Author Topic: Are artisinal Neapolitan Pizzerias going to be mass market soon?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: Are artisinal Neapolitan Pizzerias going to be mass market soon?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
I'd eat one of those 800 degree pizzas. Any day.

Heck, I'd even consider franchising one of their stores as opposed to trying to re-invent the same thing, only to have them come in and compete against me at a later date.

Has anyone eaten at one of their locations?

John K

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino

Offline Gags

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
Oh dang!  I knew Chipotle was trying a Chinese format, but now Neapolitan-style pizza?
There goes the neighborhood...

Here's their price on an 11" pie: 
MARGHERITA - sauce / mozzarella / basil     $5.75
I think this is typically a $12-14 item! 

I sure hope there's an informed customer base out there that knows this isn't traditional Neapolitan pizza...
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
Why isn't it?  It looks like a duck, is cooked like a duck, and I bet it tastes like a duck.

Offline Gags

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
You're probably right...maybe I meant to say it isn't traditional as in the way it was done a century ago.
But times they are a'changing.

And if I think of it in terms of my own behavior, I like to try hole-in-the-wall Mexican places, but if I want consistency, good grub, and a fair price, I occasionally will go to Chipotle...

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »
A century ago Neapolitan pizza was the Mcdonald's of the world.  They used cheap (local) ingredients, cooked them as fast and as simply as they could, and pumped them out to the streets for the workingman's meal.   

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 10:15:22 PM »
Nice point Tscarborough!

Kerry
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:18:17 PM by kerrymarcy »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:25 AM »
A century ago Neapolitan pizza was the Mcdonald's of the world.  They used cheap (local) ingredients, cooked them as fast and as simply as they could, and pumped them out to the streets for the workingman's meal.
Tom,

I have long  theorized that the starting point for what was to become the Neapolitan style of pizza was the realization that the local grains produced rather weak flours that required a very hot oven in order to produce a crust with decent coloration. So, they used indigenous materials to make ovens that could deliver the necessary heat. Once they found that they could make some pretty good pizzas, they perhaps discovered that there was a practical limit as to what they could put on the pizzas that would fully bake in the short bake times that were used to bake the pizzas. So, simplicity flowed from the short bake times.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
Tom,

I have long  theorized that the starting point for what was to become the Neapolitan style of pizza was the realization that the local grains produced rather weak flours that required a very hot oven in order to produce a crust with decent coloration. So, they used indigenous materials to make ovens that could deliver the necessary heat. Once they found that they could make some pretty good pizzas, they perhaps discovered that there was a practical limit as to what they could put on the pizzas that would fully bake in the short bake times that were used to bake the pizzas. So, simplicity flowed from the short bake times.

Peter
Good insight.....I have seen NP establishment menus that have number of toppings restrictions. :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"