!
first pizza job
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
i've worked in many restaurants before, but pizza is a first for me.  before i can hope to move up the ladder i need to be able to make pizza like the best guys at my new job.  and man, are they great.  they put out excellent quality pies in a high-volume restaurant every day.  i'm talking perfect crust, perfect size, perfect execution, perfect everything.  i'm talking like 40 second cheese pies.  i'm looking for any help i can get because as it stands right now i can only make ~1 good pie by the time these guys have started their 4th.   all our doughs and supplies come from corporate but the actual making is all by hand.  im here for techniques.  Thanks for the support!

scott123

Re: first pizza job
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:17:42 PM »
Mellow104, welcome to the forum.

While I think there's a lot to learn here in the way of stretching, the one thing that I've noticed is that you'll find a lot of different approaches, and I'm not sure all these varied approaches will help you match the output of the experienced workers.

Definitely, read the forum, but, if I were you, I'd find the guy with the top stretching skills, track down a video camera (or camera phone), film him from different angles, and watch the video over and over again. At the same time you're watching the video, mimic his movements with your hands.  I find doing hand movements against a table or against a bed helps.  If you do the hand movements over and over again for hours, by the time you get back to the dough, your speed should pick up.

Another thing to consider- and this took me a while to figure out, is that slower stretching adds additional work. As dough sits on the bench, it absorbs flour and gets sticky.  They might be able to flour the dough ball once and form the skin without adding more flour while, until you get up to speed, you will most like have to add more flour during the stretch. If you don't add flour and can't stretch quickly enough, the dough will catch on the bench and your circle will be gone.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:24:50 PM by scott123 »

pizzapan