Author Topic: Why not oil pan with EVOO?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
Why not oil pan with EVOO?
« on: March 12, 2006, 11:29:53 AM »
I see that a few of the recipes warn not to oil pan with extra virgin olive oil.  Why?  Further how much oil should I use, should I just coat the bottom of the pan or have a thick film of oil?

Thanks
Dave

Offline buzz

Re: Why not oil pan with EVOO?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:42:29 AM »
One of the reasons not to use EVOO is because of its overpowering flavor. Another is its low smoke point, meaning that it will burn at high temperatures. Mario Batali, however, does all his deep frying and stovetop cooking with EVOO, so who's to say? Why not just oil the pan with a lower grade of olive oil, or something like canola oil, or margarine or butter (as does, for example, Giordano's). if you like the taste of the EVOO, you can drizzle some on the finished pizza. Or don't grease it at all--I don't!

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »
Sound good to me!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:53:04 PM »
For me it is because of the stong flavor.  I like EVOO and use it a lot, just not to oil my pans.

I put enough for a good coating of the bottom, not a "thin" coat nor so much as to have a lot of oil standing in the pan.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline ironcheflove

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 01:10:05 AM »
Coming from a working Chef, EVOO is a waste of money to cook with.  The heat of cooking breaks down the oil and the delicate flavor.  Just you regular Olive oil and save you EVOO for dressings and finishing foods.