Author Topic: Ideal outdoor oven for Neopolitan Pizza  (Read 1069 times)

Offline bradsynergy

• I Love Pizza!
Ideal outdoor oven for Neopolitan Pizza
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »
Hi everyone...

I am looking to install a WFO in my backyard for Neopolitan Pizza...doesn't need to be particularly mobile but it would be great if it was on some kind of stand that could potentially be moved in the event we sold the house or something. 

I've looked around the forums and have seen some negative feedback on the Forno Bravo / Classico ovens and their dome height. 

Would rather just get this right the first time and pay a bit more if needed.  Do you have any suggestions?  Budget wise I'm looking to keep this under $5k all-in...needs to be able to handle the sometimes ludicrous Chicago winter temperatures.

I'm new here so I appreciate everyone's advice...and I look forward to contributing to the forum,

Thank you very much,
Brad

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: Ideal outdoor oven for Neopolitan Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »
Have you considered building it yourself?   You could build a really nice oven for half of your budget.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline bradsynergy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
Have you considered building it yourself?   You could build a really nice oven for half of your budget.

I have...but the general issue is that I have zero experience with any kind of masonry.  I suspect I could employ someone to build it to spec.  Anyone have specs they would recommend.

Appreciate the comments,
B

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »
Hi Brad - I have a Forno Bravo Primavera 70 and get great results. The dome is 12.5in. I am not sure where the negative comments came from, but authentic NP pies can come from the oven. The only downside is the higher conductivity of the floor and the 27in size. Price wise it is affordable.

John

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »
I have...but the general issue is that I have zero experience with any kind of masonry.  I suspect I could employ someone to build it to spec.  Anyone have specs they would recommend.

Appreciate the comments,
B

Most masons have never built a wood oven, so unless you get somebody that has that kind of knowledge,  a mason can't help you much beyond building the base and enclosure

I just recently referred somebody  else on here to the forno bravo forum.  They have free downloadable oven plans and a helpful board to get you through the tough spots.  I would say that most of the people that have built the pompeii oven have had little to no masonry experience prior to building one. And like I said in the other post, while not the ideal pizza oven, it is a good overall oven and forgiving to build. Here is a link if you want to explore that route.......a few of us are on that board too.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:59:42 PM by stonecutter »

John Ruskin

Offline pnicefor

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »
Hi Brad,

I agree with John. I have a fb andiamo.   I love it.  My only regret is that I wish it was a bit larger. However,  I have made approximately 50 to 60  twelve inch pies since august of this year and it works just fine.  Plus it has wheels on it.  If you want some pictures or a video let me know.

Pete
EXCERCISE
EX ● ER ● CISE
EX ● AR ● SIZE
EGGS ● ARE ● SIDES
FOR BACON

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
The dome on every Pompeii oven I've seen is too high to be ideal for NP. Just a thought if you decide to build one.

If it was me, I'd probably build out a FGM 950 if I opted not to build from scratch.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
Not ideal for NP, but it's not like it's impossible to make NP in a pompeii ( Tuscan dome) that's for sure. 

A hemispherical dome is more forgiving to build than an elliptical one , that is a plus for new builders. 

John Ruskin

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Not ideal for NP, but it's not like it's impossible to make NP in a pompeii ( Tuscan dome) that's for sure. 

A hemispherical dome is more forgiving to build than an elliptical one , that is a plus for new builders.

The biggest issue with the Pompeii design for pizza in a home environment is the use of medium duty firebricks for the floor.  That's an easy fix, just source a lower conductivity hearth.

For a commercial oven, or to satisfy an idealist like myself you want a low dome, but for a home oven where you can babysit each pie the higher dome of the Pompeii is fine, just means you will need to dome the pizza. 
-Jeff

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »
The biggest issue with the Pompeii design for pizza in a home environment is the use of medium duty firebricks for the floor.  That's an easy fix, just source a lower conductivity hearth.

For a commercial oven, or to satisfy an idealist like myself you want a low dome, but for a home oven where you can babysit each pie the higher dome of the Pompeii is fine, just means you will need to dome the pizza.

Only IF med duty are used, which is only one of the recommendations,  not a necessity of the Pompeii design.  And you're correct, it's an easy fix with low duty brick.   I was assuming this oven is for personal use,  not commercial. If I'm wrong, then agreed, the Tuscan dome wouldn't be a very good choice in that setting.

Btw, I am not advocating the Pompeii as a superior oven...it has some good points, and some shortcomings.   I have built one for myself in the past, partly to have freedom of speech, another  because I wanted to.  The historic beehives I have restored are similar in shape, being a hemispherical dome, but they had squirrel tail flues or vented directly into the fireplace.  I have built several Neapolitan domes too, but always with a straight flue.

I am in the planning stages of another oven right now (another Neapolitan),  but this time I'm going to vent it over the dome because I don't want the chimney up front when I finish the outside.  Should be a fun project.

Brad, sorry for the highjacking....
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:35:38 AM by stonecutter »

John Ruskin

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
The is a low dome oven plan available on the net...I think it was put together by on old member here.  I think I paid 10 bucks.  While i haven't built it, it looked pretty good, right down to the exhaust set up.  I'm no expert, but it is available......you should be able to google it.  I'm sure people with lots of building experience may find some faults.

pizzapan