Author Topic: stanislaus or escalon in SEATTLE?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
stanislaus or escalon in SEATTLE?
« on: March 10, 2006, 05:58:37 PM »
I'm getting desparate...does anyone know of a way to get Stanislaus or Escalon products locally in Seattle?  I've asked this before, but never as the title of a post, so please kindly ignore if this is the third time you've heard me ask this...I'm hoping someone else might see it who knows.

I tried to order today from Escalon, and realized that they don't ship the 6lb cans, but rather 1lb cans.  If the price was for 6lb cans, it would be comparable to what I pay currently for AngelaMia...but I'm not ready to pay that for 1/6 of the sauce I am currently getting.  AngelaMia isn't that bad...

Aside from Sysco and Food Services of America, I don't know of any distributors up here.  Once upon a time I lived in the Bay Area, and had all those products at my fingertips....arrghh!

If you do know of any place that carries, PLEASE let me know.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: stanislaus or escalon in SEATTLE?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »
I have had very good luck contacting both of these companies asking who sells their products in my area.   If you take the time to write or call I am sure they will help you.   Stanislaus was amazing on the phone spending over half an hour with me looking through shipping records to find the exact products I was looking for.  Escalon took a few days, but they did respond to my emails.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:38:18 PM »
Sysco and Food Service of America were the two distributors Escalon gave me when I talked to them.  Neither of these distributors will deal with me.

If I don't hear anything, I am going to follow Petezzza's example and explore my local Italian grocers.  I know of three in the Seattle area...unfortunately at the moment, they all appear to be importers...so I'm afraid they won't have either of these tomatoes.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:44:09 PM »
try calling stanislaus.  They really went out of their way to help me out even though I told them up front that I was not a pizzeria owner.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:54:35 AM »
I just recently started speaking with Escalon about the forum and was referred to someone with-in their company who may be able to help locate their retail products (small cans). I will be contacting him this week and will hopefully have some good news for you soon.

They are also interested in knowing how much on-line business is being generated from this site. So when communicating with them, if they don't ask how you were referred to them, please mention pizzamaking.com

Right now, the Bella Rossa fully prepared pizza sauce  in the 28 oz. cans, has show-up at my local Big Lots stores. If they have these stores in you area, I would check them ASAP.

Thank you
Lydia
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 05:40:20 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:50:59 PM »
For those of you Seattle-lites, I found a food distributor who is willing to deal with the public.  They don't have a store you can walk in, but they apparently will take orders for pickup or delivery (UPS).

The only carry Stanislaus, but its better than nothing.
Also, they have a nice selection of Grande cheese products...I haven't had Grande cheese, but after the way I've seen people talk about it, it must be a superior cheese.

http://www.petersoncheese.com/template.aspx?page=cstore

Offline ironcheflove

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 07:44:56 AM »
Did you check out the Pikes Place market right next to the fish place is an Italian market with quite the selection.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 12:12:37 AM »
Did you check out the Pikes Place market right next to the fish place is an Italian market with quite the selection.

Its funny you mention that.  I was down there with my parents (I would never go near the place on my own), and decided to check out that one Italian foods store they have down there...I thought, surely, this of all places will have it.  Not only did they have neither, but when I asked the young man behind the counter about Escalon tomatoes, he not only didn't know what it was, but pretty much blew off my inquiry as if I wouldn't know what a good tomato product was if it hit me on the face.

So, my last shopping experience there.  All they had were Muir Glen, and other common grocery store canned tomatos.  Nothing special.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 11:33:51 AM »
For those of you Seattle-lites, I found a food distributor who is willing to deal with the public.  They don't have a store you can walk in, but they apparently will take orders for pickup or delivery (UPS).

The only carry Stanislaus, but its better than nothing.
Also, they have a nice selection of Grande cheese products...I haven't had Grande cheese, but after the way I've seen people talk about it, it must be a superior cheese.

http://www.petersoncheese.com/template.aspx?page=cstore

Zipper,

Wow, thanks for the tip.  I drive by Auburn every day, usually before 5pm, so if you have any trouble making it to their shop during business hours PM me.  I'll be able to help out.

Jack
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:35:47 AM by Jack »

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 12:49:49 PM »
Jack, no problem.  Peterson is pretty amazing, huh?..and they are very nice too, which never hurts.  I just wish they carried Escalon (Stanislaus is great, but I'm a little burned out---never tried Escalon, which I hear is superior). I'm still looking around Seattle for a store that carries Escalon.  I have 3 or 4 28oz Tomato Magic cans left over from my original trip to Peterson, so I'm good for now.

Do you live in Seattle?  I might take you up on that if I can't find any Escalon otherwise.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 04:43:03 PM »
I work in Federal Way and live in Covington, near Maple Valley/Kent.   Auburn is right in the middle of my commute.  It's an easy stop and we can coordinate a weekend or evening meeting for a handoff, if you need my help.  Just let me know.

Jack

Offline mipizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 12:11:08 AM »
I am new to this forum, I continue to seek products in Seattle, and I hope this helps.

Try Pacific Food Importers (Big Johns PFI) at 1001 6th Ave S. level B Seattle,WA 98134 (206) 682-2022 for Stanislaus products. It is an interesting place, open to the public, and I have bought big cans of Full Red Pizza Sauce there on a few occasions for ~$5 a can.   

I have never seen Escalon in Seattle.  I am interested in trying Grande cheese from Peterson.  Any retail place for Grande in Seattle?

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 12:57:31 PM »
I am new to this forum, I continue to seek products in Seattle, and I hope this helps.

Try Pacific Food Importers (Big Johns PFI) at 1001 6th Ave S. level B Seattle,WA 98134 (206) 682-2022 for Stanislaus products. It is an interesting place, open to the public, and I have bought big cans of Full Red Pizza Sauce there on a few occasions for ~$5 a can.   

I have never seen Escalon in Seattle.  I am interested in trying Grande cheese from Peterson.  Any retail place for Grande in Seattle?

I don't know of any besides Peterson, but Peterson isn't all that difficult to deal with.  You put in your order the day before and then pick it up the next day.  Thanks for the information on Pacific Food Importers---is it a retail-type location?  In other words, can I go in and shop around, or do I need to make an pre-order and then just pickup?

Anyone have any luck finding King Arthur Sir Lancelot hi-gluten flour in Puget Sound?  I know Fred Meijer's carries regular King Arthur flour, which is a sign of hope I guess, but the couple I've seen didn't carry the hi-gluten stuff.

Offline mipizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 09:03:11 PM »
Big John's PFI is retail - open to anyone to walk in and look around.  They also have large bulk-spice and bulk-cheese selections. 

Costco Business Center in Lynnwood (not a standard Costco) and Cash & Carry in Bellevue carry high gluten flour in a large bags.  The Costco bag is 50lbs, in a non-descript brown sack, less than $10 the last time I purchased one, and a ConAgra product.  The Cash & Carry (there may be additional locations in the area) is labelled Pizza Flour - I have not purchased or closely examined the bag. 

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 12:40:34 AM »
Big John's PFI is retail - open to anyone to walk in and look around.  They also have large bulk-spice and bulk-cheese selections. 

Costco Business Center in Lynnwood (not a standard Costco) and Cash & Carry in Bellevue carry high gluten flour in a large bags.  The Costco bag is 50lbs, in a non-descript brown sack, less than $10 the last time I purchased one, and a ConAgra product.  The Cash & Carry (there may be additional locations in the area) is labelled Pizza Flour - I have not purchased or closely examined the bag. 

Mipizza, does Big John's carry Escalon/Stanislaus or KASL?
I am a weekly regular at the Cash & Carry in the Seattle Chinatown district, and bought a 50lb bag of Pendelton there.  I am nearing the end of my bag and want to get a 50lb of KASL for the next 6 months...and I am down to my last can of Stanislaus, so I defintely have to get something going on some more tomatos...but I am hoping to get some Escalon sooner or later, and would prefer to find it local rather than ship it.