Author Topic: Garlic Knots  (Read 24982 times)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Garlic Knots
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
Sounds Like a winner Pizzoid
JC
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »
Hey John,

those garlic knots look amazing, just amazing.  I just showed my wife the pictures.  wow.

I was looking at your knots, something tells me you are a professional or something, they look too perfect !  >:D

Bill's look amazing also, I'm glad he included the beginning steps, as it gives me a good starting point.  Thanks to you Bill
for sharing your technique and photos with us, it's greatly appreciated.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »
Thank you Canadian Bacon
I appreciate the kind words but I am so far from professional its not funny. I am in the construction / heavy highway business (Hence the oven build) theres really no chef here, although I do have the jacket and funny hat :chef: (for kicks only) just a love of cooking I guess.  Its monkey see money do and if it does not come out right do again! I simply read bill/sfnm posts and went at it. He is one of the true  pro's on this forum just look at his wonderful foods he puts up and so much more than pizza. I am a wanna be. But we all love pizza!
So you gotta try to make the knots now too? I will gladly help anyone with whatever little I can.
John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 02:21:51 AM »
I simply read bill/sfnm posts and went at it. He is one of the true  pro's on this forum just look at his wonderful foods he puts up and so much more than pizza. I am a wanna be. But we all love pizza!

John,

Thanks for your kind words here and elsewhere. For the record, I am NOT a "pro" - never have been, never will be. Just a guy who loves to cook - especially pizza!

Bill/SFNM

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
Can someone please provide a fail-proof garlic knot recipe with comprehensive steps? I attempted to make the knots over Thanksgiving, but they didn't turn out nearly as beautiful as the ones here. Hoping with a little more direction, I'll be able to pull of a delicious and aesthetically pleasing knot for Christmas eve. :P

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
These sounded good, so I made a batch this weekend.  They came out OK, but I was hampered by not being in my own kitchen.  Next time, though.....

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
Can Bill or John possibly share the dough recipe used for these.  These knots look to die for.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
Can Bill or John possibly share the dough recipe used for these.  These knots look to die for.

Nate,

Did you see reply #8 in this thread. Regardless, I'd go with John's recipe. His look much better than mine.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
Thanks bill.  I will try out your dough formulation and try out johns glazing method.

Nate

Offline pythonic

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »
Bill,

Did u cold/room ferment the dough for these?

Nate

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
Bill,

Did u cold/room ferment the dough for these?

Nate

Bad news: I have little recollection of anything that happened 6 years ago.  ???
Good news: I never cold ferment. I'll only stick something in the refrigerator if it is done fermenting, but I'm not ready to shape it.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
Thank you Canadian Bacon
I appreciate the kind words but I am so far from professional its not funny. I am in the construction / heavy highway business (Hence the oven build) theres really no chef here, although I do have the jacket and funny hat :chef: (for kicks only) just a love of cooking I guess.  Its monkey see money do and if it does not come out right do again! I simply read bill/sfnm posts and went at it. He is one of the true  pro's on this forum just look at his wonderful foods he puts up and so much more than pizza. I am a wanna be. But we all love pizza!
So you gotta try to make the knots now too? I will gladly help anyone with whatever little I can.
John

Nice Pics John
I just bought a Grinder for the garlic and olive oil and  cheese on top
I have to get around doing the garlic knots one day soon.
I am sure it will be worth it instead of buying it local and saving lots of money since
it looks cheaper to make.....JT

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
I had to try these out after seeing this thread. Made with butter (8%) and some dried minced garlic in the dough. Dusted with pecorino post-bake.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
NOPE
I make 6 - 8  out of a small 11oz dough ball
Grind Good Olive oil and Garlic and little black pepper and onto hot knots(NO BUTTER}
Then add Romano cheese on knots while hot and let cool for 30 mins.......

Cannot beat these and better then spending money at a Italian place
that sell them......Didnot think they were as easy as they were............JT

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
I will try to remember what recipe are you used? I know was a New York style from one pf the books I had back then. Also I rolled dough out to certainthickness and sliced the pieces, then tied the knots. Remember to leave a little more tail\ends than you think as they shrink up as they cook have fun!
John

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
  • Quest for a great dough! I found it, I found it!!
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
I have some leftover pizza dough sitting in the fridge, what to do what to do. Stumbled across garlic knots here and wondering if I should proof the dough on the counter 1st for a couple of hours, roll, cut then form the knots, or roll the cold dough, cut, form and then proof on the counter then pop them in the oven. Using an emergency type dough same day that's been sitting in the fridge for 24 hrs. tks
Carl

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
These were really good: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17511.0.html

Nice recipe for leftover dough, def looks inviting. Don't have buf moz and need to stay clear from another pizza day. My wife is getting a bit fed up with my pizzza dough experiments and eating pizzas. lol. Me, i can eat pizza every day.
Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »
Don't have buf moz

Stuff them with whatever you have. Who cares what it is. It will be good.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »
Stuff them with whatever you have. Who cares what it is. It will be good.

wondering if I should proof the dough on the counter 1st for a couple of hours, roll, cut then form , or roll the cold dough, cut, form and then proof on the counter stuff then pop them in the oven
Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to warm it up some, but if it's fully fermented, you can go with it as is.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
Carl,

There are many uses for leftover dough balls.  I used to make garlic knots, and other things from frozen doughs, or doughs that might have fermented too much, or from regular doughs balls.  I showed what I did for garlic knots at Reply 442 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg98110.html#msg98110 

Norma

Offline carl333

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »
Carl,

There are many uses for leftover dough balls.  I used to make garlic knots, and other things from frozen doughs, or doughs that might have fermented too much, or from regular doughs balls.  I showed what I did for garlic knots at Reply 442 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg98110.html#msg98110 

Norma

Hello Norma, Tks for the reply and your ideas on leftover dough.  I did make some knots today and they looked very muck like yours. I have read many of your posts on your trials, tribulations and pizza experiments. I see the link you sent me to was actually started for a preferment for Lehmann NY style... That was some time back. Are you currently using commercial yeasts or starters in your market pizza?  I know you went through an enormous learning curve and just wondering what you have finally settled upon. Happy NY!
Carl

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »
Hello Norma, Tks for the reply and your ideas on leftover dough.  I did make some knots today and they looked very muck like yours. I have read many of your posts on your trials, tribulations and pizza experiments. I see the link you sent me to was actually started for a preferment for Lehmann NY style... That was some time back. Are you currently using commercial yeasts or starters in your market pizza?  I know you went through an enormous learning curve and just wondering what you have finally settled upon. Happy NY!

Carl,

Good to hear your garlic knots turned out well!  8) I am using IDY in my current boardwalk and Detroit style doughs, and doing a one day cold ferment for both doughs.  I really liked the preferment Lehmann dough and the pizzas resulting from them, but my customers did not seem to notice a better flavor in the crust.  Also I became busier at market, and think now I would have a hard time judging how much preferment to make on a Friday to incorporate into the final dough batches on Mondays.  The other problem with using a preferment made on a Friday, is if weather (snow) might be bad on a Monday or Tuesday, there might be too many leftover dough balls.  Since I am only a one day a week pizza stand it is hard what to decide to do in the varying temperatures at market.

Happy New Year to you too!

Norma

Offline pythonic

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2015, 02:01:31 AM »
Whipped up a batch of these today.  My shape technique sucks but they were delicious.

pizzapan