Author Topic: Looking for Full Red Pizza Sauce (no basil) in PA  (Read 1047 times)

Offline gfgman

Looking for Full Red Pizza Sauce (no basil) in PA
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »
Hey.  Anybody ever find a place to order  Stanislaus Full Red pizza suace without basil?  I've been scouring the net and I'm not finding anything.  I found a whole place in York, PA, but it doesn't say that they sell to the public, and they don't specify which full red product they carry.  I don't know of any nearby cash and carry.  I've been to Bova once, but don't recall if they carry Stanislaus products in their cash and carry.

Offline David Rubien

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Looking for Full Red Pizza Sauce (no basil) in PA
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:18:09 AM »
Better to make your own sauce....

Offline rbengry

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
Restaurant Depot carries virtually all Stanislaus products, I recently purchased a case of Full Red Pizza Sauce (without basil). They sell individual #10 cans for $4.55 ea.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
I normally do make my own sauce, but the tomato product I use has changed quite a bit, and I don't like it as much.  I've not been satisfied with any other product I've tried.  6n1's were ok, but not really the flavor profile I was looking for out of the can.  The flavor of recent sauces hasn't really been what I'm looking for either.  I want to try some Stanislaus products and see what I get.  I've been want to stick to making a pizzeria quality pizza from grocery store ingredients, and I think I can pull that off.  I'm just not personally satisfied with the overall flavor.  I'm ready for a new challenge. 
I'll check out restaurant depot.  Thanks.

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
Just beware that the Full Red sauce is very thick and no where near the consistency of the 6-1's. The full red has a more tangy tomato flavor than the 6-1's.  At least that is the case with the basil added, i never tried the non basil variety.

If you are looking for something more comparable to the 6-1's but a slightly different flavor profile, you might be better off with the 7-11's from stanislaus. The  stanislaus Pizzaoilio sauce also has a thicker consistency but a better flavor profile (in my opinion).

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:06:27 PM »

Offline Coon88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
Have you tried the restaurant store? They have several locations in central pa and sell to the public.

www.therestaurantstore.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 05:41:54 AM »
Have you tried the restaurant store? They have several locations in central pa and sell to the public.

www.therestaurantstore.com

Coon,

I purchased things there and never saw any Full Red Pizza Sauce.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gfgman

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
I'll give it you straight up.  The restaurant store is awful.  Restaurant Depot is awesome, and I've never even been there. I'm just basing that on what other people have said, and also what I see on their website.  The restaurant store carries a lot of equipment, but not so much on the flour and sauce side. 
I bought a pizza paddle there recently, and had to buy a more expensive heavy one, because the one I really wanted was garbage.  The quality of many of the basic paddles was really poor.  A lot of them were warped, or the wood was wet, or both.  I have a 12 inch long handled one that appears to be either maple or maybe parawood.  It's very nice.  All of the larger sizes they had in that style appeared to be cheap pine.  I also find the store to be dark, and sometimes difficult to navigate, and their prices don't seem that great.

On the tomatoes, I think I wanted to originally try tomato magic, until I read the descriptions of the Stanislaus products.  Then I settled on the full red no basil.  I tried 6 in 1's once.  They were good for what they were.  The sauce I ended up with tasted very much like Hungry Howies, which is an American chain.  Their sauce is sweeter and less spiced than other chain pizza's.  It's a good sauce, but it's not a Jersey Shore pizza sauce.  So, 6 n 1's are out for me. 
Lately I've been using SM's straight from the can, with fresh basil, dried garlic, and chunks of fresh mozz.  That's a fantastic pie.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:52 AM »
At some point when I am traveling near a restaurant depot, I will sign up with them.  I have a PA business license, or tax ID.  It's not food related, but I think it will work. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »
I'll give it you straight up.  The restaurant store is awful.  Restaurant Depot is awesome, and I've never even been there. I'm just basing that on what other people have said, and also what I see on their website.  The restaurant store carries a lot of equipment, but not so much on the flour and sauce side. 
I bought a pizza paddle there recently, and had to buy a more expensive heavy one, because the one I really wanted was garbage.  The quality of many of the basic paddles was really poor.  A lot of them were warped, or the wood was wet, or both.  I have a 12 inch long handled one that appears to be either maple or maybe parawood.  It's very nice.  All of the larger sizes they had in that style appeared to be cheap pine.  I also find the store to be dark, and sometimes difficult to navigate, and their prices don't seem that great.

gfgman,

I don't think the http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ is that bad of a place to purchase peels.  None of my wooden peels were warped or wet when I purchased them.  I own a pizza business and do use all webstaurants wooden and metal peels in my business and at home.  Maybe they just had a batch of bad peels where you were there.  My one wooden thin peel from there lasted 4 years being used weekly.  I recently saw and purchased a can of the pizza sauce show below but I did not try it out yet.  It was only about 2.89 for a big can.  I use Stanislaus products at my pizza stand.

Norma

Offline gfgman

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »
I suppose it's not that bad of a store.  I've gotten quite a few things there.  I do find their prices to be high though.  The stone I got as a gift costs more than my previous stone, and it's a thinner stone.  Now maybe it's a different material, and therefore better, but I don't know.  As for the pizza peels, to my way of thinking, if I were the owner I would have called the manufacturer and said I can't sell these, I need to return them and get ones that are better quality.
I shouldn't call them awful because they do carry a lot of pizza equipment and supplies, and they are the only store around.  I'm personally frustrated that for pizza ingredients, they don't carry anything I want to buy, and Restaurant Depot does, but they are not close by.   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
I suppose it's not that bad of a store.  I've gotten quite a few things there.  I do find their prices to be high though.  The stone I got as a gift costs more than my previous stone, and it's a thinner stone.  Now maybe it's a different material, and therefore better, but I don't know.  As for the pizza peels, to my way of thinking, if I were the owner I would have called the manufacturer and said I can't sell these, I need to return them and get ones that are better quality.
I shouldn't call them awful because they do carry a lot of pizza equipment and supplies, and they are the only store around.  I'm personally frustrated that for pizza ingredients, they don't carry anything I want to buy, and Restaurant Depot does, but they are not close by.

gfgman,

I also agree your webstaurant store should have contacted the manufacturer about the defective peels they received.  I wish a Restaurant Depot was nearer to me too. 

I purchased my cordierite pizza stone from the webstaurant store back in 2010.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9909.msg86531#msg86531  I see they still carry the same pizza stone and the larger rectangular one.  I am happy with the cordierite stone.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »
gfgman, where are you located?

Offline gfgman

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
I am in Mechanicsburg.  We have family and friends in Bucks County, so I've gotten stuff from Bova in the past.  I know they carry Escalon products, but I'm not sure about Stanislaus.  I came across a distributor on York awhile back that carries Stanislaus products, but I didn't see anything about sales to the public.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
gfgman,

I also agree your webstaurant store should have contacted the manufacturer about the defective peels they received.  I wish a Restaurant Depot was nearer to me too. 

I purchased my cordierite pizza stone from the webstaurant store back in 2010.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9909.msg86531#msg86531  I see they still carry the same pizza stone and the larger rectangular one.  I am happy with the cordierite stone.

Norma

That stinks Norma.  Restaurant Depot is like Costco on steroids.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
That stinks Norma.  Restaurant Depot is like Costco on steroids.

Nate

Nate,

I know that stinks that I don't live near a Restaurant Depot.   :-D  I can purchase from my distributors, but not always what I would like to try.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
I am in Mechanicsburg.  We have family and friends in Bucks County, so I've gotten stuff from Bova in the past.  I know they carry Escalon products, but I'm not sure about Stanislaus.  I came across a distributor on York awhile back that carries Stanislaus products, but I didn't see anything about sales to the public.

It's a bit of a haul from M-burg but there's a cash and carry in Reading that has some stanislaus products, including full and 7/11s.  Salinos
http://www.zgdesigns.net/salinosimporting/wholesale.aspred   

pizzapan