Author Topic: magic ovens  (Read 2903 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
magic ovens
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »
Many here know that I run a stack of 1970's blodgett 1000 ovens.  I have worked with various professional ovens over the years in both baking, bread, and pizza.   For some reason the oven universe shinned on me with these ovens.  I paid $1,200 for the pair and they have the original stones in them.  Today we had a slow day and I took temp reading on the 4 corners , and center of the stones.  There was no more than a 8 degrees variance and 3 of the corners were within 4 degrees of each other.   We do not rotate our pies because they cook evenly.  Recently I spent a couple days on brand spanking new BP forno classic oven and had to rotate the pies a couple times during a bake.  At first I thought- "man I will probably want a couple of these fancy things" but afterwards concluded I will keep mine anyday over those new ones.  I got some good time oven mojo in these blodgetts.   These babies will go wherever I go.   Walter
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:21:02 AM by waltertore »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: magic ovens
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
Many here know that I run a stack of 1970's blodgett 1000 ovens.  I have worked with various professional ovens over the years in both baking, bread, and pizza.   For some reason the oven universe shinned on me with these ovens.  I paid $1,200 for the pair and they have the original stones in them.  Today we had a slow day and I took temp reading on the 4 corners , and center of the stones.  There was no more than a 18 degrees variance and 3 of the corners were within 4 degrees of each other.   We do not rotate our pies because they cook evenly.  Recently I spent a couple days on brand spanking new BP forno classic oven and had to rotate the pies a couple times during a bake.  At first I thought- "man I will probably want a couple of these fancy things" but afterwards concluded I will keep mine anyday over those new ones.  I got some good time oven mojo in these blodgetts.   These babies will go wherever I go.   Walter
Good to know.  Sometimes its better to be stuck in the 70s.
Dave

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:21:22 AM »
opps I meant 8 derees

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
Walter
We use the same ovens...we've got 12 of em all together.   We like the ovens so much that we won't buy the new versions.

I think one of the reasons, IMO, that your oven runs so well is that you have the original stones.  The original stones contain asbestos.  Can't buy them anymore in the USA.  If someone isn't selling them used, you're kinda stuck with the newer ones.  We've travelled to Canada in order to bring back as many as we could find.  I really don't think the asbestos is a big deal, but like additives in flour, the government frowns on it.   I'm pretty sure the asbestos used is minimal....but....

This info is simply stuff passed down in the business...I've never read any articles about it.   We have, however, cooked on both types of stones, at the same time, for an entire Friday dinner service, and it's undeniable that the old, original stones hold the heat AND regain the heat faster than the new.

Great ovens.....I would love to rig them up to run a bit hotter though.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
Walter
We use the same ovens...we've got 12 of em all together.   We like the ovens so much that we won't buy the new versions.

I think one of the reasons, IMO, that your oven runs so well is that you have the original stones.  The original stones contain asbestos.  Can't buy them anymore in the USA.  If someone isn't selling them used, you're kinda stuck with the newer ones.  We've travelled to Canada in order to bring back as many as we could find.  I really don't think the asbestos is a big deal, but like additives in flour, the government frowns on it.   I'm pretty sure the asbestos used is minimal....but....

This info is simply stuff passed down in the business...I've never read any articles about it.   We have, however, cooked on both types of stones, at the same time, for an entire Friday dinner service, and it's undeniable that the old, original stones hold the heat AND regain the heat faster than the new.

Great ovens.....I would love to rig them up to run a bit hotter though.

I hear you.  I agree the stones are the trick.  I grew up on these ovens and  the oldtimers I knew and worked with back in NJ in the 70's loved the 1000's and I have yet to find one that does a better job.   A friend I have helped start up a small bagel business bought 1048's with new stones.  They don't cut it for me even though they have been upgraded to 120k btus.  Scott on the forum has some moding ideas for them.  Do you have any original stones you would be willing to sell or know where I can buy some?  I have one cracked stone on our lower oven.  It is no big deal but I would like to find one or 2 extras for backup.   Coveyor ovens are the norm here.  There are lots of 1000's sitting in corners/storage here in Ohio but I have not found any with original stones or loose original  stones.  What temp do you run at?  I can push ours to about 570-5 degrees.  After that uneven cooking happens.  Where are you located?  Thanks.  Walter
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:51:16 AM by waltertore »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Hey walter
We're in ct.......we are signing on the dotted line for a 4rth store near a huge mall in manchester ct. We will be looking for 2 or 3 double stacks.  If i find any original headstones, i will slide as many as you need to the side......and it keeps getting harder and harder, but any extra are yours if you want.

We run at 550 (like 85% of ct brick oven pizza).  When service is really b slapping us, we up it ti 575, just to keep the temp at around 550 .  A decent Friday night, 5-9, we will do around 250to300 pies....that's a lot of opening and closing of the door.   Maybe the cooks  aren't bringing the dough balls to room temp, meaning they are colder going in, lots of  sweeping out ovens.......the temp, even in these can drop.

One of the big things we've noticed about 1000s is that the oven guy doesn't have to spin the pizza anywhere NEAR as much as other ovens...this point is HUGE.......cause making an evenly cooked pie , one at a time, and making an evenly cooked pie when you are babysitting around 16 to 24 pies at once, plus flatbreads, onion tarts, calzones, slices and what ever else u got...well, it's nice not to have to turn as much.

But, honestly, if we come across any asbestos stones, i will DEFINATELY keep one for you......maybe I can tempt  a hoe to recipe for the bread you claim is so easy to make.

Nick

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »
Nick: You are putting out some serious numbers there!  I don't spin pies in our ovens.  The bit of uneveness that results is not a big enough deal to mess with.  It keeps the ovens hotter too with the door closed more.  Thanks for the stone thoughts!  I wonder what they cost nowadays?   I will take a couple if you find enough and can pay to have them crated/shipped so it is no sweat on you.  Do you want the bread recipe that is in the oven I pictured above with the cracked stone or my regular french baguette that is a one day bread?  If so on the pictured bread above, it is an ice water based dough and fermented overnight fermented overnight.  Let me know and I will pm it to you. My family is all still back in NJ.  We have some senior dogs and once they pass we will be free to travel more.  I would love to stop by one of your places and check out the action. Walter 

french bread first/second picture

overnight ice water bread third picture
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:44:09 AM by waltertore »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
Thanks Walter

Our oven and stone search will probably begin in the next few weeks.   If I find some stones, youre name will be on them.   As soon as I can get these, I will get in touch with y our bread offers.  They both look so great.  I love the caramelization on the crust.  How the hell is bread easier to make than pizza??!!

Check us out at JOEY GARLICS.   Don't get too turned off by the family style web site.  Not that we AREN'T....but we make as much from scratch as possible.....and we give big portions at decent prices.....doggy bags are a must.  We get decent reviews and we are packed 24 7.   Look, its not what I want to do with the rest of my life, but now, for the first time in my life.....I can pay my bills, save for retirement, send my kids to college without going broke.  I have owned businesses since 89.  I have ALWAYS been packed.....but never saw a healthy bottom line.  Just goes to show  you that there is a lot more to this thing than simply good food.

I wish I had more control over the pizza side of our business, but, unfortunately, I don't.  BUT, I do notice everything, and I am planning HOW I want to run pizza, if and when I start a new concept.   Ive been saying that for years now, but a gig like this is a hard one to leave.

Ill keep in touch.  Keep up the great work......much admiration
Nick

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
Hi Nick: I will check the site out and send you the recipes later today.   I am happy you are making it.  The food business is one of the hardest I have been around.  Right up there with being a musician as far as the constant hussle goes :)  I hope to open my own little shop with my 2-1000's when I retire in about 8 or so years.  It will be a small place with a few tables and around a 1000 sq ft total.  I will make all the pies and have a disabled person or 2 helping with prep, cleaning, and my wife on the register and doing the books.  I will play sinatra and that era sound all day and chat with people as I make pies in plain view.   If I make 40 pies a day and am open 3-4 days a week it will be all good.  I will probably do some breads like above and an Italian sesame seed semolina.  Anyway, we have no kids, and our overhead is real low.  Thanks so much for looking for those stones.  I hope to keep the old school ma and pa shop concept alive till I die.  I have seen the world many times over with my music so there is no push to see anything anymore outside the range of my feet and bicycle.  I just have to wait until the universe lines it all up for the pizzeria in a nice small town that has enough people to appreciate a good pie.   Take care.   Walter
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:42:11 PM by waltertore »

scott123

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
Walter, if you make the trip up to CT, let me know and maybe we can go together.  I've been meaning to go up- not just for the pizza, but for the other foods Nick offers. Based on some of things he's said, both on the forum and in person, when it comes to classic Italian American cuisine, I don't think there's many people with his level of knowledge.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
Scott:  Will do.  It may be a few years before our dogs pass.  Walter

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
Walter, if you make the trip up to CT, let me know and maybe we can go together.  I've been meaning to go up- not just for the pizza, but for the other foods Nick offers. Based on some of things he's said, both on the forum and in person, when it comes to classic Italian American cuisine, I don't think there's many people with his level of knowledge.

Scott if you go up let me know, I have been meaning to get up there too

scott123

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »
Walter, okay.

Deb, will do.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »
I wish we lived closer.  From here to Newark NJ is a solid 11 hours.  Our dogs go everywhere with us and it is a real hassle traveling with them. I hope they live 10 more years but they are on the short end of life.  Sometimes I go back by myself during the summer.  If I do we will definetly do some pizza travels!  Walter

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 03:15:06 AM »
WOW! A pair for $1,200? This would be great.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 06:14:21 AM »
WOW! A pair for $1,200? This would be great.

they are out there hidden in storage- been replaced by conveyor ovens.  Only back in the NYC up to NE area are these ovens still a top choice.  The midwest, south, and west, have mostly gone to conveyor ovens.  Make sure you get a good service guy to check them out first.  If they are in bad shape you could end up with scrap metal or if fixable, up to a few grand each in repair.  Walter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 08:19:19 AM »
Fascinating....we also use these Blodgetts and 30 years ago picked up 2 stacks for free from a Pizza Hut because they were upgrading to newer ovens.  Of all the years of making pizzas, I have never rotated my pizzas in these ovens, never had too...so I always wondered why everyone else was. 
John

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
When you guys go looking for these blodgett 1000's, how do you go about doing so? I asked walter via pm, was curious to know what you guys do to find ovens. Do you just drive around looking for closed down pizza shops Or do you just use the internet?

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »
When you guys go looking for these blodgett 1000's, how do you go about doing so? I asked walter via pm, was curious to know what you guys do to find ovens. Do you just drive around looking for closed down pizza shops Or do you just use the internet?

I would go to every pizza shop you can find and ask if they have any or know of any for sale.  Many people are upgrading to conveyor ovens or larger deck ovens. Most pizzerias that will be using them will be small operations and probably don't  have space to just put them in a corner.   Ideally you can find some that are currently running in a shop that they would be willing to sell you at a very good price. Walter
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:03:03 PM by waltertore »

Offline PizzaGuy209

• Working my way up!
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »
Thanks walter!

pizzapan