Author Topic: Ferrara VS Gianni Acunto  (Read 5191 times)

Offline ibleedpizzasauce

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • Wood Fired Oven Baker, Inc.
Re: Ferrara VS Gianni Acunto
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »
Mario Acunto Forni Classico 7 Vulcano Extra
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:50:32 AM by Steve »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
 woooh, Easy Gunner!
Thanks for your Kindness Ellie but 1000's? Nah. I have helped many an  interested Mobile operator with questions on how to get going and how it all works, but really just help where I can, we all do.  Many members here have forgotten more than I will ever know!
Be calm, tread lightly, learn about the membership,  the who's who here, and what they post. Don't get too hyped up on comments, its all personal opinions and everyone is entitled their own opinions. Not a personal attack. Read and enjoy some of the many famous threads on this site beyond ovens... there is a great thread on Authentic ovens if you want to add a few pics there. There are some great people here for sure ! Please understand, as I mentioned,  this is a mostly a home pizza maker site, an open forum where all things Pizza (and more) are discussed, really not for selling ovens and equip. I know Bummer!  Some members do go on to open pizzerias and I am confident they will contact us at Wood Fired Baker when the "research phase" begins. Appreciate your passion and all you continue do for the artisan community and me!  Lets keep those containers coming. See you soon !
Ciao 
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »
If none of the ovens you deal have any compromises made for mobility and weight, can you explain why none of them have the same shape as the stationary site built ovens that have been built in Naples for hundreds of years?

I've read the spec sheets on these ovens, and had my hands on them in kitchens...at least one of them has literally no insulation(very clear with simple math from the specs) and the outside is certainly in the range for 250F when operating. 
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
Mario Acunto Forni Classico 7 Vulcano Extra

Now that is a beautiful oven - it's almost as wonderful as the humble simplicity of mine  :-D - truly stunning, Ellie!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
If your neck hurts here's a differnet view. The tile and shape dont make those crazy good pies, I love your Home oven Craig! 
Pretty sure we are Speaking of Mobile ovens here, Stefano and Acunto, apples to apples and not the built on site Beauties. As Jeff mentioned, all mobiles are compromised (weight) in some way to make them available (mobility) to ship all over the world. I also believe there are some great advantages and obvious different building techniques / shape, to a well built Fixed Oven. In america we have these crazy UL listings as well that need to be adhered to in many states. That aside, I  think its also a  Budget restiction which often does not allow many who are considering a wood fired oven to fly in 2-3 people and all the supplies to build such Beautiful Pieces! as shown over in the other thread. The choice goes to the one footing the bill $, location, time line, and maybe a little on available space for the unit?
Whatever Lola wants Lola gets 
ciao!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:26:16 AM by JConk007 »

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »

Very interesting.... this should be super fun! =) Let me start by saying I am a dealer and importer of all these ovens so I hold “ZERO” special interest and instead offer guidance as a consultation, facts from manufacturers cut sheets of differences and opportunity in letting clients clearly touch, inspect and bake on each oven within their research and pizza baking objective within review, so they are not cornered or have one manufacturer shoved down their throat verses another. I will “in fact” clarify a few things on behalf of Acunto Mario because they are not witnessing your allegations but with spec sheet manufacturing data and a clear vision I trust the readers will have we will clarify the fogginess offered in your words and statements.

Your statement: “John, it looks like you re-sell ovens now, but not sure where you got your info from”.

* John is not a reseller but a consultant of our company Wood Fired Oven Baker, Inc. a direct importer and dealer of multiple 40' containers every month out of Naples, Italy. We export and import all these manufacturers Acunto Gianni, Acunto Mario, Stefano Ferrara, Valoriani, etc...That you have named. John is also a private pizzaiolo chef with many-many years in the business. His pies tell many "amazing" stories and his training skills and help with hundreds if not thousands of pizzaiolo chefs here on this forum are truly awesome!

Your statement: Those mobile MA (meaning Mario Acunto) were first created for the Pizzafest in Naples in the 90s as specific street show pieces.

* You say, "Street show pie"...

...Interesting...Mario Acunto has a family history of manufacturing ovens since 1892 not the 90's as you say...fact.... Mario Acunto is situated in a manufacturing facility in equivalent to USA measuring standards over 36,000 sq. ft. just outside kilometers from downtown Naples. They export easily by record more ovens than the other two combined manufacturers (Acunto Gianni and Stefano Ferrara) around the world yearly in which you have misled the reader. It is just until late 2013 that Mario Acunto deemed the US market interesting seeking all UL/NSF certifications on the Classico wood burning models 5-7-10 etc.… (120cm, 130cm, 140cm). Hands down this is an exporting fact out of Italy into all surrounding country’s seeking Acunto Mario. Export records can be researched to clarify this for you. My pleasure to direct you. ...Still to the day, in his early 70's now, Mario Acunto himself orchestrates with a team of professional forni manufacturers and his family building all of these ovens by hand. The ovens are still being handcrafted over 100 yrs. later not the 90’s. I've been there at the Mario Acunto facility taking thousands of photos of the manufacturing facilities all throughout Italy in which we import. I've also been to Gianni Acuntos facility with Gianni and Marco Acunto and Stefano Ferraras facility with Stefano as I also import S.F. Forni as well. Actually Stefano will be with us at our facility in less than 10 days and eating at my kitchen table in Denver just before we fly to the East Coast March 4th for a project. Interesting to show him your post as well. Both Gianni Acunto brother of Mario Acunto who have been manufacturing ovens in their family since 1892 as well as the Stefano Ferrara manufacturing facility whom has been manufacturing ovens since 2001 are approximately (10 x's smaller) in manufacturing space than Mario Acunto. Is that what you call street show pie manufacturing? The masses would love to hear I’m sure on this forum. The people on this blog cannot be brainwashed by silliness and remarks. And might I add over 120 yrs. of forni manufacturing history and artisan skill has been with the Acunto family both Mario and Gianni that until this last decade was one and not two companies. For what you are saying calling it a “street pie company” that's just down right silly and obviously your words are opinion and you have a vested interest. How about being transparent? I am stating "facts" here! 

Your Statement: "These are light, cheaper and are not even considered in the same league as proper built on site ones".

Statement: "You say Lighter"
...Interesting again...next to both Acunto Gianni and Stefano Ferrara Forni, Mario Acunto Forni have the heaviest ovens on the market in these three comparisons. They have without a doubt of understanding clear numbers the thickest bottom of oven-to-oven top floor over 13.75 inches thick. The dome insulated refractory also the thickest. All of this creates the weight of accepting the energy of the fire and the heat. May I ask where you are getting your statistics because I can show you "raw manufacturing data spec sheets as well as container weights with itemized weight schedules per oven"? =) Everyone here can see them by web searching the spec sheets. All public and clear knowledge. Geeesh... I love math and numbers and not speculation. Again, you cant’s twist a number into another one just because you would like to.

* Statement: "You say Cheaper"
...A sale of a product is by what someone wants to sell them for “being me offering value to my clients” and since I am the only one importing containers of all these manufacturers not just one manufacturer, in doing so I make the prices. Actually I can make them any price and if you would like to see pricing please visit woodfiredovenbaker.com and you will see the pricing schedule of each manufacturer for comparing. For clarification for you to be outlined as the following from most expensive to least expensive...Acunto Gianni, Acunto Mario, Stefano Ferrara... Maybe tomorrow I will make them more maybe or less but I do know that price says absolutely nothing about quality. We see this everyday around us as consumers. If you would like I have an oven I can sell you for 20,000 USD does that make that oven better or does the manufacturing skill and length of time in the business paired with decades of research, materials being implemented and value of one's craft in essence create the cost of the ovens outline value?  Ha-ha...silly.... the term less expensive is how I offer value to our clients instead of lining my pockets with their 100 bills. "Value"... I make less because I can. I do not have greed to feed daily. I also drive a 20K VW not a 80K Maserati.

Statement: You say "The first layer of bricks, standing up, is placed with the smaller thickness in depth (5.5-6 cm approx. vs. 11cm), again for lightness of the oven, and actually is again a cheaper design that also can cause a floor/dome unbalance.

* This design has been created from an engineer Mario Acunto after building up and tearing down dozens of ovens. It is for a very clear reason so please pay close attention…science shares with us that a horizontal brick straight up an down over time will fall more easily meaning dome collapse if a wall is deteriorated from impact consistently like wood logs being hit within the oven or the heating up and cooling off daily from 1,000 degrees to 400 degrees. Turning a brick from one direct to the side does not make that same brick weigh less. The brick is still the brick. Behind that brick there is actually the thickest refractory material shown in measurement of numbers, which again can’t be manipulated with words than the other two ovens also outlined. Impact and weight stability is the key here. Just like the roof palaces and structures of Greece and Roman buildings the arches are created slowly on a curve to handle the massive weight of the roof. In terms of an oven this would be the dome. Mario Acunto the engineer himself starts the base brick walls to the dome with each and every brick cut on an angle slightly to handle the dome weight and refractory dome thickness as well as the fluctuation in heat or constant impact of a log in a hot dome. If you also read clearly the spec sheets you will see that the dome wall and refractory all the way to the exterior of the oven exterior finish is in fact the thickest as well of the three ovens outlined. Can I please ask you, how are you getting your numbers? How do you call this light when it’s the heaviest oven of the three manufacturers model number mobile fleet outlined? There is no unbalance here but your speculation! This does not also make a less expensive design but in the engineers and artisans eye who has been building these ovens since he was a child over 60 years ago from his father “strong” and a foundation for durability! Floor/Dome unbalance, these words together when speaking of the facts above do not correlate. We do see one thing that you have clearly stated, yes they are not an oven built fixed in one place as mobile Stefano Ferraras are not as well either the GA series Gianni Acuntos.

Your Statement: The Vesuvio shape is just an exterior shape, and as far the functionality needed is maintained anyone could make it of any shape (I personally prefer the exterior that follow the actual functionality. A lot of those pictures appeared on this site in the last few years, actually shows a lot of worrying dome design that should be a more relevant valuation factor than any other (it will visibly affect fire management).

* All of those pictures are current pictures of ovens from me and those ovens are on site in my warehouse premises as we speak. John is not conveying anything by sharing. He is letting the reader view the photo of finish work all for themselves. Again something a picture can tell us 1,000 words. They are not pictures from previous years. They show current time "Todays Craftsmanship" in all three manufacturers ovens that come in here and that are here month after month!

Your question: Finally may I ask you what the 200 value refer to?

* This 200-250 value refers to the exterior dome temperature of the exterior of the oven. We get calls monthly referring to the outside temperatures and why. I'd like you to give me one contact of an oven that reaches temperatures on the exterior of an Acunto Mario Forni please at 250 properly seasoned and opperated? If operated properly with the refractory thickness and manufacturing, proper start up and cureing as well as proper operation they should never get to this temperature. Some ovens do and I have a list of the restaurants and the inquiry some of them perhaps even reading this forum and I do not have one so far being an Acunto Mario Forni.

Is inside walls temperature or outside walls temperature?

* It's the outside wall temperature of the ovens that has been clocked over 200 degrees F none being Acunto Mario Forni to date. Is that in F or C? Answered...

And how many hours after operation would be measured?

* 12 hrs. of operation per day but doesn't need to be. These temperatures are showing up as exterior dome temps after 8 hrs. at times.

With coals still in or removed?

* Ash and coals and fire inside...doesn't matter. Fire roaring, the ovens should not reach the exterior temperatures of 200-250 degrees F if properly insulated and safely and properly cured and operated. Doesn’t happen on a Mario Acunto Forni.

* If outside, which side of the oven?

* Clients have shared these temperatures on all side of oven doesn't matter the banking side of wood or the opposite or the back. Not relevant in this case. The statement is that the ovens are seeing temperatures sometimes between 200-250 degrees F.

First of all thanks for your reply. I do not participate very often to this forum and I had read a statement by John on the lines of "I sell" and that is why I stated that understood he was selling ovens, not any other reason. I am behind Forno Napoletano, and is well known here, but my statement were to address John's oven review with the information I have. I do not see as talking positively or negatively about the competition but stating fact as known by the majority of people in the pizza business in Naples at the very least. I will only still address that review and your response to that review as I will not cover other aspects  and other producers you alluded to. Due to pricing and design philosophy I do not even see Acunto's as competition for FN.

When a neapolitan journalist was writing a book about neapolitan pizzeria and ovens, a AVPN manager contacted me via email to ask me to share my historical research on builders that he later confirmed and shared with the journalist, leaving out of the history my own company name for avoiding "vested interest".

I have grown up in Naples, was training in the 90 as a pizzamaker at a friend's pizzeria and he was one of the early winner of the pizzafest, the street show AVPN created to promote pizza napoletana. A lot of producer claims to be making ovens for generation. At the end of the day I can take you around Naples and shows you only ovens from TWO families that are around from the 30's-40's-50's-60's.... All others start appearing in the 80's and 90's.

I have great respect for the Acunto family, as probably they were the first ones to produce a brick made mobile version, and they may have industrial capacity, well done to them, is their call as we personally prefer to maintain the artisanal nature of oven building. However  alluding to your historical records, they have an advertised record of being an "OFFICINA MECCANICA" (I have not checked their website in years but It was reported on GA website for a long time) literally a mechanical workshop, or better they are known to have been making metal works such as oven doors, and flue system for a very long time (wall inspection flue window was one of their speciality) and that is what I could verify in Naples. I have stated before that many modern oven builder use their door and have been using them for a while. I have never seen ovens made by them anywhere in the city before around the 90's. If you know otherwise, please let me know and I will personally inspect it and publicly confirm that this is the case... That may be the case that they have been making some sort of oven for generations, but I could not find any in all the pizzeria I have visited in almost 20 years of pizza napoletana research. As far as I know both Acunto's have been great exporter to Japan since first the pizza napoletana movement started there.

The MA original mobile oven  (without the extended top to make it a vesuvio model -picture attached ) was the lightest and cheapest model available in Naples when I last checked few years ago. It was not negative to say street show, I am just stating why I was told at the time these ovens were made that way, and thus for the PIZZAFEST by AVPN, a Pizzeria "street show", first organised around the castle in Naples and then for years within the Mostra d'oltremare (a larger open space area). About cheap, I am talking about less 2000 euro or there about  and  I am not talking about what you charge in USA, I am talking about prices in Naples. I have seen them positioned and moved around the pizzafest at the Mostra D'oltremare in Naples with 2000 kg capacity forklift (to add to the weight statement) and finally, around the positioning of the brick with the thinnest part facing in, I know a brick is a brick, but by placing it that way, you are using one brick instead of two for every 11cm approx of circumference, or not? Also to address the downwards forces of the dome weight, it is clear in the how to build neapolitan oven thread that they use an external metal reinforcing structure which will not make the brick push outwards http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26441.0;attach=127100;image

Further confirmation around weight info were given to me by AVPN marketing department when I was discussing our FN weight specs, and at 3000-3500kg approx per oven according to them we were the heaviest mobile ones by margin, and AM the lightest (they still have two left over from the pizzafest stock at their training facility). 

Ciao

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »
At the end of the day, differences aside, every one of these ovens is better for Neapolitan then anything not built in Naples and you guys have brought options to the American market and made them easily accessible, complete with UL listing.  That's a win for everyone.  At the end it is still buyer beware.  If anyone buys an oven solely on the sales pitch of the representative selling that oven, shame on them. 
-Jeff

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
Here are a few visits to all manufacturing facilities outlined above.

BTW, I was wonder if you have seen the facilities with your own eyes of all manufacturers outlined above.... manufacturing technique, materials used and where they are sourced, specific specifications, review and study of floor heat sink and dome thermal mass...etc.??? We are talking of the upper tier of quality Italian manufacturers of ovens offering mobile forni models.

On a side note, UL/NSF has strict standards and guidelines for safe manufacturing and fire/heat control to combustable. All three manufacturers now have UL/NSF certification. We are speaking here of some of the top manufacturers in the industry without a doubt.

It's unfortunate to see the bashing you have done towards the specific oven manufacturers without review of clear spec sheets giving onto the pizza world much of your personal opinion as well as uninformed specifics and speculation.

I trust the next forum will be reviewed a bit more thoroughly.

Kindness,
ellie

Ellie,

in addition to my response, again clarifying that there was no bashing, but a response to john review... yes I had visited GA before you probably ever heard of neapolitan ovens.  I have also seen the original specs of most competition, but not sure if these have changed. I have personally contributed to the design and test of our mobile oven, so that  the required mass and insulation was provided for the specific performance I deemed necessary for my clients (as a pizza consultant) both in USA and UK. Neapolitan ovens are artisanl by neature and industrial comparison are not a positive in my view of things, otherwise the northern refractory producers that makes ovens as well, would be better then anything out of Naples anyway. UL/NSF was something I first explored in 2005. In terms of investment I did not see the needs at the time as most clients were still able to install ovens.  We have had at least two ovens certified on site, so the oven itself passed the certification, but we would need to have a factory certification so to cover every ovens that come out of our door. The certification cover the safety of the oven (it will not burn down basically), and as far as I know, all they have applied for it have been certified. We are now again exploring the opportunity to certified ourself as a "factory".

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
woooh, Easy Gunner!
Thanks for your Kindness Ellie but 1000's? Nah. I have helped many an  interested Mobile operator with questions on how to get going and how it all works, but really just help where I can, we all do.  Many members here have forgotten more than I will ever know!
Be calm, tread lightly, learn about the membership,  the who's who here, and what they post. Don't get too hyped up on comments, its all personal opinions and everyone is entitled their own opinions. Not a personal attack. Read and enjoy some of the many famous threads on this site beyond ovens... there is a great thread on Authentic ovens if you want to add a few pics there. There are some great people here for sure ! Please understand, as I mentioned,  this is a mostly a home pizza maker site, an open forum where all things Pizza (and more) are discussed, really not for selling ovens and equip. I know Bummer!  Some members do go on to open pizzerias and I am confident they will contact us at Wood Fired Baker when the "research phase" begins. Appreciate your passion and all you continue do for the artisan community and me!  Lets keep those containers coming. See you soon !
Ciao 
John

This is a good summary, as again you have stated your opinion and I responded with my knowledge. I welcome anyone to meet me in Naples where I can back up anything I said

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
I am planning to visit Naples withing the next few years as I think its a must at this time in my pizza Life  :) I would love to meet Yes! You know most everyone and everything about the area and ovens...
Marco please know I have absolutley nothing against your business, ovens, or extensive knowledge. Again just In my Opinion they look Fabulous. I have never cooked on them or even know where they may be found in the USA ? Another opinion is that we are all better off allies not enemies. This is a passion with a touch of business, As Jeff mentioned we are simply offering a UL listed product to the US market that is now available to  the masses. Again in my opinion but great  for those here in the US! The margings are very  very small and we do it to share the true joy of this style with everyone whos interested!  I also agree that no one should buy an Oven based on a sales pitch. Previous posts by all may have sound a bit Bias on several fronts ..Thats the exact reason Ellie has set up a test kitchen and hopes to offer people the opportunity of cooking on possibly 3 different Mobile Neapolitan ovens in one place.Come play, pour oven the specs. and the #'s if thats important... If none of them suite your fancy you are not held hostage, but free to move on. No Problem at all,  We just want you happy! and will not Jam any oven down anyones throat or make any claims thats its the best or the only way to go ,,,, never. I do believe (opinion) we will see a great deal more of these Acunto ovens once they are in place and out there working. So lets be a little patient and enjoy the ride.

I was pretty sure you were focused on the Fixed ovens but  your  statement shows otherwise -
"I have personally contributed to the design and test of our mobile oven, so that  the required mass and insulation was provided for the specific performance I deemed necessary for my clients (as a pizza consultant) both in USA and UK."
I am not sure I have seen your Mobile oven ? could you please post a few pictures and specs of the FN Mobile Ovens you offer,  so we can just have a look ?
Thanks again !!
Your friend
John

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 03:35:37 AM »
I am planning to visit Naples withing the next few years as I think its a must at this time in my pizza Life  :) I would love to meet Yes! You know most everyone and everything about the area and ovens...
Marco please know I have absolutley nothing against your business, ovens, or extensive knowledge. Again just In my Opinion they look Fabulous. I have never cooked on them or even know where they may be found in the USA ? Another opinion is that we are all better off allies not enemies. This is a passion with a touch of business, As Jeff mentioned we are simply offering a UL listed product to the US market that is now available to  the masses. Again in my opinion but great  for those here in the US! The margings are very  very small and we do it to share the true joy of this style with everyone whos interested!  I also agree that no one should buy an Oven based on a sales pitch. Previous posts by all may have sound a bit Bias on several fronts ..Thats the exact reason Ellie has set up a test kitchen and hopes to offer people the opportunity of cooking on possibly 3 different Mobile Neapolitan ovens in one place.Come play, pour oven the specs. and the #'s if thats important... If none of them suite your fancy you are not held hostage, but free to move on. No Problem at all,  We just want you happy! and will not Jam any oven down anyones throat or make any claims thats its the best or the only way to go ,,,, never. I do believe (opinion) we will see a great deal more of these Acunto ovens once they are in place and out there working. So lets be a little patient and enjoy the ride.

I was pretty sure you were focused on the Fixed ovens but  your  statement shows otherwise -
"I have personally contributed to the design and test of our mobile oven, so that  the required mass and insulation was provided for the specific performance I deemed necessary for my clients (as a pizza consultant) both in USA and UK."
I am not sure I have seen your Mobile oven ? could you please post a few pictures and specs of the FN Mobile Ovens you offer,  so we can just have a look ?
Thanks again !!
Your friend
John

Please do let me know as soon as you finalise your travel plans when you will be in Naples and I will make every effort to meet you there.

I am not trying to make enemies of any kind, but I had to share my knowledge when I read your review of those ovens. Also you attributed ovens made by a third party using Acunto doors as Acunto so I wanted to clarify. What you are doing with this company seem very positive but professional and home use are two distinct things. The test kitchen is also a good idea, but without the right experience and skills, using different ovens in a test kitchen will not give enough indication of what it will be like during service hours. However, if the price structure was reflective of the traditional differences found in Naples, then it would make sense to offer the three options at very different price points.

My personal experience and formed opinion was strengthened by the feedback of a pizzamaker that made records output at two editions of the Pizzafest and participated at other events and demonstrations using many other ovens.

Not the place to start covering my company, but the majority of our ovens in USA are mobile, and I am sure pictures were previously posted on this site.  The ovens look like this at Massè http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20457.0and can be found amongst others at Bettola in Alabama, Pupatella (UL listed on site) and Pizzeria Orso in Virginia, Dough two branches and Pizaro's original location in Texas.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:59:05 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
Thanks Marco !!
I did see the thread on Masse Beautiful !! also Have seen many videos of Enzo at Pupatella putting out an amazing product! Its All good!
Thanks for the clarification on the Acunto doors. I believe I was told Keste was an Acunto but never asked Roberto, I have since seen the video of the build which is posted over in the Authentic thread. Now I am hungry just thinking about it and lookng at pictures... this early. I  must now go to see my friends at  Amano for lunch ! my closest real deal Neapolitan Pizzeria
Best !
John