Author Topic: Neapolitan pizza made with a rolling pin ... Test video and photos!  (Read 1277 times)

Offline gsans

• Just Neapolitan !
Well, well....

Sometimes it's better not I make tests .... but turning a discussion on another forum, a friend gave me a challenge "Make a Neapolitan pizza rolling pin to compare with a Neapolitan pizza made with hands ..."

Here is the test done with my small hands (oh my ruleau pin...) :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KHLe2kPVk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KHLe2kPVk</a>

And some pictures of the result. I must say I'm quite surprised with the results ... even flattened, we obtain a proper bread, but not as developed with the hands.

I think that this result also come from a good maturation of the dough (this is very important I think)

Well I apologize to the great master of the Neapolitan pizza (it was just a bet!)  :angel:

Offline derricktung

Re: Neapolitan pizza made with a rolling pin ... Test video and photos!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
Interesting... would love to have been onsite to try tasting some of those pizzas.   :drool:

You still get a pretty good rise on the crust, and I've always questioned the whole "pushing air out" explanation about using a rolling pin.  Besides your rolling experiment, here's why I question it:

Start with a dough with decent hydration, open it up by hand, and toss it into the oven with no toppings.  You'll see rise from the center, as well as a bit on the exterior, right?  (a rimmed puff, and larger center puff).

Go ahead and take a decent hydration dough and roll it out.  Throw it in the oven.  It puffs up, right?  There's still air in the dough itself that allows it to puff and rise.

So given the rolled dough, if you have toppings in the center, the air still has to go somewhere.  With the weight on the center, the air would likely move towards the rims, as it has the least resistance, thus still providing some level of rise.

I'd have to do some testing, but I'd be curious just how much more rise you can get when opening by hand vs. using a roller softly.  My theory is that with opening by hand, you'll capture more air and likely provide a more airy corncione, but I don't know if a roller would really reduce it that much...?

Anyone do multiple side by side tests at all around this in the past?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
What is the white sauce you are using ? Is it just bechamel sauce ?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »
Anyone do multiple side by side tests at all around this in the past?

I've done a dozen variations of this test. IIRC, I even did one with Chau where I pounded the edge with my fist and still got a great rise in the edge. The main problem with the applicability of my results for others is that the atmospheric pressure here at 7000 feet accentuates the expansion of gas bubbles during baking.

Another issue is the definition of "rolling softly" and how much of any reduced rise is due to thinner dough vs. bursting bubbles. The most definitive tests I have run are on a single pizza where, after opening it halfway with my hands, I rolled out one half and stretched out the other with my hands, trying to ensure the final crust was equally thin - hard to do. I would guess the rolled half rose about 10% less. Recently I rolled out a crust with a mechanical roller that I use for making croissants to about 1/8" uniform thickness. It was clear to see that much of the action of the roller was stretching rather than compression. The dough came out surprisingly good, more like a standard-issue Neapolitan pizza than my preferred extra-puffy crust pizza.

I'm not really motivated to do any more testing since I am so crazy about the extra-puffy crust that comes from hand stretching.

Offline gsans

• Just Neapolitan !
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
What is the white sauce you are using ? Is it just bechamel sauce ?

No ! Never béchamel cream on a neapolitan pizza, it's only cream and mozzarella.

Offline gsans

• Just Neapolitan !
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
I think having a good crumb with air and also has well developed alveoli and especially a good wheelbase (successful maturation) and proper hydration.

Here, the hydration of the dough was 68%

Offline derricktung

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »

I've done a dozen variations of this test. IIRC, I even did one with Chau where I pounded the edge with my fist and still got a great rise in the edge. The main problem with the applicability of my results for others is that the atmospheric pressure here at 7000 feet accentuates the expansion of gas bubbles during baking.

Bill, thanks for the insight!  Do you have a link at all where you documented some of this?  I'd be curious to see results/records.  If not, no worries... and thanks for doing the tests as well.  I figured I couldn't be the first one to come up with the idea. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »
Bill, thanks for the insight!  Do you have a link at all where you documented some of this?  I'd be curious to see results/records.  If not, no worries... and thanks for doing the tests as well.  I figured I couldn't be the first one to come up with the idea.

I don't recall having taken any videos. It was my intent to shoot the crust from the manual roller, but too much was going on. I'll do my best for the next time.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
No ! Never béchamel cream on a neapolitan pizza, it's only cream and mozzarella.

Is it normal sourcream or what ? What is the fat % ?

Offline gsans

• Just Neapolitan !
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 05:21:36 PM »
It's professional cream 12%, really good to cook with it.