Author Topic: How do you apply sauce/Does anyone use a squeeze bottle?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
How do you apply sauce/Does anyone use a squeeze bottle?
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:48:07 PM »
I hate using ladles for applying sauce - the handle is made for dipping into liquid, not for spreading.

Instead,  I apply sauce with an ice cream spade - a wide, flat spoon.  I like it because it's easy to spread the sauce once you have enough on there. 

Seems to me it would be easier to get a big squeeze bottle, with a wide nozzle, and squirt out a bunch of sauce in a circular pattern, and then spread it with an ice cream spade or some other wide spoon.

Anyone do that?

Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How do you apply sauce/Does anyone use a squeeze bottle?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »
Fio,

The answer to your prayer may be a sauce spreading tool that was developed for Domino's and called a "Spoodle": http://www.instawares.com/powersearch.asp?sessionID=132189624B2DA47C7C40140&mySearchTerm=spoodle&site=&imageField.x=15&imageField.y=7.
I believe the Spoodles are color coded by volume of sauce.

Peter

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 06:19:34 PM »
You amaze me.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:20:23 PM »
fio, yes I have applied sauce with a squeeze bottle.  I started doing this with my cream or oil based sauces, but I did a few months back try it with red sauce.  It worked like a charm for  my non chunky style tomato sauces.  the nice thing is that they can go right back in to the fridge for storage until your next round of pizzas.  I unscrew the top and put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the squeeze bottle opening and then screw the top back on.  My first few squeeze bottles were sort of small and I purchased them at a normal kitchen store. I use these smaller ones for a basil infused oil and a garlic red pepper infused oil.   I ended up finding nice big ones for half the price at a wholesale kitchen supply store. These work better for a standard tomato sauce or pesto sauce.   There is no question that these speed up the rate that I can make pies, plus they use up less counter space than normal plastic containers.  I find them invaluable when I do big parties.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 07:42:43 AM »
The answer to your prayer may be a sauce spreading tool that was developed for Domino's and called a "Spoodle": http://www.instawares.com/powersearch.asp?sessionID=132189624B2DA47C7C40140&mySearchTerm=spoodle&site=&imageField.x=15&imageField.y=7.
I believe the Spoodles are color coded by volume of sauce.

So anyone know why the spoodles from Franklin cost about $10 and those from Volrath are over $80?

Bill/SFNM

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 08:09:25 AM »
I don't know, but I do know which one I'd buy. Probably just the name.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 08:37:57 AM »
Bill and itsinthesauce,

I, too, wondered when I saw the Vollrath products being offered at twinsupply.com at over $60 each. I thought that might have been for a set or a box of them, but when I reread the text there was no indication that such was the case. When I then checked the following site, I saw the Vollrath products sold individually at what appears to be normal prices: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/158/CLID/1651/N/87084/Grip_N_Serv_Spoodle.htm.

I have also seen the Spoodles sold on eBay, which be worth monitoring for those interested in finding the product at a reasonable price.

I couldn’t find anything on why one would use the perforated Spoodles and finally concluded that the perforated tool must be to allow one to let an overly thin sauce to drain a bit before putting the sauce on the pizza.

As I was trolling the web this morning, I also found this PMQ Think Tank thread on how professionals put sauce on their pizzas: http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi/noframes/read/26583 .

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 09:18:41 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for the great info. Perhaps the perforated one is for applying a thin sauce. The sauce flows though the holes as you are spreading it. Just a guess.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pietradoro

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 02:21:26 PM »
pietradoro,

Since the Spoodle is a cross between a spoon and a ladle, it has a flat handle that comes out of the side of the sauce cup. Consequently, I would think that it would be a bit easier to use than a ladle with the handle orthogonal to the sauce cup. With the Spoodle, you just flip it to empty the sauce on a pie. With a ladle, you almost have to turn it upside down. I have a sauce ladle, but without the flat bottom, and I find it inconvenient to use, especially with a fairly thick sauce. The Vollrath Spoodle also has a thumb notch and a hook of some sort to keep the Spoodle from falling into the sauce container (which is not something that I would personally need in a home setting).

Peter

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
A friend of mine who is a Franchisor has three distinct ladels for their three sizes. It assures quantity and quantity and controls costs. I think he has them made locally. I'll ask him.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
I meant qulity and quantity...duh

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 08:20:45 AM »
Once again, Peter. . . . thanks for the info.

Looks like I'm buying a couple spoodles soon.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 10:55:32 PM »
I find that a fairly large wooden spoon works best.  Why?  Because the sauce tends to adhere to the back of the spoon as you spread it.  This does not work as well with a metal spoon.  Start in the middle, spread to the edges in a windshield wiper motion.  If you're handy you can do the side nearest to you in a backhand fashion.  If not, simply rotate the pie / peel enough to cover it.

Bill

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »
Currently I use a laddle, but like the spoodle and may pick one up.  This raises another question, how much sauce to you generally put on a 12 or 16 inch skin?  I'm guessing the laddle I use holds about 4 oz. (I'm at work and can't measure it right now)  If I get a spoodle, I think I'd be inclined to by a larger one since it's easy to use less and portion control isn't really a priority for me at home.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 01:33:16 PM »
Currently I use a laddle, but like the spoodle and may pick one up.  This raises another question, how much sauce to you generally put on a 12 or 16 inch skin?  I'm guessing the laddle I use holds about 4 oz. (I'm at work and can't measure it right now)  If I get a spoodle, I think I'd be inclined to by a larger one since it's easy to use less and portion control isn't really a priority for me at home.

Great question.

This website: http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/RightToppings.pdf Has a fantastic chart on how much of each topping to put on various sizes of pizza, to account for light, medium, and heavy applications.

Reading this chart, I decided that a 4 oz. and a 5 oz. spoodle would fit my needs.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 07:54:40 PM »
I found a place that seems to have a broad offering of Spoodle type units from several different manufacturers (including Vollrath) at what appear to be reasonable prices: http://foodservicenow.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=spoodle&sort=4a&page=1. I don't know anything about the outfit or what their shipping charges are.

Peter

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 09:04:06 AM »
I use a set of Foley's stainless measuring cups.  I must admit the longer handle on the spoodle would be a little easier, but I am just a home cook (3 pizzas at a time) and don't really need these.  These cups also belonged to my grandparents and I believe they are vintage.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline OZZIEPIE

• CRIKEY..LOOK OUT FOR THAT BASE
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 04:40:28 AM »
I use a large commercial aluminium spoon,infact never seen a place not use 1 here in oz :chef:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:43:44 AM by OZZIEPIE »
ITS ALL ABOUT THE FLAVOUR GUYS

Offline Harv

• Did someone say pizza?
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 05:13:04 AM »
I have found that the best tool in my kitchen for spreading sauce is a silicon brush like the one shown below.
Whether you like a lot of sauce or a very thin layer,  you can get nearly perfect uniform coverage.  And, even on the thinnest doughs there is no danger of ripping the dough.   If you're using a screen or perforated pan very little downward pressure is needed to spread the sauce so the dough is not pushed into the holes making sticking more of an issue. 

pizzapan