Author Topic: Is Chicago style pizza, "pizza"?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Is Chicago style pizza, "pizza"?
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
Someone needs to go out on the streets and ask people to describe pizza.  How many average joes out there are going to say "200 gram balls of dough covered with 80 grams of san marzanos, covered with 100 grams of fresh mozzarella."  I think most of them will say something along the lines "dough sauce and cheese."

What I mean is, I think the general description you would get of pizza from the general public would apply to chicago deep dish as well as it would apply to NY, Neapolitan or sicilian pizza.

Maybe we should call all pizza by it's true name "open face calzone"

So if I ask someone to describe a cheeseburger and they say meat, cheese, and bun, then a Philly cheesesteak and a cheeseburger are the same as far as you are concerned?

Maybe so? That's probably more than what Chicago deep dish has in common with pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:44 PM »
What I mean is, I think the general description you would get of pizza from the general public would apply to Chicago deep dish as well as it would apply to NY, Neapolitan or Sicilian pizza.

I think this is the part that many here are missing. 90% of people that hang out here at the PMF for more than a few months fast become much more educated and informed about pizza and it's many variations and ARE NOT the "general public" anymore as it involves pizza anyway. You are right, the general public for the most part happy with pizza in any form and most are happy with a mediocre Pizza Hut or Domino's or for that matter a frozen pizza. But I think the great majority here have honed a sharper image as to what really great pizza is and it's defined limits and with a little time and effort how attainable really great pizza is right in your own home

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:41 AM »
Chicago already has the best steak, hot dogs and Italian beef.  Chicago is all about bigger is better, therefore the deep dish was created.  How can you not like 1lb of cheese in a thin flaky crust?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »
So if I ask someone to describe a cheeseburger and they say meat, cheese, and bun, then a Philly cheesesteak and a cheeseburger are the same as far as you are concerned?

Maybe so? That's probably more than what Chicago deep dish has in common with pizza.

Someone asks me to describe a Philly and I say "ribeye", onions, whiz and the best damn roll ever.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
Chicago is all about bigger is better, therefore the deep dish was created.  How can you not like 1lb of cheese in a thin flaky crust?

Iirc Chicago style pizza was created (or conceptualized) by a Texan-Ike Sewell.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2013, 11:52:39 PM »
John Stewart has officially changed his stance on Chicago pizza.  Malnatis flew some of their pies out there and the entire news panel was devouring it in the back room.  Funny New Yorkers.