Author Topic: Pizza sauce with fresh tomatoes  (Read 963 times)

Offline NickM

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza sauce with fresh tomatoes
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:30:44 PM »
Today I made pizza sauce from scratch and I really need advice on this matter.  It seems most people on here use canned tomatoes and I wanted to experiment with fresh tomatoes and it didn't go well.  I blanched and deseeded six vine ripened tomatoes and pureed with a stick blender.  The sauce was WAY TOO WATERY.  I added fresh oregano, basil, and garlic as well as very little ( 1/2 TSP of sugar and salt)  I didn't want to simmer or cook the sauce to thicken because I didn't want to lose flavor but I really need advice on using fresh tomatoes for sauce.  What type of tomatoes do you recommend and how do you prepare the sauce?  If necessary I will use canned tomatoes but I definitely need a thicker sauce next time.  I used just a minimal amount of the sauce on the pizza because it was so watery. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza sauce with fresh tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 01:41:08 AM »
I  put sliced and salted tomatoes in the dehydrator at 135F for a few hours to drive off some excess moisture and concentrate the flavor without killing any of that great fresh tomato taste. At this point the slices can be used as a topping or mashed up with other ingredients to make a sauce. I only do this with tomatoes I've just picked from my garden. I'd rather use canned tomatoes than "vine-ripened" ones from the market. Been disappointed too many times with ones that are lacking in flavor.   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
Nick,

If you want to use fresh tomatoes to make pizza sauce Les's sauce is very good in my opinion.  At http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11539.0.html it shows where I made Les's sauce different times with different tomatoes.  You do need some crushed tomatoes to add though. 

This is Les's thread on how to make his sauce at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.msg17063.html#msg17063

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
Nick,

This is Les's thread on how to make his sauce at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.msg17063.html#msg17063

Norma

Thank you for posting the link Norma - I just read the entire thread and am very impressed.  I am sure that Les' recipe is a winner. Every now and then I like to pick up grape tomatoes to put on a pie along with fresh garlic and anchovy filets, so it'll be nice to try it in a fresh tomato sauce as well.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
I use fresh tomatoes alot when I have them in season.  What I do is get a large bowl and a mixing spoon that can lay across the bowl.  I then blanch the tomatoes to get the skins off, slice them up, add a little salt, wrap them in a cheese cloth, then tie the cloth to the mixing spoon so it hangs over the bowl and then throw it in the refrigerator over night.  The next day the toms are usually "dry" enough so they don't make the pizza soggy.  And as for the liquid, I save it to use when I make sauces or for a really good bloddy mary!
tom