Author Topic: Looking for the " best " NY style pizza sauce ingredient  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Demce

• I Love Pizza!
Looking for the " best " NY style pizza sauce ingredient
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
I am looking for something that has the best freshness pop to it , sweet , and that awesome basil taste as well . Anyone know where i can get a list of ingredients and measurements ? I am able to get my hands on ANY brand so i am looking for the best quality brands  ;D Thank you ! 

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Looking for the " best " NY style pizza sauce ingredient
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
7/11.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
Demce,

Since you are in NJ, may I suggest that you try either Sclafani crushed tomatoes or Jersey Fresh crushed tomatoes?  Both should be available at ShopRite.  Another member had suggested the Sclafani tomatoes to me and they've been my go to tomato product for pizza and pasta/meatballs.  They taste great right out of the can!  Let us know how you do.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 12:09:53 PM »
Now that I know you're talking about a pizzeria setting, I want to elaborate a little.

7/11 is great and EASY--no processing necessary, nor blending with other tomato products--but you will have to add the basil taste you seek, along with other flavors you seek. I've used several cans of 7/11 at home, mostly without adding anything to it for NY style, and I've also had a couple slices of member waltertore's pizza, which uses 7/11 for sauce.

First let me tell you that Walter's pizza is awesome. It was everything I hope to get when I buy a slice in NY or NJ, including simple. Cheese pizza with a very simple sauce that has just the right balance of flavoring to make a great tomato product taste even better on a pizza. I've never been a fan of oregano, but Walter's sauce had just enough oregano that I thought I could tell it was there, and I liked that. (In fact, I had to ask him if there was oregano, which I must have done somewhere on these boards.) I think he may also use some basil and garlic, too. (Definitely pieces of fresh basil on top. Not sure if it's also in the sauce.) But one thing is certain: He keeps his pizza simple, and it works.

You should start another thread somewhere (Shop Talk, maybe) and kinda let us all know a little about your situation. From what little you said in your recent post in the NY style section, it's now obvious to me that you own (or run) a pizzeria, but it sounds like you're pretty new at making pizza. I don't know if you feel awkward letting us know about your circumstances, but you shouldn't. You're obviously looking for a little help with some things that play a big role in the smooth operation of your life. The more you reveal about yourself and the operations of your pizzeria, the more good help you will receive from members.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
I am looking for something that has the best freshness pop to it , sweet , and that awesome basil taste as well . Anyone know where i can get a list of ingredients and measurements ? I am able to get my hands on ANY brand so i am looking for the best quality brands  ;D Thank you !

This subject is so subjective I almost refrain from saying anything.  IMO, and that is about all it is worth, I use 7/11 tomatoes.  They are crushed with the skins on but have no basil added.  I prefer to add fresh basil to the pie after it is done.  Our sauce has some DOP romano pecorine grated into it, a tad of EVOO, a bit of crushed fresh garlic, and a sprinkle of dried oregano.  We make 3- 5 gallon batches at a time.  I was raised in the NJ pizza world and the sauce I make is what I like the best.  I aim to please no one but myself first.  If I like it then that is what we serve to customers.  If they don't like it they can go elsewhere.  Experiment with things and you will find your sweet spot :)  Walter

PS:  I bought a case of the Sclafani crushed tomatoes.  Being from Jersey and having grown tomatoes each summer, I was real excited to try them and figured they would claim the title.   I love the NJ flavor but these tomatoes did not grab me as much as the 7/11's. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:54:27 PM by waltertore »

Offline Demce

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
Yes I am working in a pizzeria industry and I am not happy with the cheese pizza at all. I have ground 7/11 tomatoes in #10 cans . I was wondering to use just them with my touch of spices or should I also mix in a whole peeled tomato product with it as well ?

I made a small sample size using jersey fresh ground tomatoes I found in the super market. I added fresh basil , garlic , slight salt n sugar to it and a little water To smooth it out a bit and it came out good without using any other tomato product.  Just would like some solid good advice. 

scott123

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »
Demce,

Best Tomatoes

Sclafani, 7/11s and Tomato Magic are all great tomatoes. The California tomatoes (7/11, tomato magic) are going to be a bit different, and, if you grew up eating NY style pizza, these will be a bit more familiar to you.  The NJ tomatoes are sweeter and more robust, but the California tomatoes are a bit more acidic.  The Sclafani's don't always need sugar, but the Californians almost always do.

Less is way more

Any ingredient you add to pizza sauce should be there to augment the (hopefully) great tasting tomato.  Nothing should be used in quantities that stand out.  Garlic is really great in sauce, but you never want to use enough garlic that it overshadows the tomato, and, since fresh garlic is so potent, this means an extremely small quantity. Fresh basil can get pretty potent as well, and if you're not careful, you'll have pesto.  Pizza sauce is exponentially better with a tiny amount of fresh garlic and fresh basil, but if you push the quantities, sauce can easily get exponentially worse.

Sugar

Sugar is generally a given, but be careful.  Pizza sauce is a type of sweet and sour sauce. The magic all hinges on that perfect balance between sour and sweet.  Too much sugar, and the brightness, the freshness, is gone, too little and the acidic punch of the tomatoes clashes with the rest of the pie. Adding sugar to tomatoes is probably going to be one of the most difficult things you do as a pizzeria owner.  Being a natural product, no can of tomatoes will have the same level of sweetness as the next- so you're constantly going to have to taste and tweak to maintain a consistent flavor

Basil

It looks like you're using fresh basil now. Great. Never be tempted to use dried.  Certain herbs change dramatically when dried (such as ginger). Drying completely ruins the taste of basil.

Traditional Ingredients

I can't speak for any areas outside of NY, but if you value your life, don't mess with a New Jerseyan's pizza sauce.  If you peruse through these pages, you're going to find a lot of wacky additions.  Don't go there.  If it's not part of this discussion, it doesn't belong on NY style pizza.

Oregano

I see you omitted oregano on your test batch.  If you're sprinkling oregano on the pie, that's fine to omit it from the sauce, but if you're not, there's no more critical ingredient to sauce than oregano.  Like garlic and basil, though, oregano packs a punch, making it incredibly easy to overdo, so keep the quantities minimal.

Other than tomatoes, salt and sugar, if in doubt about a quantity, just omit the ingredient. It's better to use none than too much.  Some of the best pizzerias in history have based their success on great tomatoes with a little sugar and salt. While I think it's possible to take a great tomato and make it even better, it takes an incredibly cautious hand.

Offline drummerchef

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
I was looking at some videos on youtube today and Tony Gemignani said that some people like to add baking soda as well as sugar to help cut acidity in tomato sauces. Also, Bonta and full red are very big in the NJ/NY market and many pizzarias mix various tomato products as well.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »
I was looking at some videos on youtube today and Tony Gemignani said that some people like to add baking soda as well as sugar to help cut acidity in tomato sauces. Also, Bonta and full red are very big in the NJ/NY market and many pizzarias mix various tomato products as well.

My mom used to add baking soda to her pizza sauce when I was a kid.  After lots of trial and error, she discovered that she was using wayyyyyyy too much of it and was left with a very bland sauce. I don't believe any sauce should be that acidic to have to resort to using baking soda.  If you want to experiment, please use it with caution.  Just my two cents after enduring yucky, bland pizza sauce for years  >:D
Mary Ann

Offline stupidhaiku

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
Just wanted to add that America's test kitchen did a test with adding baking soda to tomatoes and found the results very bland.  Tomatoes are SUPPOSED to be acidic and I've never tasted one that needed its acidity tempered.  Rather than baking soda, experiment with adding acids (I like fresh lemon juice but many swear by red wine vinegar), sugar, and salt.  Once you know how to balance those three anything else will be gravy.  Good luck!
-Mike (one of them, anyway)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
The YouTube Video clip by Chef John adds baking soda at the end, but only a very small amount. However, he might add more ingredients than you want to use, but it is worth the watch.

Best to you.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.msg290118.html#msg290118

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
I also like the sauce recipe by Peter Reinhart at times. Again, this might be more ingredients than you want, but it is a tasty sauce. Worth trying at least once.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.msg242143.html#msg242143

pizzapan