Author Topic: NP Bake Video  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Everlast

NP Bake Video
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
I've posted a number of pictures of NP pizza but never got around to shooting a decent video and posting it, so here it is. I had a leftover dough ball from the weekend that I fired up the other day. The dough is 62.5%HR, 2% Ischia, 3% salt, 48 fermentation at 65F, then 3 days in the fridge followed by a 3 hour proofing at 72F. The oven is a 2stone Inferno with a deck temperature of 850F. The bake time is about 1:40.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxrpe2Mm-ac&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxrpe2Mm-ac&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: NP Bake Video
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Everlast, very nice looking pie. I wonder why my pizza from the 2stone (kettle) has way more char on the bottom, at 750F than yours at 850F
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »
Great looking pie.  Crust looks great!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
Looking like the 2Stone pro that you are! Very good looking pie.

When you pick up the edge at the end its great to see both the crispy cornicione as well as the apparently pliable and tender center portion of the pie!

John K

Offline Everlast

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
Thanks all! Mark, assuming that a 2stone (kettle) means a 2stone Pizza Grill over a bbq kettle, I would speculate that you have a direct, continuous source of heat hitting the underside of your stone. On my Inferno, I set the burner position to the very back so there is the least amount of direct heat possible hitting the underside of the stone. During a 90ish second bake, perhaps your deck heat, even at 750F, is being replenished more than mine at 850F. In other words, when I launch my pizza, maybe it sucks up all the 850F degree heat and lowers the deck to 700F for part or all of the bake, whereas yours keeps a continuous 750F for the entire bake.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »
Thanks all! Mark, assuming that a 2stone (kettle) means a 2stone Pizza Grill over a bbq kettle, I would speculate that you have a direct, continuous source of heat hitting the underside of your stone. On my Inferno, I set the burner position to the very back so there is the least amount of direct heat possible hitting the underside of the stone. During a 90ish second bake, perhaps your deck heat, even at 750F, is being replenished more than mine at 850F. In other words, when I launch my pizza, maybe it sucks up all the 850F degree heat and lowers the deck to 700F for part or all of the bake, whereas yours keeps a continuous 750F for the entire bake.

Actually my 2 stone sits on top of a propane camp stove. I too have the burner at the far back of the stone. I usually put spacers under the stone for temps higher than 700F and this seems to help.

Your pies look great.
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
Great looking pie.  Crust looks great!

^^^
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
Nice video, and even nicer pizza!

I just placed my order for a 2stone Inferno using the $850 discount coupon that Willard is giving members of the forum. I can't wait for it to arrive, and I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:07:56 PM »
On my Inferno, I set the burner position to the very back so there is the least amount of direct heat possible hitting the underside of the stone.

So the burner position is adjustable on the Inferno, and it sounds like most people keep it set to the back-most position. I assume this allows the flame to touch only the outer edge of the rotating stone as to not super-heat it.

My question is this: How difficult is it to set the position of the burner? Is it bolted in place? I wonder if it would be possible attach a lever to the burner so that you could pull the burner forward to heat the stone from directly underneath, then, when you're ready to bake, push the burner to the rear-most position so the open flame can char the cornicione?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »
The burner is on a slide and there is an arm attached to it that protrudes out from the middle of the oven. Pulling the arm all the way out positions the burner under the stone. Pushing the arm all the way in positions the burner towards the back of the stone. It moves very easily with minimal effort. I pull the slide lever all the way out for warm up which takes about 10-13 minutes at full throttle. Once the oven is to temp (around 850F degrees measured with a laser thermometer at the center of the stone), I push the arm all the way in so the burner is at the back and I keep it there. In between pizzas, I keep the flame height approximately 1 inch over the stone. Immediately after launching a pizza, I turn the flame up so it just starts to bend around the curve where the back of the oven meets the top of the oven. I find I can keep the temp fairly consistent using this method. During bakes I may turn the flame up or down slightly based on the level of leoparding and how quickly the leoparding appears.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
That looks amazing!  Great pie!  And thanks for the notes on your technique with the 2Stone...

Makes me curious enough to want to buy one!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Makes me curious enough to want to buy one!

Now's the time to seriously consider one with the $850 discount for forum members.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
With me in the process of opening a restaurant and transitioning the operations of the mobile woodfired oven to my partners, I don't think the wife is going to go for me getting an oven sadly.. =(  Hopefully Willard will be willing to provide some sort of discount in the future?

Btw, where the info on the discount he's providing?  Not to hijack the thread...

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »
Btw, where the info on the discount he's providing?  Not to hijack the thread...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30602.0

Offline Matthew

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 06:28:38 AM »
I've posted a number of pictures of NP pizza but never got around to shooting a decent video and posting it, so here it is. I had a leftover dough ball from the weekend that I fired up the other day. The dough is 62.5%HR, 2% Ischia, 3% salt, 48 fermentation at 65F, then 3 days in the fridge followed by a 3 hour proofing at 72F. The oven is a 2stone Inferno with a deck temperature of 850F. The bake time is about 1:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxrpe2Mm-ac&feature=youtu.be

What is the temperature of the upper stone during your bakes?  Also, when you crank the burner up all the way does the flames come from both rows on the burner or just the outer row?

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline Everlast

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »

What is the temperature of the upper stone during your bakes?  Also, when you crank the burner up all the way does the flames come from both rows on the burner or just the outer row?

The flames alway come from both rows no matter how much the gas is turned up. You can see it in the video if you look closely. The top stone is usually between 800-875F when I launch a pizza.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 05:24:37 AM »
Thank you kindly.

pizzapan