Author Topic: Oven coil exploded!  (Read 905 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Oven coil exploded!
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »
I'm renting and the other day I just turned on my oven at 450 degrees to see it explode. Afterward smoke from electrical fire came out. I immediately turned it off and then unplugged it. I've been using the broiler method. I'm assuming this is the problem. Am I supposed to expect to buy a specific oven designed for pizza to keep this from happening?

Offline jkb

Re: Oven coil exploded!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 12:41:17 AM »
Call the landlord and have it fixed.  Things break eventually.  The oven won't let you set it to a temperature it wasn't designed to withstand.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
I had an element burn out ( can't recall if it burst into flames  - but a piece definitely fell off ) on a very high end electric oven within a few months of purchasing it.  I assume it was a manufacturing defect since the oven was set at around 350.   I don't think you had anything to do with it, have a new one installed.

Offline Zensojourner

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
I had an oven explode with lightning effects at the point where it was plugged into the wall not long ago when I was preheating it for pizza.  I FLIPPED THE BREAKER FIRST!!!!! Then unplugged it and called the maintenance man.  It was just old.  REALLY REALLY old - probably as old as the apartments, which were built sometime in the 70s.  It was that copper color that was popular back then.

The oven they replaced it with was way worse though.  Fortunately I've since moved and the new place has an acceptable stove.

Sometimes it just happens.  Just call the landlord - but I wouldn't suggest to him/her that you were doing anything other than normal baking when it happened.  Because even though I doubt you did anything to it to cause it to happen, it could SOUND like that if you're not careful ... just sayin' ...

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
I also had a broiler element go out with a loud bang!  Other than a bit of a fright and shards everywhere it was a simple activity for the repair guy to put a new one in.   This happened to me while I was renting and before I had started using the broiler method, so it may not be solely due to excessive use - could just be a fairly spontaneous event, nothing out of the ordinary for any oven.

Offline bucketweet

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
I have never had a problem with gas units. Is this an issue with electric stoves/ovens? Something to look out for. I've always had a gas unit.

Still new to this forum