Author Topic: When to crush tomato in mixer  (Read 591 times)

Offline biren

• I Love Pizza!
When to crush tomato in mixer
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »
I am experimenting with pizza sauce and have this stupid question.  Do the flavor of pizza sauce will changes if
1. Cook uncrushed tomato first and then make a paste?
2. Crush tomato first and then cook them?

I will be cooking tomato with herbs and skin peeled.

Thanks for help.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: When to crush tomato in mixer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
Biren, welcome to the forum. I believe you will find that most active members here do not cook their tomatoes for pizza sauce. Therefore the specific answer to your question re pizza sauce is a mute point. On the other hand, many probably do cook to some degree tomatoes for pasta sauce, I do. I general hand crush before cooking , I would think you may get a more uniform heating of the product as oposed to cooking before crushing.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
mute point

Moot point  >:D

Biren, what mkevenson mentioned is correct, most forum members take canned whole tomatoes and run them through a food mill, then apply straight to the pie. 

Are you asking about canned tomatoes?  Canned tomatoes are cooked in the canning process.  Making pasta sauce from these usually means recooking them. 

Anyways, in either case my guess is that crushing them before cooking will let the herbs flavor meld more throughout the sauce.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
Moot point  >:D

"moot" point well taken. I have seen the error of my ways

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »
You begin changing the flavor at temps near boiling, 200+ degrees.  Keep your sauce below this for pizza, and above this for spaghetti.

Offline biren

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 03:01:14 AM »
Thanks guy for your inputs. I am planning to experiment with fresh tomatoes so correct me if i am wrong here. Fresh tomatoes (uncooked) if otherwise used directly on the pizza won't have that raw flavor of tomatoes?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
Thanks guy for your inputs. I am planning to experiment with fresh tomatoes so correct me if i am wrong here. Fresh tomatoes (uncooked) if otherwise used directly on the pizza won't have that raw flavor of tomatoes?

Biren, I think that raw tomatoes will taste like raw tomatoes. If you blanch them to remove the skins, they probably will be closer to the canned tomatoes most of us use. I have never used raw tomatoes for my sauce, I am sure some members have and hopefully they will chime in.

Mark

Offline misterschu

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
I haven't used raw tomatoes recently. I used them pretty much exclusively when I used to cook on a stone in an electric oven at 550F.  I was making neapolitan-style pies, that were cooking for 5-7 minutes.  I preferred heirlooms to romas.  The liquid would be boiling by the time it came out of the oven, and tasted great.  In fact I preferred it to sauce made from canned tomatoes.  I don't recall it tasting raw, but then again I love a good raw heirloom.

I'm planning on cooking pizza tonight, hoping for sub-90 second bakes, and planning to use fresh heirlooms as the topping.  I will report back after.