Author Topic: Escalon 6-in-1's...I'm sold!  (Read 1730 times)

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
Escalon 6-in-1's...I'm sold!
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:04:03 PM »
I have been trying to improve on my deep dish pizzas and picked up on the 6-in-1's here. I found them locally here in SoCal for $1.99 28oz can (wish they were less $$!), but wow, what a great taste! I'm NOT a big fan of tomato chunks in sauce..much prefer a smoother tomato product, but these are just right for a ddep dish pizza.

I do wish they were just a bit thicker in consistency. Now I don't want to drain them and lose any of that great flavor, so what can I add to thicken them and get rid of the slight wateriness in the pizza one I dump (ok, spoon) an entire can onto my deep dish pizza? Tomato paste? Shoot, that powder stuff that I can't think of name of right now?

What a great product...even better than the Muir Glen tomatoes that I thought were the best around here!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Escalon 6-in-1's...I'm sold!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:36:03 AM »
Do you mind sharing what store you found you 6-in1's? I have been using their marinara just the same, and the texture and flavor profile is perfect for my tastes.

Thanks Lydia
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:16:43 PM »
No problem...I found them at Claro's Italian Markets...they have a few locations in Orange Co (Tustin) and the Inland Empire. Also online as well I think.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 09:33:05 AM »
Welcome to the "6in 1" fan club! ;D

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 07:26:59 PM »
For those pizza makers who live in the midwest , Gordon Food Service (GFS)  carries large 6 LB 9 oz restaurant size cans of 6 in 1 ground tomatoes for about $4.75 give or take.  they don't carry the small cans though.  Also SoFo foods in Toledo Ohio carries 6 in 1 in the smaller size cans + other pizza making supplies.