Author Topic: LG electric range with Infrared broiler  (Read 675 times)

Offline DaveInWesterville

LG electric range with Infrared broiler
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »
I saw this range  (model LDE3037ST) at Home Depot over the weekend.

The salesman said that a lot of people are making pizza with this IR broiler, a fact that he offered without any inquiry on my part.

Does anyone have any knowledge about ranges with IR broilers such as this (if any others exist)?

Does LG make good products?

Thanks

Dave

Offline caymus

Re: LG electric range with Infrared broiler
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
I don't know about the broiler, but did they indicate the top operating temperature of the oven?  On older units, I could just look at the dials to determine it.  I find that sales people don't know if it is 500 or 550F

Thanks

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:49:50 AM »
If I recall correctly, the maximum temperature is 550.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:08 AM »
I'm probably not going to be getting my pizza baking advice from the guy at Home Depot any time soon...

Why don't you call LG and ask them what temperature you get under the boiler. I've seen other ovens with IR broilers that make some impressive sounding temperature claims.

Their website is pretty vague about it. I thought this picture was telling with respect to LG's overall cooking savvy however - they are promoting the value of the IR broiler by showing a picture of baking cakes? You probably won't see Wolf make a mistake like that.
Pizza is not bread.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
I'm probably not going to be getting my pizza baking advice from the guy at Home Depot any time soon...

Nor I, he didn't seem as if he had ever made any pizza.

What I found interesting  was that this technology is now starting to be available in mainstream products instead of only high end products like Wolf (assuming this technology is available in Wolf products).

The oven can be set to 550, but the broiler is effectively much hotter since heat transfer is by radiation instead of convection.  LG claims a 20% improvement in heat up time over conventional broilers, and I would hope this would be a useful improvement in making pizza.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »
LG claims a 20% improvement in heat up time over conventional broilers, and I would hope this would be a useful improvement in making pizza.

I don't think you can make that jump without more information. It may simply be that the IR broiler gets hot faster.
Pizza is not bread.