Author Topic: I was shocked today once again  (Read 1619 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
I was shocked today once again
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
I had to meet with my assistant principal for part of my yearly evaluation.  On her desk was a Christy's pizza box.  I asked to look at the pie.  It was leftover pieces of pep, sausage, and cheese, pies.  I couldn't comprehend people eating such stuff.  The dough was dense, about 1/2" all the way through (obviously a dough roller), the cheese looked sick, and the meats not eatable.  The school bought these for some kids today.  They didn't even contact us.  Our prices are cheaper and our pies larger, and the quality is not even comparable.  This pizza looked like a $3 walmart frozen food isle pizza.   I can't believe people eat such stuff and call it pizza.  We sold 40 pies today and the number keeps growing so I don't need the business.  It just amazes me that we have a top quality NY style pie right on campus and they order this stuff out.   Anyway, I guess whatever you are raised on is the real deal.  Walter

this is a link to their pies.  The photos are bad looking pies but compared to the real thing, it was shocking.   I am glad it is Friday. 
http://www.cristyspizza.com/menu-page.php?type=Pizzas

Offline misterschu

Re: I was shocked today once again
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
It's crazy that you weren't contacted for this. Shouldn't the assistant principal be supporting the students by supporting your work with them?

scott123

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
New York Style Pizza

A big taste inspired by the Big Apple. Triangle-cut slices with your choice of toppings atop provolone cheese will have you saying, “Fuggetaboutit” to any other choice

Ouch, it hurts just to look at that.  Walter, I feel your pain.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
I tell you guys it never ceases to amaze me what people out here consider good food.  Our school and the school district is in general very supportive of my program.   It is simply they have been following these Christy type pizza(and food in general) buys for decades. For those of you that live in good food country understanding this stuff is not possible.  I never would have until moving here.   I was raised  less than 10 miles from NYC, and spent the rest of my years to date (minus the last 7 here) living in SF, Sonoma County CA, Austin TX, and Brussels Belguim.   My taste buds could get all out of wack here :-D  Walter
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:11:27 PM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
It's crazy that you weren't contacted for this. Shouldn't the assistant principal be supporting the students by supporting your work with them?

this question perplexes me all the time.  Here in OH we have The Dept of Developmental Disabilities.  It is a state agency the serves the Mentally Retarded(the medical definition for my students that society keeps changing the label every few years to try and make it sound like it is a nice thing so they don't have to really address it)  from birth to death.  My students are clients.  They have yet to use us for any of their meetings, seminars, etc.  I know these people and ask why and they respond - we will be using you.  Still no orders.........  Our food is better, cheaper, and made by the people they serve.  I was also on the Board of Directors for another big agency here that serves my students.  They have a bi monthly after school program for my students.  It is right here at our high school.  They have only used  us once.  They come in with boxes of Little Ceasars pizza.  I am not meaning to brag, but our pizza and baked goods can stand on their own in the NYCarea  market.  I know this because I grew up and worked in it.  I think it may be- they are programed to buy the stuff they have been buying for years, I am a forgiener(not from OH), we don't deliver, or they are subconciously jealous of my program because we are having more success with just me as the entire staff than an entire agency is  having.

I have 3 out of 7 of my students working at real jobs with no support from these agencies.  Traditionally my students go on to nothingness with work.   If they do get work it is through one of the government agencies that usually pay employers to hire them.   It is almost unheard of to have a person with the level of disability I teach work in a competitive job with no support.  I have created my program from scratch on my own with no help, knew no one here in OH when I started it, get not a dime of funding for it, have no adult staff, have gotten all our contracts, found jobs for my students without any agency help, and now we are the top money maker in the distrtict surpassing the athletic dept (football, basketball games, fundraisers, etc).  .

I have prettty much been a loner all my life because I speak from my heart and not my head and do not jell with the apathy that is the norm for the people that work with disabilities.   The state, and public school mindset actually believe these people will never work on their own.  IMO it is their inability in  finding/creating meaningful programs for the disabled people they serve that perpetuates this.   I find my field to be filled with apathy.   I work hard on not judging others and get along with pretty much everyone on the chit chat level and I think I am well liked.  I have won awards here that required the backing of these agencies.  They also asked me to be on the Board of Directors.   I get lots of press, radio, tv coverage.  So why don't they use us?  It hurts to know the people that will take over my students management once they graduate operate this way.  I am not about competition.  I am about making life meaningful for people with disabilities and IMO the only way to do this to work together.   I prefer to keep to myself until good vibe people come along because negative vibe people just bring me down.   The Dept of Developmental Disabilities just hired a new top guy.  We have hit it off.  He thinks positive and speaks from his heart.  I hope this grows into better things for the people they serve.   I guess if I ever get unconfused with the schools and state folks that run my kids lives I will be like them. :)  Walter
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:52:47 AM by waltertore »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
 Walter, you need to visit the board of education with a proposal!!! they should be using your facility for at least part of their business. i would be pissed too.

just a note on hiring challenged employees. if you were in oberlin i would defiantly hire your workers, i know they are being taught to do the best as they are capable of doing.
 i have two challenged employees ,one has been with me for 25 years and the other 15. if you observe them, they more than make up for whatever their short coming may be in a lot of other ways. the biggest is their pride in how well they do the jobs assigned to them.they also bring the workforce moral  up. they do not understand hate, and if they have good care giving they do not worry much, this gives them positive attitudes most times. i also use them to weed out my workforce,if an employee doesn't show them respect they are gone. i feel that if you do not respect your fellow employees you will not respect customers. i love what you are doing and you deserve the support of your school system. larry

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
Walter, you need to visit the board of education with a proposal!!! they should be using your facility for at least part of their business. i would be pissed too.

just a note on hiring challenged employees. if you were in oberlin i would defiantly hire your workers, i know they are being taught to do the best as they are capable of doing.
 i have two challenged employees ,one has been with me for 25 years and the other 15. if you observe them, they more than make up for whatever their short coming may be in a lot of other ways. the biggest is their pride in how well they do the jobs assigned to them.they also bring the workforce moral  up. they do not understand hate, and if they have good care giving they do not worry much, this gives them positive attitudes most times. i also use them to weed out my workforce,if an employee doesn't show them respect they are gone. i feel that if you do not respect your fellow employees you will not respect customers. i love what you are doing and you deserve the support of your school system. larry

Hi Larry:  Thanks for hiring people with disabilities and for your support!  You have discovered the beauty of these people.  This is what keeps me going to work.  I am lucky to work with such wonderful students yet am very disatified with the system I work in because of the way they handle special needs students.  This is a nationwide thing.  My district is way on the good side and convincing them to build my classroom as a commercial kitchen and going through the learning curve of having a real working business inhouse wouldn't happen in 99% of school districts.  The stars lined up right on this endeavor. The district does use us but it is on a hit and miss basis.  I think the main reason we are used is because people have a passion for employing the disabled and they have tried our food.  When we aren't used I think it is because the people are overwhelmed with the nuts of being in the school system today and go with the easiest, which is usually the place they have used regularly, and have not tried our food and or really don't put much priority on quality.  There is not a very good communication between schools in a district and with other districts.  I am amazed when people from our district have never heard of us and am equally amazed when they have.  The same goes with other districts.  Because what I do is not being done anywhere in the country on the scale we are people simply don't get it.  I think this is what is going on. 

I am not all that familiar with OH.  I checked the map and see you are quite a distance from here.  If you are in the area please let me know.  I would love to feed you some pizza and check out our operation.  What kind of work do you do?  Walter

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:37:57 PM by waltertore »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
 Hi Walter ,I am in the pizza business . I seem to spend all of my free time on this forum reading about pizza , cannot get enough. I would love to visit your kitchen.

scott123

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
Walter, if you're ever near Oberlin, you should swing by Larry's place.

http://www.lorenzospizza.com/

I haven't had his Neapolitan pies, but I've had his pan pizzas and they're really good. It's completely different than NY style. My best description, and I hope this does offend Larry, would be 'pizza hut-ish pies made by someone who actually knows their way around dough'.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
Scott:  Thanks for sharing Larry's site. 

Larry:  I will definetly stop in whenever I make it up your way.   My cousinfrom NJ  lives in Avon and we visit once a year or so.  I will plan a stop at your place next time we go.   Right now we have 2 senior dogs so travel is not happening but when they pass we will be free to roll.   You have been doing it a long time!  What ovens do you use?   I have a recording studio in a detached building on our property.  It has central air/heat, a bed and full bath.   Lots of my old musician friends come out to visit and they stay here.  You are welcome to it as well.  I hope to meet you someday.   

Today we did my 19th consecutive Thanksgiving feast(in 3 different states so far) for our regular supporters.   We had about 100 people eat with us.  We made the full turkey day spread with apple pies, pumpkin pies, and chocolate cheesecake for dessert.  Everything was scratch made and the closest we came to pizza was handmade dinner rolls :)  I thought about making turkey pizzas but there is something special about giving a free turkey meal to people.  School staff are notorious for sniffing out free food.  People working in schools never have to deal with profit or debit.  We use everything on the campus  and never think about paying for it.  So there is a give it all to me for free mentality in the field.   Over the years this use to stress me out because people that never bought anything from us would come to eat. I finally figured it out.  If a free loader showed up I would say "thanks for coming but the free meal is for our regular customers/supporters. If you want to become one you can start by donating $5 for todays meal."  Luckily no free loaders came.  I kind of spread the word on the grapevine beforehand.  People don't realize we do not get a cent from the district to run our program.  We either sink or swim.  Just like a real business.  This is good because it makes us work for our keep.  I am tired but have the next 5 days off.  I am pretty darn lucky to have such a set up.   Walter
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:39:39 PM by waltertore »

pizzapan