Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 3432 times)

Pizzacko

Cheese
« on: March 23, 2004, 04:38:10 PM »
Hey, does it really matter which brand the cheese you use is from? I used this one called Armstrong and it tastes sooooo bad on the pizza. Can you post some of the best cheese brands to put on pizza.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 04:38:32 PM by Pizzacko »

Offline ojuice

Re:Cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 05:08:22 PM »
I like to use the Mozzarella that Figaro puts out, it's rather cheap and comes in what I'd call medium sized amounts.  There's quite a few brands of whole milk mozzarella in upper scale grocery stores (these generally come in small tubs filled with water and the cheese) which are really good on pizza although you really need to mix it with some part skim moz. cheese if you use a lot (the whey likes to seep out and can make the dough soggy).  Other than that all I can suggest is staying away from already grated cheeses like what Kraft puts out since they use cellulose powder to keep the cheese from sticking.

p.s. most of this info. was found here on the forums
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS d s+: a-- C++++ UB+ P+ L+++ E--- W++
N+  Y+ PGP++ t+ 5-- X+++ tv+ b++ D+ e++ h+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 05:15:16 PM »
The brands of cheese you have in your area is probably much different than mine other than Kraft. As Different areas of the country are supplied with different cheeses.
I have never seen Armstrong myself.

I fortunately live next door to the cheesehead state and get very high quality cheeses of all kind.

Like many on the forum I often use a blend of cheeses like provalone, mozzerella, fontina, jack,chedder. Try different mixtures mozzerella and provalone probably one of the more common.

As for the type I like to try different brands of block cheeses you can usually find some fresher cheeses this way and I am not talking about big name brand companys. It is worth an extra buck or two for the better cheese. :D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 06:29:17 PM »
Actually, one of my gourmet cooking magazines recently taste-tested various brands of mozzarella cheese. Kraft part-skim low-moisture shredded cheese ranked very high on their list.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline svapne

• Pepe's fanatic...
    • DreamCycle Studios
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 09:23:56 PM »
I have been using Calabro whole milk mozzarella and I love it...

http://www.calabrocheese.com/

You could always make your own too, it is really easy:

http://www.cheesemaking.com/product_info-cPath-22-products_id-34.php
http://www.leeners.com/mozzarella.html

enjoy
-Scott
::41554D::

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 08:46:24 AM »
Don't get me wrong about the better cheeses I have used and do like Kraft I just find that when using some of the smaller company cheeses you get to taste some flavour variences that are not there in the name brands.Because of the mass production.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 12:30:29 PM »
Poly-O part skim mozzarella is my choice.  
Kraft pre-shredded cheese turns gray and ugly after cooking because of the cellulose added to prevent sticking.  Never tried the whole.
If you prefer a stronger flavor then go whole milk cheese.  
Much stronger is water buffalo mozzarella.

Myself, I prefer a very mild flavor mozzarella but a bit of provolone added is not without merit..

Randy
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:37:50 PM by Randy »

Pizzacko

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 10:19:58 PM »
Does any of these cheese have the wonderful strechyness that always looks good on Pizza?

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 07:37:42 AM »
The key to "stretchiness" is not to overcook it. You want the cheese just melted.

For a NY style pizza, where the cheese goes on top, you should add the cheese a few minutes before it comes out of the oven. For Chicago style pizza, where the cheese goes on the bottom, it won't overcook and will be OK.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 08:13:36 AM »
Kraft pre-shreadded will not.

Offline mama mia

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 11:59:32 AM »
I love "stella" 5lb  from Sams wholesale, it is great....

edit: mozzarela cheese
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 11:59:57 AM by mama mia »

Offline Big Al

• I'm a Pizza Fox
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 12:52:41 PM »
This is a "cheesey" question.
It depends on the mood I am in, but the best Cheese results I have found include about :

1.  15% Provolone (Very Stretchy when heated) and 10% Asiago, and 75% Mozzarella.
Or you could use:
2.  25% provolone, and 75% Mozzarella.
3.  Or Use what many use, 100% mozzarella.  I use this portion when I am in a hurry and not feeling very creative.  Hey it works.

For Chicago Deep dish I always use the sliced provolone 25% / 75 % sliced Mozzarella mixture.  Then top it off with Parmesian cheese.

If you want to "freak" your guests out adjust the Provolone upward so when they eat the pizza it will be so stretchy it will leave strings hanging off their chin after they bite some off.  Pizza eating should be as fun as the making.

Big Al

(http://)

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 07:37:44 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion on a cheese that is available at WalMart called Cacique (I think), it is mozzerella and comes in a ball. It is with some of the Mexican fare in the coolers?
Pizzaholic

pizzapan