Author Topic: Freezing sauce?  (Read 849 times)

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
Freezing sauce?
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »
Does anyone freeze their sauce? I am making my own with Classico puree+water+spices. It is turning out pretty good, but the problem is the can is 28 oz and I dont use all that. I usually make 3 pizzas at a time, which would only take about half the can. I dont want to throw the rest of the sauce out though. Has anyone else had success in freezing their sauce and thawing and having it still taste the same with good consistency?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Freezing sauce?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:57 PM »
There are a few threads on this subject. I tried freezing but didn't like the crystalization and added water that the freezing seemed to impart. I usually only make one pie but use the tomatoes for other sauces. I only crush the # of tomatoes I need and keep the rest in a pretty air tight container in the fridge. The second pies sauce a few days later is not as good as the 1st but better than frozen, IMHO.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
I don't like to freeze sauce either.  I typically make pizza on Fridays and if I have any sauce leftover, I add it to my sauce for meatballs and pasta day on Sunday.  Good luck  :)

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
I do freeze any leftover sauce from market and it tastes the same to me when it is defrosted.  I am not sure, but think my sauce doesn't get watery when it is defrosted because it is almost like a paste to start with.  I need to add water to my market sauce and don't add water to any sauce until I am ready to use it.  I use the Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with added ingredients.  I noticed when freezing 6-in 1's and other sauces they do get watery when defrosted.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »
I've always had good results freezing sauce. I typically do a universal seasoned sauce that takes a couple hours to simmer, so I don't bother with any amount less than 56 ounces. That's good for about 20 pizzas or 6 prepared pasta entrees. I usually freeze half so my sauce is done-n-done for about a month. i never noticed it being too watery, or the flavor changing much.

pizzapan