Author Topic: Is Your Olive Oil Lying About Its Virginity?  (Read 790 times)

Offline Smokey Dough

• I Love Pizza!
Is Your Olive Oil Lying About Its Virginity?
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
I have been learning from this site for quite some time now and I'm humbled by the experience of everyone.  I have not seen any reference to this topic and thought it would make for some interesting discussion.  I have noticed that most here use the names that are mentioned in the 'real' olive oil list.

It basically explains that Extra Virgin Olive Oil may not be a virgin because it is mixed with other oils. 

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/11/is-your-olive-oil-lying-about-its.html

Any thoughts?

Tom

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Is Your Olive Oil Lying About Its Virginity?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
Tom,

here is a definition I found.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil  What is Extra Virgin Olive Oil? .
(http://3-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.oliveoiltimes.com/c1.oliveoiltim.es/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/175x557xMarques-de-Valdueza1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.U0SsAK10zl.jpg)Extra virgin is the highest quality and most expensive olive oil classification. It should have no defects and a flavor of fresh olives.

RELATED ARTICLES   Search Olive Oil Times  In chemical terms extra virgin olive oil is described as having a free acidity, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 0.8 grams per 100 grams and a peroxide value of less than 20 milliequivalent O2. It must be produced entirely by mechanical means without the use of any solvents, and under temperatures that will not degrade the oil (less than 86°F, 30°C).
In order for an oil to qualify as “extra virgin” the oil must also pass both an official chemical test in a laboratory and a sensory evaluation by a trained tasting panel recognized by the International Olive Council.  The olive oil must be found to be free from defects while exhibiting some fruitiness.
Since extra virgin olive oil is simply pressed fruit juice without additives, the factors influencing its quality and taste include the varieties of olives used, the terroir and the countless decisions, production practices and the dedication of the producer.
Olive oil tasters describe the positive attributes using the following terms:

• Fruity: Having pleasant spicy fruit flavors characteristic of fresh ripe or green olives. Ripe fruit yields oils that are milder, aromatic, buttery, and floral. Green fruit yields oils that are grassy, herbaceous, bitter, and pungent. Fruitiness also varies by the variety of olive.
  • Bitter: Creating a mostly pleasant acrid flavor sensation on the tongue.
  • Pungent: Creating a peppery sensation in the mouth and throat
mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »
I gotta tell ya...for someone who goes through 1000s of gallons of EVOO, I must admit there are some aspects i just don't get.  Perhaps I'm a bit confused by contradictory info that I've read.

As far as EVOO, I've read that extra virgin is dictated by its acidity.  I read that  first cold press is simply the crushing of olives under weight and gathering up the resulting oils.  Now I realize that these are two distinct characteristics.  I've also read that a peppery bite is a good thing.....how is that possible if the acidity is low??  I've also read that sometimes, the dark rich green color i love so much is the result of olive leaves left in the oil...giving off a green color......

In a nutshell, I always look for FIRST COLD PRESS.  I always want my best oil to have the pronounced FLAVOR of olives.  That's where I run into problems.....because I've tasted extremely expensive and well regarded oil that has no olive flavor what so ever!!  I don't have a great mouth for fine wines.  I grew up on mostly homemade wines, so I just never got into them.  I've tasted really expensive wines that tasted great, but also cheap wines I've liked.....I'm no wine expert.  But, olive oil......I've been raised on it.  But, it can still be confusing to me. 

For the money, the best taste and color, IMO, comes from a Spanish brand called Goya. I've had better, but they have cost a ton more.  I simple dont understand paying  an arm and a leg for oil that lacks olive taste....but there must be a reason these oils are so well regarded.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:49:36 AM by gabaghool »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »

Spanish brand called Goya.

Thanks, I will look for it. I love trying new brands!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »
I've read that Chilean olive oils are the best that you can get these days.  The Italians have the "olive oil culture" while the Chileans have the highest quality standards.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »
I heard Popeye had the same problem!  :-D :-D :-D
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »
We had been buying our EVOO from Costco but I felt it was going south before we could use it all.  So I bought a smaller bottle from the market.   Pompeian is the brand.  It fits the suspect profile to a T. Imported blend from half a dozen countries.   So I did the freezer test.  It failed.  I bought a California brand that passed the freezer test. 

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 04:17:29 AM »
Goya...and other inexpensive brands

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/09/taste-test-cheap-best-olive-oils.html

There's a conflict with this list of recommended cheap oils vs the first article that identifies Whole Foods store brand as one that failed their testing.  Also my freezer test failed the Pompeian brand that the article says the UC tests confirmed it as EVOO.  Possibly there are more things going on within brands that are not consistent.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:32:49 AM by bbqchuck »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
We had been buying our EVOO from Costco but I felt it was going south before we could use it all.  So I bought a smaller bottle from the market.   Pompeian is the brand.  It fits the suspect profile to a T. Imported blend from half a dozen countries.   So I did the freezer test.  It failed.  I bought a California brand that passed the freezer test.

Chuck,

I buy olive oils from California Olive Ranch and, as a result, I am on their mailing list and receive articles, recipes and other items from them via email. One of the articles that I received said that the freeze test was not reliable. I did a search this morning and found this article: http://consumers.californiaoliveranch.com/2013/10/22/top-5-olive-oil-myths-no-1-dont-trust-the-fridge-test/. You will note that the article includes a link to a test report that discusses the results of the tests they conducted.

Peter

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
The "peppery bite" is due to the phenolic compounds in the oil, not acidity. It's a good thing!  :drool:

http://www.agbiolab.com/files/agbiolab_Polyphenols.pdf

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
As has been observed above in this thread, you have to be a very smart consumer when choosing olive oils. There are lots of oils on the market that appear to be Italian or Spanish but in reality are made up of a blend of cheap oils from other countries.  It doesn't mean the oil is no good, but be aware of where the oil actually comes from, not just what country it was packed in. 

We use quite a lot of olive oil at our house so I am always looking for good deals on high quality oils. My favorite origin for olive oil at present come from Lebanon.  One brand is called Saifan, packed by Said Saifan in Amyoun Koura, Lebanon.  The other is called Mid East El-Koura Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Imported by Kradjian Importing Co., Glendale CA.  Both of these are sold in 3 liter glass bottles. They are both very nice quality and relatively affordable. They typically sell for about $20-23 for 3 liters.  The flavor of these oils is quite good, with that typical green flavor and the small "catch" in the throat that tells you it has lots of the stuff that keeps you healthy.  These are everyday working oils, not the super rare type oils that you will pay $30 for just a small bottle.  I buy these at Wholesome Choice market in Irvine, CA, but I imagine these or similar brands are available in many stores that specialize in Middle Eastern foods.  For me the quality of the Lebanese oil is much higher than most comparably priced Italian or Spanish oils. 

I've also had good luck with Greek olive oils.  You can get some really nice quality Greek oils for not to much money, especially those coming from Crete. I don't remember specific brands at the moment though.   

Finally, Trader Joe's sells a Spanish olive oil under their own brand that costs about $8 for a liter, and it's a very nice oil for the money. 

Best regards

TinRoof

pizzapan